GDT: Switzerland vs Canada @ 4pm PT/ 7pm ET/ 1am Thursday CEST

Mooche

Feb 21, 2013
Winnipeg
On the bright side, Stankoven needed that game.

The points are definitely nice but I just felt like overall he was much more dangerous tonight. He was getting into good offensive spots on the ice and playing off his teammates well.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
On the bright side, Stankoven needed that game.

The points are definitely nice but I just felt like overall he was much more dangerous tonight. He was getting into good offensive spots on the ice and playing off his teammates well.

2-3 big hits as well.

That one when the Swiss guy stepped up on him in the open ice was a beauty.

Reactions: Mooche

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
I think Canada will be ok. Switzerland is playing their typical suffocating game, but not generating much offense.
View attachment 577721

Crummy to lose Grieg, but the lineup is still deep.
View attachment 577720
Canada is fine, very good team that including the pre tournament game, has beaten everyone that’s of quality other than the US, who is very good. Canada is good but so are other teams and we can’t expect them to absolute crush every team every shift and game. Fact is Canada is 6-0 including that win vs Sweden and they will have warts like anyone other team.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
Makes it sweeter that the guy was trying to flatten him before he even had the puck

Neither one of them had the puck and Stankoven actually moved from off his line than what the Swiss guy did. Interference Stankoven if any.

Reactions: lawrence

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
Bedard not with McT...in the Coach's doghouse?
Bedard’s issue is he is really bad off the puck and playing in his own zone. Needs to work on his foot speed to get out on the D and get to the wall quicker to get pucks out. he doesn’t provide outlets for the D to make an outlet pass, one of the reasons if I was coach I’d be hesitant using him 5 on 5 against good teams. Same thing happened at the U18’s in the spring, was brutal away from the puck and he spent a lot of shifts chasing the puck. Obviously he’s young and will improve, but it’s an area of concern. A lot of fans just want the exciting players to play all game long but don’t see these things. There’s a reason this line spends large portions hemmed in.

Reactions: Mooche and HabSgt

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Neither one of them had the puck and Stankoven actually moved from off his line than what the Swiss guy did. Interference Stankoven if any.

Are we watching the same video? The guy clearly is going for the hit and Stankoven is going towards the puck but doesnt have it yet...dman shows no interest in playing the puck, Stankoven even tries to jump past him which is why he's off his feet when contact is made.

The fact that neither of them had the puck is exactly why it's interference. One guy went to initiate contact, the other was trying to make his way to the puck

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
Can't see this group winning gold. Dave Cameron is among the worst coaches I've ever seen at the WJC. Dude is in Spott / Lowry territory. After giving up a 3-0 lead to Russia in the 3rd period of the GMG in 2011, he should have been banned from ever coaching this squad again.
That’s your opinion of course but as we’ve seen here, even despite not playing their best, nobody has been able to beat them. Will Finland beat them in the semis? Who knows, but they’re certainly not as good of a team. USA is good but they also have their issues too.

prongertheman9

May 30, 2010
I don't know what to make of Bedard. Kinda wish we'd brought someone else <-- don't attack me too much, boys.

Maybe he's too young. Tonight was not his finest hour.
He is still the biggest game breaker on the team. You want him in your lineup when offence dries up and you need a goal. Obviously it’s not ideal for a 16 year olds confidence when the coach benches him for half the prior game but even in a bad game he still has 2 partial breakaways and set up multiple grade A looks. I’ve been watching him long enough to know that he will bounce back and make you eat your words.

Reactions: jj cale

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
Are we watching the same video? The guy clearly is going for the hit and Stankoven is going towards the puck but doesnt have it yet...dman shows no interest in playing the puck, Stankoven even tries to jump past him which is why he's off his feet when contact is made.

The fact that neither of them had the puck is exactly why it's interference. One guy went to initiate contact, the other was trying to make his way to the puck
Sure I know what happens there and why. And you're absolutely right.

I just wanted to point out that technically you could argue that:
- Stankoven was going for the puck
- Chanton was going for the hit
- Stankoven missed the puck
- Chanton let up
- due to their respective movement before all that happens it's actually more Chanton's ice that Stankoven's and he doesn't have to give way -> interference Stankoven

Not that I would go to court with that.

Reactions: Kcb12345

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
I know people will always over analyze a single game especially when we don't steam roll an opponent but I think that was a much closer game on the scoreboard than it actually was in terms of play. Credit to the Swiss for taking their few opportunities but Canada looked far better than them.

The top line has looked dominant all tournament long so I would bet on this being an off night rather than a concern going forward. It will be two tough games now but not much to worry about other than the risk that always exists in WJHC games.

Reactions: Statsy

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I still think we win Gold.

After games like this, you don't know what to think...

Were we awful or did the Swiss just have the best game of their young lives?
Not of their lives...for example Patenaude gave up a very soft one and our double underager defensemen also had one very bad moment each that led to two goals against. So Canada did get 3 relatively easy goals...but overall yeah. Overall it was by far the best game of the tournament. Even the PP was sharp. Most guys finally played up to their clublevel. If they play like that all tournament long they probably avoid Canada in the QF. Although they never win, Canada still often seems to bring out the best in our kids even if they underachieve for the rest of the tournament.

Last edited:
Reactions: jj cale

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Can't see this group winning gold. Dave Cameron is among the worst coaches I've ever seen at the WJC. Dude is in Spott / Lowry territory. After giving up a 3-0 lead to Russia in the 3rd period of the GMG in 2011, he should have been banned from ever coaching this squad again.
With the US out, our gold medal chances actually just got a huge boost. However, your point about Cameron stands. This guy is just a terrible coach.

Reactions: TimeZone and Mooche

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Stankoven reminds me a lot of Nathan Gerbe

Also love the physicality from the NYR prospects. 4 separate players have now been assessed 5 minute major’s. Cuylle, Sykora, Berard, and Chmelar. Othmann arguably had the two biggest hits of the tournament too

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad