Music: Swedish Music

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
Don't listen much at all to Swedish music, but I sometimes give this a listen if I want to cheer myself up:

Doesn't get more old school Gothenburg than that. Can't listen to it without getting visions of alcoholised communist dockworkers in my head. :laugh:

kent kent kent! I know a lot of people here prefer metal but for anyone that wants more indie/alternative/synthpop/garage/stadium rock then kent have an awesome 12 album discography. I don't understand them either, this site translates all the lyrics though.

Kent actually did English-language versions of their albums Isola and Hagnesta Hill early on in their career, but they weren't hits so they gave up on trying to go international.

Occasionally gave some of the earlier, guitar-based Kent songs a listen when I was a teenager, never cared much for the synth-based stuff they put out from Vapen & ammunition and onwards though.

Listening to these three songs just now made me feel really friggin' old, it's been 20 years since the first one came out.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
New Sakert album I see, haven't given it a go yet but singles sound good.

kent's Best Of had four new songs btw, one of them, Terapi was pretty good.

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
First Aid Kit, sisters from Stockholm.

I watched the new Fleet Foxes video for the song Fool's Errand way too many times last week and the week before that, cause I found it absolutely mesmerizing. Then I started to listen to covers of Fleet Foxes songs and stumbled upon this band. Now I'm mesmerized by these sisters. I think I'll be listening to "My Silver Lining" a couple of dozen times this summer. Seeing how they made Patti Smith cry in the Polar Music Prize gala almost made me cry too:

And then I watched their gig in Ruisrock 2014. My compatriots were singing along. Beautiful.

I seldom listen to music where people aren't singing in their own native language, cause it doesn't sound natural, but their English is absolutely great. It's so easy for you Swedes. The younger one said in an interview that she didn't even go to high school, but she still speaks better English than 99.9 percent of us Finns. That's unfair. There's no way Finland is ever going to produce anything this great into the international stage. We just mostly export metal bands who sing in English but can't speak or write lyrics in English.

Last edited:

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
The genre may be floundering but Gothenburg is generally considered to be where Melodeath found it's sound with early At The Gates, In Flames, and Dark Tranquillity.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
The genre started floundering when the In Flames and Dark Tranquillity clones started spewing forth in the late 90s. Bands like Soilwork, Gardenian, and Arch Enemy were the death knell (along with In Flames and Dark Tranquillity moving away from their best works). The genre was at its best in the early 90s with the early Gothenburg releases and bands like Eucharist and Unanimated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad