Swedish Junior Leagues 2023 /2024

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Djurgården will have a fun J20 team this season. Most kids haven't played much this past year so I hope the top guys get lots of J20 games instead of limited SHL minutes.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
Talk swedish junior hockey here!

Since I am clueless about swedish junior leagues (apart from top U20 and U18) can you tell me in what league (quality wise) are playing two croatian players, Roko Goršić and Bruno Idžan. I saw them listed for their U16 team, but don't know if it is regional league, national one or something else ?

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Since I am clueless about swedish junior leagues (apart from top U20 and U18) can you tell me in what league (quality wise) are playing two croatian players, Roko Goršić and Bruno Idžan. I saw them listed for their U16 team, but don't know if it is regional league, national one or something else ?

Viggbyholm U16: Pretty mediocre U16 team that plays at the highest level in the regional Stockholm/East area. There are usually some good teams that will outplay the lesser teams badly. It being the highest level doesn't say much, however, since there are like 20-30 teams divided into various subgroups. Not a fan of this (local) system.

Viggbyholm J18: Second tier league in the Stockholm/East area. Pretty mediocre team and pretty mediocre level of hockey with some exceptions.

In general, you could say that many high-level prospects at a young age (like Gorsic and Idzan) play in these leagues before they go to bigger clubs and better leagues (J18 Region). So, many of the top 06-born players this year in "J18 Div.1" will end up going to a hockey gymnasium and play J18 Region next year.

Reactions: filip85

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
Viggbyholm U16: Pretty mediocre U16 team that plays at the highest level in the regional Stockholm/East area. There are usually some good teams that will outplay the lesser teams badly. It being the highest level doesn't say much, however, since there are like 20-30 teams divided into various subgroups. Not a fan of this (local) system.

Viggbyholm J18: Second tier league in the Stockholm/East area. Pretty mediocre team and pretty mediocre level of hockey with some exceptions.

In general, you could say that many high-level prospects at a young age (like Gorsic and Idzan) play in these leagues before they go to bigger clubs and better leagues (J18 Region). So, many of the top 06-born players this year in "J18 Div.1" will end up going to a hockey gymnasium and play J18 Region next year.

I would hesitate to call them high-level prospects for now, but they do have potential. Thank you for your clarification.

So, if I understood you right J18 region is (where Marinković plays) best U18 league ?

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
I would hesitate to call them high-level prospects for now, but they do have potential. Thank you for your clarification.

So, if I understood you right J18 region is (where Marinković plays) best U18 league ?

Correct. Although it is not quite simple. There are 4 J18 Region leagues in the country (North, East, West and South). Usually there are 4-6 really good teams in these leagues and the rest are much worse. Around Christmas time the top teams in each region advance and form a far superior spring league called J18 Allsvenskan.

Marinkovic plays for a quite poor team in J18 Region that will likely experience frequent big losses (unless they have improved considerably compared to the previous seasons). Usually the SHL teams youth teams dominate these J18 Region fall leagues, seeing as they attract the best players to their hockey gymnasiums and have greater resources. Strömsbro is a small club.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
On another note, heard that Djurgården has applied for an exemption to let 07-born forward Anton Frondell play in J18 Region this season. A young kid that has already received quite a bit of hype.

Reactions: theslatcher

filip85

Feb 7, 2017

Both Goršić and Idžan are off to a good start. After they are done with they Stockholm group, what is next ? Do groups merge ?

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Both Goršić and Idžan are off to a good start. After they are done with they Stockholm group, what is next ? Do groups merge ?

Actually, their regular season has not started yet. They have been competing in something called "DM", which could be translated to like a small "district cup". In fact, the regular season schedule for U16 in Stockholm has yet to be posted online. Previous years, the regular season has started during the first or second week of October.

if it works the way it has previous years, they were be a two-phase regular season. After the initial phase, the top teams form a stronger group for the remainder of the season. During the last normal season (19/20) consisted of a 7-game initial regular season and then a 14-game second phase. But I have no clue if that is the way the Stockholm U16 leagues will operate this season. They do it differently than the rest of the country.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Made his senior debut last night.

yes in div 2 which is the 4th strongest senior league in sweden. but he is only 15 so its impressive even if the league itself is nothing to write home of. Could see some div 1 team picking him up. Then if he does good there the road is open to Allsvenskan. That is if he chooses to stay in Sweden.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
yes in div 2 which is the 4th strongest senior league in sweden. but he is only 15 so its impressive even if the league itself is nothing to write home of. Could see some div 1 team picking him up. Then if he does good there the road is open to Allsvenskan. That is if he chooses to stay in Sweden.

And today he scored his first senior goal for Viggbyholms.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

filip85

Feb 7, 2017

Idžan and Bezuk also made their senior debuts in Division 2. Bezuk (2004. born) scored 2+1 in 7 games.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
On another note, heard that Djurgården has applied for an exemption to let 07-born forward Anton Frondell play in J18 Region this season. A young kid that has already received quite a bit of hype.
Playing in the J18 today, so looks like it's a go.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Filip Ekberg is already doing very well in J18 Östra as a 14 year old.

Chris Härenstam has mentioned the strength of the 07 age group several times. He should know since his son is a pretty hyped goalie.

Last edited:

PuckPoise

May 25, 2011
Filip Ekberg is already doing very well in J18 Östra as a 14 year old.

Chris Härenstam has mentioned the strength of the 07 age group several times. He should know since his son is a pretty hyped goalie.

Ekberg and Frondell the Raymond and Holtz of this age group?

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
How has Liam Dower-Nilsson been doing so far? I've seen a few clips this season that were pretty impressive but haven't been able to catch a whole J20 game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad