Post-Game Talk: Sweet, sloppy victory! 5:4 Leafs!

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
I actually thought he was one of the Leafs best players last night.

Worth noting though that Johnsson (who's our best LW IMO) has more goals, more points with far less favorable usage. I can understand that Hyman brings some muscle to the top-6.

It's not Hyman who should lose his spot to Johnsson though, Marleau should.

Seems to me that when Johnsson was with Matthews they didn't mesh well...but when he was with Tavares/Marner the line exploded.
So logically he should go to to Tavares' line and Hyman back with Matthews/Nylander..
BUT.....it also seems that Matthews doesn't want Hyman on his wing.........So yes, Johnsson should replace Marleau..
If babcock would ever wake up, that is..

And Hyman has his best game last nite but also failed to get the puck out with the goalie out 3 ( THREE) times last nite..
If The sens had scored on any of them there would be a different discussion today,.
Because Hyman simply cannot play in his own zone...that's probably why Babcock has him blowing the zone first waiting for tavares/marner to pass the puck up.(when playing 5 on 5 )

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
It's the most frustrating thing to watch a game like this and know how much we outclass Ottawa yet have it go down to the wire

Reactions: Al14

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Seems to me that when Johnsson was with Matthews they didn't mesh well...but when he was with Tavares/Marner the line exploded.
So logically he should go to to Tavares' line and Hyman back with Matthews/Nylander..
BUT.....it also seems that Matthews doesn't want Hyman on his wing.........So yes, Johnsson should replace Marleau..

And Hyman has his best game last nite but also failed to get the puck out with the goalie out 3 ( THREE) times last nite..
If The sens had scored on any of them there would be a different discussion today,.
Because Hyman simply cannot play in his own zone...that's probably why Babcock has him blowing the zone first waiting for tavares/marner to pass the puck up.(when playing 5 on 5 )

Hyman's giveaways led to several goals the other night. He's very bad with them.

In Babcock's world, positions aren't earned upon merit and ability. It doesn't matter if you produce incompetent results, if you try really hard you're given more ice-time than superior players.

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
Isn’t that Hughes kid supposed to be as good as Patrick Kane or Jack Eichel? Imagine giving that up.

The package Ottawa gave up for Duchene (directly & indirectly) is actually insane.

Indirect =
2nd + Girard + Kamenev (offered to OTT & paid to COL for Turris)
Direct = 1st + 3rd + Bowers + Hammond (with Turris left out)

Total Payment for Duchene (Pick Value):

1st round pick | 001 overall - 2019 | To Be Determined (Jack Hughes?)
1st round pick | 028 overall - 2017 | Shane Bowers
3. 2nd round pick | 042 overall - 2014 | Vlad Kamenev
4. 2nd round pick | 047 overall - 2016 | Samuel Girard
5. 2nd round pick | 058 overall - 2018 | Filip Hållander
6. 3rd round pick | 063 overall - 2019 | To Be Determined
7. 5th round pick | 150 overall - 2018 | (Hammond's Trade Value)

And if that pick becomes Jack Hughes ... it's worth three Duchene's by itself.

YIKES.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Why does every positive point about the Leafs need a counterpoint? A positive stat is a positive stat, stop being so negative and enjoy a good leafs team for a change.
I do enjoy what they are doing right, and this is one of the best Leaf teams I've seen in 60 years of watching them. But I don't think that's a reason to ignore their problems.

On the other hand, I agree that there is too much criticizing of posts. I make a positive comment about a player or team, and someone has to tell me I'm wrong. At least all I did was offer another stat.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto

How about this?

Nylander - Matthews - Kapanen
Johnsson - Tavares - Marner
Marleau - Kadri - Hyman

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
How about this?

Nylander - Matthews - Kapanen
Johnsson - Tavares - Marner
Marleau - Kadri - Hyman
People complain about Marleau's bad defence, and about Hyman's bad defence, and about Kadri's bad defence, and you want them all on the same line?

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Last night was not a good example. Sens tied up the game quickly. It's not like they shut them down in the 3rd.
The end result is really what matters because they did shut them down, the sense didn't even get a point, but I understand what you are saying.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
It's the most frustrating thing to watch a game like this and know how much we outclass Ottawa yet have it go down to the wire

But then again that's the simple beauty of sports in general. Any team can look better on paper and statwise but on any given day a bottom dweller team can give it their all and the playing field is leveled. Heart, desire and rivalries bring out the best and worst.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad