Post-Game Talk: Sweet 16

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Just watched the highlites. Looks like one of the rare games in the streak where we were down a lot on the deserve o meter and got outposessed.

Skinner looked very good. Is it safe to say he "stole" this game? I didn't see many almost goals from us on the highlight reel.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
8du46r.jpg

8du42a.jpg

8du4gw.jpg

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Some loser on CP posted this in the E=NG thread. What’s wrong with them??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Not sure if anyone was watching any of that game last night but McDavid drew another one of those penalties where he grabs the opponents stick. When are teams going to start sending film of this stuff to the NHL? It's garbage. He purposely reaches back with his hand when on the rush to grab the checking player's stick making it look like he's being interfered with. Last night the Kraken player even let go of his stick once McDavid grabbed it so show what was going on and he still got the only penalty.

I call it the Henrik Sedin special. Bouwmeester used to chase him along the boards and use his stick to try and push the puck off Henrik's stick. As soon as he did that, Henrik would grab Bouwmeester's stick, wrap it around himself, and then lean back and fall down. Penalty every time.

Soccer became downright silly at times with the fake penalties and dives. Hockey started going that way with that Canucks' team with the the Sedins, Burrows and Kesler, but then it seemed to right itself a bit. Now it is going that way again.

NHL still does fine diving/embellishment. There is a private warning first (get rid of this warning - make it a public warning at least), and then for every subsequent offence, the player gets fined an incremental rate, and eventually the coach does as well. Thus far this season, there have been zero players who have embellished more than once. Obviously the incidents that EE saw McDived do is the same one from different angles (just ignore the different jerseys - from the different angles, trust me, it must be the same and only instance!).

Last season, there were only two players fined for diving - Mason Marchment and Max Fridman. Only 2. Again, I find this low number difficult to believe.

I guess as long as we don't see a return of those disgusting Sedin-led Canucks teams, I won't complain so much. That was downright disgusting. Sedins, Burrows and Kesler the human tumbleweed.

I want a real professional sports league to call their rules without bias. That's what makes sporting events legitimate. If someone hooks, slashes, holds, trips, etc., on McDavid, I have zero issue with it being called. However, if McDavid dives, call it. if McDavid hooks, starts acting like a tough guy again and starts roughing players up in scrums and then running away, call it. Call his offences. Just call the damn rules down the line as they should be. Don't call it, and we will see the reemergence of the Canucks Diving Team again, only this time it will be the Slimy Grease Flops.

In case I get called out for being bias, I really started hating Gaudreau's hand shaking when he got slashed - and they were more often than not from real contact. Sometimes they weren't, and it made me hate it even more, but he got it out of his game, thankfully. I can't stand diving on any team, including the one I cheer for. However, when it is the best player in the world doing it, it becomes even more disgusting. Here is a guy with godly ability, and he still cheats. Kids emulate the stars in this league. It becomes extra-disgusting if you ask me the more you think about it.

/McDiver diving rant

lol, if the rules were actually called on McDavid as they're supposed to, the opposing team would be in the box for half the game.

He is simply too fast, defenders cannot skate fast enough backwards to stay infront of him without bending/breaking the rules many times a game. Is what it is.

Call it by the book if you want, I'd welcome it. These people don't know what they're wishing for, if they got what they wanted it would be a massive advantage for us.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Don't look now, but our PK is currently 5th best in the league at 83%. I don't remember exactly just how low it had gotten, but it was in the bottom 3rd of the league about a month in near 70% (may have dipped below that). The PK during our winning streak has been incredible. Desharnais and Janmark deserve a lot of credit for that with the work they do on the first PK unit. I think Brown has also been good in this role. Skinner going beast mode obviously deserves a mention, as that's going to help.

The PP is currently 4th best in the league at 27.1%.

83+27.1 = 110.1

That's very good special teams performance.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
Don't look now, but our PK is currently 5th best in the league at 83%. I don't remember exactly just how low it had gotten, but it was in the bottom 3rd of the league about a month in near 70% (may have dipped below that). The PK during our winning streak has been incredible. Desharnais and Janmark deserve a lot of credit for that with the work they do on the first PK unit. I think Brown has also been good in this role. Skinner going beast mode obviously deserves a mention, as that's going to help.

83+27.1 = 110.1

Don't look now, but since November 10 we have the #1 PK AND PP

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
16 sure is sweet. :D

This game for me came down to 3 things in this order...
1) Luck
2) Skinner
3) The Powerplay

You need to be lucky sometimes and the Oilers were big time lucky in this game.
They didnt deserve to win but they did.

Perfect time for a break. Get a few practices in and fix some of the defensive mistakes/bad habits that are creeping into their game.

They are now 5 points back of Vegas and have 5 games in hand.
They play Vegas 1st game after the break in Vegas. The Knights would no doubt love to end this streak and the Oilers should be very motivated for that game. They have something to prove to Vegas.
This ride just keeps getting better and better. :nod:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

83+27.1 = 110.1

Who is it that runs the PK again? He's doing a whale of a job.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Bieksa throws Kelly under the bus with Nashville’s lone goal. “Kelly said something about a shutout or something like that in the back room.”

Kelly: “Yeah right, that was you my friend.”

:laugh:

Flames homer things. But honestly broadcasts are getting lax about the Shutout word rule I’ve noticed. Jack and Louie are good about it, but the douchebags in Toronto aren’t and probably want to see us fail.

PULSATING

Sep 20, 2018
Some loser on CP posted this in the E=NG thread. What’s wrong with them??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Not sure if anyone was watching any of that game last night but McDavid drew another one of those penalties where he grabs the opponents stick. When are teams going to start sending film of this stuff to the NHL? It's garbage. He purposely reaches back with his hand when on the rush to grab the checking player's stick making it look like he's being interfered with. Last night the Kraken player even let go of his stick once McDavid grabbed it so show what was going on and he still got the only penalty.

I call it the Henrik Sedin special. Bouwmeester used to chase him along the boards and use his stick to try and push the puck off Henrik's stick. As soon as he did that, Henrik would grab Bouwmeester's stick, wrap it around himself, and then lean back and fall down. Penalty every time.

Soccer became downright silly at times with the fake penalties and dives. Hockey started going that way with that Canucks' team with the the Sedins, Burrows and Kesler, but then it seemed to right itself a bit. Now it is going that way again.

NHL still does fine diving/embellishment. There is a private warning first (get rid of this warning - make it a public warning at least), and then for every subsequent offence, the player gets fined an incremental rate, and eventually the coach does as well. Thus far this season, there have been zero players who have embellished more than once. Obviously the incidents that EE saw McDived do is the same one from different angles (just ignore the different jerseys - from the different angles, trust me, it must be the same and only instance!).

Last season, there were only two players fined for diving - Mason Marchment and Max Fridman. Only 2. Again, I find this low number difficult to believe.

I guess as long as we don't see a return of those disgusting Sedin-led Canucks teams, I won't complain so much. That was downright disgusting. Sedins, Burrows and Kesler the human tumbleweed.

I want a real professional sports league to call their rules without bias. That's what makes sporting events legitimate. If someone hooks, slashes, holds, trips, etc., on McDavid, I have zero issue with it being called. However, if McDavid dives, call it. if McDavid hooks, starts acting like a tough guy again and starts roughing players up in scrums and then running away, call it. Call his offences. Just call the damn rules down the line as they should be. Don't call it, and we will see the reemergence of the Canucks Diving Team again, only this time it will be the Slimy Grease Flops.

In case I get called out for being bias, I really started hating Gaudreau's hand shaking when he got slashed - and they were more often than not from real contact. Sometimes they weren't, and it made me hate it even more, but he got it out of his game, thankfully. I can't stand diving on any team, including the one I cheer for. However, when it is the best player in the world doing it, it becomes even more disgusting. Here is a guy with godly ability, and he still cheats. Kids emulate the stars in this league. It becomes extra-disgusting if you ask me the more you think about it.

/McDiver diving rant
Bro nobody wants to read this garbage leave it where it belongs

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Just watched the highlites. Looks like one of the rare games in the streak where we were down a lot on the deserve o meter and got outposessed.

Skinner looked very good. Is it safe to say he "stole" this game? I didn't see many almost goals from us on the highlight reel.
I don’t know that he stole it because we missed like 3 gimmies 5 on 5 in the first period and our pp was on. I feel like we could have easily scored 5+ in this game just in the first half. Preds didn’t roll over they are a decent team and gave it to us in the 3rd. Stu has been unbelievable this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad