Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Cant see us winning this.

Reasons:

Only 3 forward lines.
Horrible forwards
Horrible coaches
Horrible goalies
Austria is actually good. Very underated hockeynation.

We have better D than Austria but thats it.

Last game beetwen this 2 nations was 2 weeks ago, Austria was better and should have won. And its almost same rosters now.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011

Reasons:

Only 3 forward lines.
Horrible forwards
Horrible coaches
Horrible goalies

Last game beetwen this 2 nations was 2 weeks ago, Austria was better and should have won. And its almost same rosters now.

Why don't you bet money for Austria's win then?

Finnish betting site gives Sweden 1.07 odds, so you bet 1 euro for Sweden and you will only gain 7 cents. Bet 1 euro for Austria and you gain 16 euros = 1600 cents. 1600 cents or 7 cents :).

Wait, how many forwards will Sweden actually dress for this game? Are they waiting for Bäckström or something?

Last edited:

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Game plan for Austria would be to be physical with Sweden. Fight if they have to and if some Sweden's forwards happen to get injuries or ejected from the game, then the Swedes will have to play with 7-8 forwards or perhaps they have to use some of their D-men as forwards.

Will we actually see OEL as a center and Dahlin as winger lol?

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
Why don't you bet money for Austria's win then?

Finnish betting site gives Sweden 1.07 odds, so you bet 1 euro for Sweden and you will only gain 7 cents. Bet 1 euro for Austria and you gain 16 euros = 1600 cents. 1600 cents or 7 cents :).

Wait, how many forwards will Sweden actually dress for this game? Are they waiting for Bäckström or something?

They should have only 9 F, 6 D. At least according to the official roster on the tournament website. But maybe they added somebody this morning and the admins just didn't update the roster? In any case, they can add players 2 hours prior to the game (I believe).

Elias40

Jan 3, 2020
While it will be a tough match to start with just nine forwards, a big help is Dahlin or OEL. Even from this group, the match can be decided in a power play, Sweden has already shown it against Switzerland, for example. So defense and power play are something that Sweden can build its game on today. I don't think I will win by more than three goals, today it is important to just win for three points so that no one is injured and to play a dignified match against the Czechs tomorrow.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
They should have only 9 F, 6 D. At least according to the official roster on the tournament website. But maybe they added somebody this morning and the admins just didn't update the roster? In any case, they can add players 2 hours prior to the game (I believe).

According to the Team Sweden thread, they will actually run 9 forwards only, but we'll see if they weren't right there.

Sweden vs Czech is tomorrow. It would be crazy to run 9 forwards today against Austria. They want to play vs Canada or Switzerland in the QF instead of Germany or Slovakia it seems.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Players can play about 20 minutes each before a back to back. Happens all the time. Don’t just stack the lines and let some play 30.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Players can play about 20 minutes each before a back to back. Happens all the time. Don’t just stack the lines and let some play 30.

Garpenlöv is basically the opposite of Jukka Jalonen. Gambler vs non gambler. Either strategy could work. We'll see later in the tournament which was better.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Garpenlöv is basically the opposite of Jukka Jalonen. Gambler vs non gambler. Either strategy could work. We'll see later in the tournament which was better.
In this way Garpenlöv is a gambler, for sure. Tactically, he is risk averse and quite conservative. Prefers grinders to creative players. So in general, he isn’t a gambler. But in waiting for NHLers, he surely is. I like the thinking there because we need a boost of high end NHL players to have title chances.

Reactions: Elvs

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
In this way Garpenlöv is a gambler, for sure. Tactically, he is risk averse and quite conservative. Prefers grinders to creative players. So in general, he isn’t a gambler. But in waiting for NHLers, he surely is. I like the thinking there because we need a boost of high end NHL players to have title chances.
Nevermind misread.
Still can’t see how this gamble is gonna play out favourably though.

Last edited:

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011

I kind of wanted J.Jalonen to take a bit more risk now. He already has 13 forwards and 7 defenders registered, so only 2 slots remaining. Potentially there could've been more very good players coming from the NHL from the first round of the playoffs, but he didn't save even one more slot. Considering that Finland's first opponent was Norway yesterday and today Latvia and still he couldn't takes a small risk, with such light opponents to start the tournament against. He doesn't like gambling. Can't complain about Jalonen though as he has brought Finland so much success lately, but personally I just preferred to see more star power in the Finnish team.

Sweden will most likely end up #3 or #4 of this group with this gamble, because I don't expect them to beat Czech tomorrow because of this roster roulette and they will have to beat one of Canada or Switzerland in the QF then. That's my guess how it will go. It can be the route to gold though, we'll see.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Why is it we have two or three posters pointing out how terrible Garpenlov is every single post? We get it.

I'm not defending him as a coach, but he's gone after the tournament no matter what happens, so I see no point in complaining over and over like a broken record.

I agree with the decision to ice only 9 forwards for this game though. There's no skill players available in Europe that makes this team a legit gold medal contender. We need help from the NHL for that.

Reactions: Pucken

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
Just want this tournament to be over, then no more Garpenlöv.
Yes, then Garpenlöv can do what he’s been destined to do all along. Go to Estonia get smashed, yell at you that ”your name is KUK MISTER KUK”, piss himself pass out, and lastly, threaten everyone with his ”fet jävla advokat” relative when he finds out it’s on tape.

• Haha
Reactions: Brunkmeister

swissdude

May 18, 2019

Reasons:

Only 3 forward lines.
Horrible forwards
Horrible coaches
Horrible goalies

so much about sweden can't win against austria and horrible forwards, it took them less than 3 minutes to score lol

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I agree with the decision to ice only 9 forwards for this game though. There's no skill players available in Europe that makes this team a legit gold medal contender. We need help from the NHL for that.
Garpenlöv should have been happy with what he got and put his trust in the players at his disposal. Build a TEAM. Leave 2-3 spots open at most for re-inforcements. Waiting for so many players sends a message to the team that he doesn't believe in them at all.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
If Sweden still has just 9 forwards against the Czech team tomorrow, good luck to them winning that game. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that Czechs have been practicing with full lines for a while now. Even if Sweden gets some of those NHL arrival forwards tomorrow in the line up, this Czech game is coming too early for them. Czech has improved their coaching as well by hiring probably the second best Finnish head coach. It will be really hard for Sweden tomorrow.

swissdude

May 18, 2019
Sweden's PP isn't overwhelming but wasn't it to expect in Game 1. I still think tre kronor should win this, they keep the shifts shortly. I don't see austria steal that one (even though I would be pleased for the swiss coaching staff) but sure austria shouldn't be underestimated and it's quite arrogant to only ice 9 forwards and I agree againts the czechs that will be punished

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad