Switzerland: Swiss young guns

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Hi Mattia,

You seem to know pretty well our youngsters ...

We had as a star in the 2010 draft Nino, 2011 Sven ... who will be our 2012 or 2013 ??

it is a challenging question ... but who would you see as top talent in 1,2 or 3 years ?
tks

ElNinoRocks

Dec 25, 2010
What about Alessio Bertaggia? I know he has a smallish frame but he seems to have a good first game in the WHL. I hope he gets selected next year.

swisdan

Feb 18, 2005
earth
qube.cpacon.com
Hi Mattia,

We had as a star in the 2010 draft Nino, 2011 Sven ... who will be our 2012 or 2013 ??

it is a challenging question ... but who would you see as top talent in 1,2 or 3 years ?
tks
I think Tanner Richard could be a good choice for the next draft...

Mattia Mei

Dec 1, 2010
www.contropiede.net
Hi Mattia,

tks

whoa whoa whoa whoa (....Lois this is not my Batman glass!)
First i am not an insider expert. I'm only a young amateur hockey writer looking for infos about this topic and sharing his poor impressions. And i can't follow every prospect around. Maybe better this year returning to live in central Switzerland.....

For sure swiss youngs players are in this moment very interesting: i see a rare generation of scorers (Vermin, Schäppi, etc.) in the 91-93 years flanking the traditional production of little but good Dmen (...comparisons with swiss military history could be interesting...).

At the moment it seems that Bertaggia and Simion are much talented probably more than Hofmann and Pestoni (Who wins the match also today with a great goal).
Above all Simion seems to look good for NA because of his size and cleverness. He will maybe go in juniors league the next year. A draft call seems for sure....

Then there are Tanner Richard, Andrighetto, Martschini.

But my intelligences are insufficient.

OT: What a score by J. Sprunger

Mattia Mei

Dec 1, 2010
www.contropiede.net
hiller conz genoni

sbisa diaz
weber loeffel
du bois von gunten
(Streit)

niederreiter bykov sprunger
vermin lemm brunner
bartschy hofmann pestoni
sciaroni schäppi lötscher
wick

For the olympiscs 2014.
What do you think? Sci-fi?
For sure in Switzerland we have a tradition of non kept promises. But never, as in football now, we had such prospect.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
hiller conz genoni

sbisa diaz
weber loeffel
du bois von gunten
(Streit)

vermin lemm brunner
bartschy hofmann pestoni
wick

For the olympiscs 2014.
For sure in Switzerland we have a tradition of non kept promises. But never, as in football now, we had such prospect.

I guess we can add Josi as D, Berger as C,

We start having a very decent team indeed !

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
Denis Malgin

A couple of years ago I noticed a prospect who had great stats for his age, and he has continued to impress me (stat vice).
His name is Denis Malgin and is the son of famous (in Swiss at least I guess) Albert Malgin. Denis is from 1997 and of course still very young. He has been playing most of his youth in Biel but is currently playing in ZSC Lions (Novizen Elite) and GCK Lions (Mini Top).

Does anybody in here know about him, and has seen him play? I would be very interested in getting further information if possible. I suppose he will play for team Swiss when he reach the age (and he is good enough), since he has been living his whole life there?

Thank you in advance.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=117376

Last edited:

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
hiller conz genoni

sbisa diaz
weber loeffel
du bois von gunten
(Streit)

vermin lemm brunner
bartschy hofmann pestoni
wick

For the olympiscs 2014.

Don't forget that the Olympics are less than two and a half years away, some of the current players you left out (Ambühl, Hirschi, Monnet, Déruns, Romy, Blindenbacher...) won't be that old. On the other hand, I'm not sure if guys like Loeffel, Schäppi or Bärtschi will have developped enough in such a short time.

Then you have some players like Bykov, Pestoni or even Sprunger who I can't see ever being good enough for that level.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Hiller, Conz, Genoni

Streit - Diaz
Sbisa - Josi
Blindenbacher - Weber
Von Gunten

Wick - Ambühl - Niederreiter
Brunner - Monnet - S.Bärtschi
Sprunger - Lemm - Romy
Déruns - Berger - Simon Moser
Gardner

Maybe: Lötscher, Trachsler, Savary (both strong defensive Centers), Du Bois, Hirschi, Stephan

Especially the defensive Lineup is very strong. Maybe I forgot something in the Offence.

swisdan

Feb 18, 2005
earth
qube.cpacon.com
Hiller, Conz, Genoni

Streit - Diaz
Sbisa - Josi
Blindenbacher - Weber
Von Gunten

Wick - Ambühl - Niederreiter
Brunner - Monnet - S.Bärtschi
Sprunger - Lemm - Romy
Déruns - Berger - Simon Moser
Gardner

Maybe: Lötscher, Trachsler, Savary (both strong defensive Centers), Du Bois, Hirschi, Stephan

Especially the defensive Lineup is very strong. Maybe I forgot something in the Offence.

I like your lineup... mine would be pretty much the same.

Great expectations about Brunner and Moser too.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Brunner said in an interview with the Tagesanzeiger that he already had an offer from an NHL team this spring which he rejected because of his injury. He also said that if he gets another offer he'll take it and if he continues playing like he is playing at the moment (also at the WC) he'll surely get an offer. He's such a smart player.

Mattia Mei

Dec 1, 2010
www.contropiede.net
Don't forget that the Olympics are less than two and a half years away, some of the current players you left out (Ambühl, Hirschi, Monnet, Déruns, Romy, Blindenbacher...) won't be that old. On the other hand, I'm not sure if guys like Loeffel, Schäppi or Bärtschi will have developped enough in such a short time.

Then you have some players like Bykov, Pestoni or even Sprunger who I can't see ever being good enough for that level.

I agree with you on the first part. My was a pro vocation.

I disagree with the other rosters that are very conservative.
I really disagree on Bykov and Pestoni.

We can't thing forever to ever defend and maybe score. We need people who score. And these two are also very good d players.

I disagree with a lot of people on this website who says that Pestoni is not a good prospect and hofmann he is. I think that a very clever player, who defend, can pass, has a great shot, use his body very good despite the height and fight on every puck, he is better than an excellent skater with good skill.
I think by now that Pestoni and Vermin are good prospects like hofmann is.

I am sure that Bykov and Pestoni are by now good enough: for sure i have had enough of mediocrity of romy et socii.
I trust in a 20 years player who de facto has 1 point pro game and in 13 games a +10 stat (on 11 points, a good part of that in pp ==> very very few puck in own net for his trio)
I trust in a swiss center (and we need center!!) who has by now the same number of points then Brunner.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
You have to understand that NLA success doesn't necessarly translate well to international hockey. To play at the international level, a player needs to bring something either through his skating or through his physical play. That's the reason why a player whose strength and skating are above the NLA average like Paolo Duca (you seem more familiar with Ambrì players, so I'll use him as an example) can be dominant in Switzerland, but has limited success at the upper level.

I see guys like Pestoni and Bykov, and to a lesser extent Sprunger, who never had much success with the national team, in the same mould. They have good (or even great in the case of Pestoni) offensive zone instincts, but with their lack of strength and speed, they would get eaten alive by better players. On the other hand, you have guys like Savary with his speed or Romy with his strength who have proven useful in international tournaments. This is why some scouts see NHL potential in Hofmann, with proper development, his skating skill could end up being world class.

You also mention trying to play a more offensive system (which Switzerland has, in my opinion, been doing since Simpson is in charge). Teams have to play with their strength, which, in the case of Switzerland, are skating and hockey sense. Not a single Swiss player is remotely close from having world caliber hands (Sprunger is probably the closest, but as mentionned earlier, his lack of skating skills and physical strength limit his usefulness to some goals against bottom teams).

krax

Jul 25, 2007
A couple of years ago I noticed a prospect who had great stats for his age, and he has continued to impress me (stat vice).
His name is Denis Malgin and is the son of famous (in Swiss at least I guess) Albert Malgin. Denis is from 1997 and of course still very young. He has been playing most of his youth in Biel but is currently playing in ZSC Lions (Novizen Elite) and GCK Lions (Mini Top).

Does anybody in here know about him, and has seen him play? I would be very interested in getting further information if possible. I suppose he will play for team Swiss when he reach the age (and he is good enough), since he has been living his whole life there?

Thank you in advance.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=117376

Yes, impressive stats. Haven't seen him play yet, but I'll probaly see him this year.
Yes, he'll be allowed to play for Switzerland.
You can follow stats here: http://www.regioleague.swiss-icehoc...Action=List&MenuID=576&ID=2616&Menu=1&Item=29

His first step on a national level would be to crack the U16 roster (currently '96 borns):
http://www.swiss-icehockey.ch/SIH/nationalteams/de/u16_ansicht.php

k.

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
Thank you Krax.
I look forward to you report when you have seen him :handclap:

He should be able to crack the U16 roster, unless they out of principles don't allow U15 players to participate.

swisdan

Feb 18, 2005
earth
qube.cpacon.com
In the Bykov case... I'm now among the guys who think i could be interesting for the swiss squad. I had the same speech than Stv11 but i must admit it's a brand new Bykov version, a very better one than the 2010/11. Very good in his defensive job, can really avoid check or traffic, and great hockey sense. Ok, he's far from having the "internatioanl strenght" but i think like Simpson, he deserves some views with the national team on a long term. Especially the way he plays till now.

And as Switzerland has a great lack of good offensive centers (and Plüss becomes older and older...), It's not stupid to have a sharp look on Bykov.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Plüss also isn't our best center because he is a huge guy. It's all about skill and Bykov is of course a possibility. This is the only position I'm a little bit worried. The defensive core is looking great and has also some depth, we have some great wingers who are getting better but who can replace Plüss long-term?

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
when talking about Centermen:

Luca :eek::eek::eek::eek:i just played his first 2 games this season for ZSC after his injury. and I think he's finally mature enough to succede. When he gets his game together in near future, I can see him ending up on NT rather quickly. He's still the most skilled center prospect for Switzerland IMO.

and don't forget about Schäppi. He's the new Luca Cereda. big, intelligent and very mature for his age. good hands and shooting skills.

and when we look at the most recent drafts the Centerdepth (maybe not for NT but for the league) will pbl get better anyway.

starting with 88-generation:

Bykov, Gailland, F.Randegger, Genazzi
:eek::eek::eek::eek:i, Froidevaux, Bucher, Schlagenhauf, Schommer, E.Bianchi
T.Weber
R.Schäppi, R.Mcgregor, C.Baltisperger
S.Walser, G.Hofmann, G.Haas, Rexha
T. Richard
C.Bertschy, L.Balmelli

that's quite a bunch! let's hope a few get really good.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Luca :eek::eek::eek::eek:i

Since Duga was talking about him ... what happened to him exactly ? I remember the HF future grading him with a 8 or even 8.5 at the highest ... better than any other swiss players (now he is at 6.5). and then he started falling and falling and falling. from injury to ... injury to ... but he simply didn't play and came back to Switzerland ... and the downward movement continued, he was lent to a team ... (don't remember which one) ... and was injured again ... .

Finally he started playing with the Zurich Lions.

Does someone know what he went trough and what his real potential is !
tks

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
I don't know exactly the whole story, just remember that there were some problems with a working permit when he tried it in NA (or he wanted to play for an university but played as professional before in Switzerland or something similar). I was quite surprised that he cracked the roster of the Lions this season, we'll see how he develops. Yesterday he scored his first goal.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
I don't know exactly the whole story, just remember that there were some problems with a working permit when he tried it in NA (or he wanted to play for an university but played as professional before in Switzerland or something similar). I was quite surprised that he cracked the roster of the Lions this season, we'll see how he develops. Yesterday he scored his first goal.

Yeahh ... i remember this affair ... he ran into many odd things.
He never delivered.

+++

3 yeras later (present day) ... apparently his potential is their ... since he was contracted by the Lions for 2 years.

http://www.hockeyfans.ch/news/meldung/30071

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Sven Bärtschi

was named player of the week in WHL.
This guy spoils us and this type of things are not even reported in the common "planête hockey" or "hockeyfans".

And by the way with 17points in 8 games (vs 10 or 11games for his mates) he is 2nd in points at 1 point of the leader Brad Ross. and if we normalized his points (17 points in 8 games = 21.25 points in 10 games or 23.375 in 11 games. in other words he would be leading the scorings in WHL.

http://www.winterhawks.com/article/winterhawks-bartschi-whl-player-of-the-week

:bow: Bärtschi, if you keep up with the same pace ... we will gather a sect and worship you !
:)laugh: ridiculous fan speaking .... like are these guys equilibrated ?)

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Any comments on Gregory Hofmann's progress? He turned heads in Carolina's camp, but hasn't seemed to carry that momentum into play with Ambri-Piotta. Is it a lack of ice time or simply the kind of challenge most juniors have in the NLA?

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Good question, I must say I have not seen much of Ambri this season, he missed some games because of an injury, but if you compare him to the other "young gun" Pestoni (11 points in 16 games, 2nd of the team) there must be another reason. Any Ambri experts?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad