Post-Game Talk: Sweet 16

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It's the breakdowns. Boston has insane PDO for the same reason. Stats will show high danger chances, saves, shots and goals, but not what led to them

The Canucks are not Maple Leafs high PDO, they are Nashville or Boston. When the Oiler's or Leaf's PDO is wonky, they are often playing on the outside. Early this season the Oilers were destroying nothing but the shot clock, bad shooting luck or playing on the outside? Suddenly the goals are going in and we are getting saves, it's all correlated, and the Canucks have been playing the right way all season.
As hard as it is to accept (for me as well)...the Canucks are a very good team. You dont remain at or near the top of the NHL standings for half a season unless you are a very good team.
They will in all likelyhood finish first in the Pacific and thats fine by me.

My hope is that the Oilers pass Vegas and get home ice in the playoffs against Vegas.
Let Vancouver play LA (a team built for the playoffs) and see how that works out for them.
Meanwhile the Oilers dont have to burn themselves out trying to finish first in the division.

Reactions: RegDunlop

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
As hard as it is to accept (for me as well)...the Canucks are a very good team. You dont remain at or near the top of the NHL standings for half a season unless you are a very good team.
They will in all likelyhood finish first in the Pacific and thats fine by me.

My hope is that the Oilers pass Vegas and get home ice in the playoffs against Vegas.
Let Vancouver play LA (a team built for the playoffs) and see how that works out for them.
Meanwhile the Oilers dont have to burn themselves out trying to finish first in the division.
Still believe the Canucks success rests solely on the shoulders of Demkos goaltending to be honest. If he gets injured I think you see a slip back to the mean for them. They allow far too many high danger chances any other goalie and their success would not be what it is this year.

Reactions: Oilhawks

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Still believe the Canucks success rests solely on the shoulders of Demkos goaltending to be honest. If he gets injured I think you see a slip back to the mean for them. They allow far too many high danger chances any other goalie and their success would not be what it is this year.
Good teams dont win games without good goalies.
Demko is very good...so is the team in front of him.
I havent seen a League wide perspective on the HDSC's and it would probably be interesting even though I think that there are major flaws in some HDSC models.

The bottom line though...
For me trying to discredit the Canucks and what they have done this season is a lot like trying to discredit the Oiler 16 game win streak.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton

Doesn't any teams though really?
And deSmith is a capable backup

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Good teams dont win games without good goalies.
Demko is very good...so is the team in front of him.
I havent seen a League wide perspective on the HDSC's and it would probably be interesting even though I think that there are major flaws in some HDSC models.

The bottom line though...
For me trying to discredit the Canucks and what they have done this season is a lot like trying to discredit the Oiler 16 game win streak.

Quinn Hughes is something else too. He’s driving that team on an insane level. Oh well, itlll be funny when Kane targets him for destruction if we need to play them in the playoffs.

Reactions: Duke74

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Quinn Hughes is something else too. He’s driving that team on an insane level. Oh well, itlll be funny when Kane targets him for destruction if we need to play them in the playoffs.
Completely agree. I think that Hughes is a big part of their turnaround so far this season.
He is a Makar level player...I wish the Oilers had a player of that caliber.

It would be absolutely amazing to see these 2 teams battle in the playoffs in the 2nd round.
The rivarly and the quality of both teams would make for an epic series.
Thats when Kane shines too and yeah...I would love to see Hughes and Petterson get physically punished. :D

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Doesn't any teams though really?
And deSmith is a capable backup
Idk, kuemper was pretty average the year the avs won the cup. At least in the playoffs. and it was enough. A lot of goalies have been throughout the years. just get in. lol.

Reactions: RegDunlop

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
Canucks fans on the mains: “Jesus Christ do Oilers fans ever shut the f*** up about their win streak?!”

also Canucks fans after squeaking out an OTW over the Columbus blue jackets (first five mainboards threads)
And what exactly would the cupless nucks fans be talking about if their team magically won 16 in a row? Prob be setting their city on fire! Not that anyone cares what a Canucks fan says...

Idk, kuemper was pretty average the year the avs won the cup. At least in the playoffs. and it was enough. A lot of goalies have been throughout the years. just get in. lol.
True, even in the finals avs fans were trashing him!

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

Anybody that criticizes him for having "no personality" on the basis of his conduct with the media alone are stupid, frankly.

If I were sitting in front of a mic and I knew that every word I was going to say would be parsed, picked apart, analyzed, etc. I would also be vanilla and mundane as humanly possible. Unfortunately average people don't seem to have it within themselves to grasp that being a major public figure is difficult and a lot of work and it becomes even more work if you're loud and say things that are deemed controversial.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North

83dxu3.gif

Whenever I see someone say "I play Fortnite", this is what I am reminded of :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad