Switzerland: Swiss players in North America

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
A further development about Sbisa.

He is playing with the Flyers to replace Parent. Apparently he is playing very well. Has been lined up in the second D pair. Yesterday's game against Canadiens (who sent Weber to AHL), he played 21.05 minutes ... the 5th most used player of the whole roster ... which talks about his reliability ...

The discussion is wether they will send him back to AHL or not after 9 games. According to many on this board as well as newspapers ... he is more likely to stay in NHL due to the maturity / quality / sense of hockey he offers and displays.

Probably another Swiss field player in NH

18 yrs old and playing in NHL is an outstanding achievement.

another : Well done Luca !! Siamo dietro di te.

jonas234567

Sep 20, 2005
Hehe, but he indeed plays very good, saw him twice. He shows also very good defensive skills out there.

And Sbisa stays with the Flyers, great news for Swiss hockey. Next year Weber is following and with Josi another great defender is knocking on the NHL-door. And there are also rumours that Julien Sprunger is close to an agreement with a team, in fact several teams are interested in him.

jonas234567

Sep 20, 2005
There were some news in "Le Matin" I think where he told that he's talking with 3 teams and that he wants to get it done before christmas and that it looks very good. But no special teams where named.

Rafik Soliman

Feb 27, 2002
Lausanne/Zurich, SWI
Visit site
There were some news in "Le Matin" I think where he told that he's talking with 3 teams and that he wants to get it done before christmas and that it looks very good. But no special teams where named.

I'm not even sure if NHL-teams are allowed to sign players during the season?

The Brunnstrom-sweapstake were the same. A lot of talking but they weren't able to sign him until the season of the team was finished.... I could be wrong, but I think this is the way it is....

Roman Wick is also a player who wan't to get into the NHL and he has an outstanding season so far playing with Kimmo Rintanen and Tommi Santala in a line....

Rumours were around last year, that the New York Rangers were interessted in Beat Forster and Andreas Ambühl. But I'm not sure if there's something on that rumour?

koh19

May 19, 2006
Fribourg

The Brunnstrom-sweapstake were the same. A lot of talking but they weren't able to sign him until the season of the team was finished.... I could be wrong, but I think this is the way it is....

Roman Wick is also a player who wan't to get into the NHL and he has an outstanding season so far playing with Kimmo Rintanen and Tommi Santala in a line....

Rumours were around last year, that the New York Rangers were interessted in Beat Forster and Andreas Ambühl. But I'm not sure if there's something on that rumour?

yeah, Ambuhl and Wick are having one hell of a season. Wick is almost nhl ready and I wouldn't mind seing ambuhl as an agitator, speedy grinder type player (perhaps on a 3rd line....)

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch

I know very little about NHL rules to sign people during the year but when you see the Sundin story or other players that were signed ... during the year ... i am surprised by your remark.

Ambühl is impressive ... hopefully he gets a shot, same for Wick.

Let's pray for Gerber ... again a bad period !!! maybe playing under the loup (in Canada where any small thing is watched and critisised) doesn't fit him ? He is good. Why can't he find stability ?

koh19

May 19, 2006
Fribourg
yeah, gerber looks shaky but I think he's getting the start tomorrow vs. carolina. Let's hope he can make an impression and get his number 1 spot back.

Tobias Stephan is learning, first season in the NHL. His 1st win was quite impressive.

Hiller looks awesome. IMO him and Giguere form the best goaltending duo in the league. I wouldn't be surprised to see teams make a pitch at him during the offseason. He has number 1 potential.

Sbisa...what can I say...Incredibly impressive for an 18 year old with the Flyers!!! This is not the Thrashers here...Philadelphia Flyers, one of the best teams in the league. Top 4 minutes!

IT'S BLOODY TIME NOW TO HAVE A SWISS FORWARD IN THE NHL!!!! We've only got d-men and goalies.

Possible forwards include: Wick, Sprunger, Ambuehl, Romy (?)

Eagle Eye Cherry

guitar player
Feb 19, 2006
Montreal
From what I`ve read from other forums, the Habs, Preds and the Blues were interested in Ambuhl and Sprunger.

I could see Sprunger getting a shot and as far as Ambuhl goes, maybe a cup of coffee in the NHL. Wick has a chance as well, just give it a season or two, he`ll get a sniff from some NHL teams, imo.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
From what I`ve read from other forums, the Habs, Preds and the Blues were interested in Ambuhl and Sprunger.

I could see Sprunger getting a shot and as far as Ambuhl goes, maybe a cup of coffee in the NHL. Wick has a chance as well, just give it a season or two, he`ll get a sniff from some NHL teams, imo.

I am sorry, i do not understand you .... you mean Ambuhl has nothing to do in the NHL or you mean that he could be tried by someone ??

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
I'd say that Ambühl's style fits better with the NHL than Sprunger's. Unfortunately, lack of size might worry NHL teams interested in giving him a look.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
News on Tim Ramholt :

He was bought in an exchange by Nashville predators and sent to Milwaukee admirals (AHL)

so far collected 2 assists with the Admirals.

Good Luck Tim !!

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Interesting article about the Canadians, specially the implications for Weber and Streit.

http://www.radio-canada.ca/sports/hockey/2008/11/24/006-dube14-lundi.shtml
Unfortunately (for non french speaking people) it is in french.

It talks about Canadian's PP, 1st team last year and 23rd so far this year. Of course a specific situation for some players explain that but we could consider that Streit had a good value added in this PP team.

http://www.canoe.com/sports/nouvelles/hockey/canadiens/archives/2008/11/20081124-102200.html
again in french ... expresses some regrets about Streit and suggests another swiss player, Weber not to name him, could be promoted to the NHL.

http://www.radio-canada.ca/sports/hockey/2008/11/07/005-dube9-vendredi.shtml
To add some more elements.

These are only journalists views ... however it highlights the good job these two swiss players are delivering.

When was the last time that swiss players were involved for such a situation for an NHL club ??? never ! that bodes well for our national hockeyistique future.

Congrats guys !!

Last edited:

Rafik Soliman

Feb 27, 2002
Lausanne/Zurich, SWI
Visit site
some teams will give him a try out offer, thats about it.

The problem with Swiss Players is, that they're all looking for one-way contracts, since they lose a lot of money from the swiss league to the AHL....

With the actuall CBA a player of the Age 26 or younger can only receive an Entry Level contract which is a two-way contract anyways... So most swiss-players are waiting for something that will never happen....

I think Roman Wick, Beat Forster, Severin Blindenbacher, Andreas Ambuhl and Julien Sprunger probably could play in the NHL, given the right role in a team.
As for Wick, seeing him quit his North America adventure already once, I'm not sure if he's getting a 2nd chance? The next summer will tell....

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Hat trick for Luca :eek::eek::eek::eek:i at Rimouski Oceanic

http://www.tsn.ca/chl/story/?id=258006

I didn't know the guy ! he seems to be an interesting player ... i just discovered that he has a serious talents.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/10725/lightning200809_junior_prospect_update/

also relates very attractive features.

He is very well graded by HF Futures. He is graded 8, better than Weber 7, Sbisa 7 1/2, Simek 7, josi 7 or Ramholt 6 !!!

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/luca_cunti

Luca :eek::eek::eek::eek:i ... a name to watch out.

PS after being benched for over 10 games, Gerber had a very good game against Blackhawks. Regretfully his excellent performance was shadowed by Huet who blanked the Sens! 2 great goalies facing each other IMO.

Last edited:

koh19

May 19, 2006
Fribourg
So Ambuehl is having a great Spengler Cup so far. I still don't quite see him as an NHL player though. Who are some of the top Swiss prospects for the 2009 NHL entry draft?

By the way if you guys have Twitter please follow me there http://twitter.com/swiss_hockey

IMO, he's ready to play. The only thing that might bother him is his size but he doesn't mind hitting, in fact, he'll often lay huge open ice hits. Skill wise, he's ready.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
IMO, he's ready to play. The only thing that might bother him is his size but he doesn't mind hitting, in fact, he'll often lay huge open ice hits. Skill wise, he's ready.

skill was never the main problem with swiss players in NA. skill and skating were always strengths of swiss players. size and grit were what held most swiss out of the NHL. and sometimes maybe the will to play NHL at all.

the question with ambühl is: is he willing to work his way into the NHL while maybe even playing in the AHL for a few weeks/months and ending up as 3rd liner or would he rather stay in NLA, being one of the best players in the league and also leading the national team?

swisshockey

Dec 28, 2008
New York, NY
swisshockey.net
skill was never the main problem with swiss players in NA. skill and skating were always strengths of swiss players. size and grit were what held most swiss out of the NHL. and sometimes maybe the will to play NHL at all.

the question with ambühl is: is he willing to work his way into the NHL while maybe even playing in the AHL for a few weeks/months and ending up as 3rd liner or would he rather stay in NLA, being one of the best players in the league and also leading the national team?

let's not forget the financial picture. I'm not sure any NHL team would be willing to match what he makes with HCD now, at least not right away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad