Sweden to be without Landeskog, Larsson and Zibanejad for WJC in Edmonton?

4thliner*

There goes the medal I guess :(

Too bad WJC isnt really a best of the best juniors tournament anymore.

These 3 swedes picked at the top of this draft are the 3 most NHL ready in the entire draft period. So it would not be shocking to see them make it with their NHL teams. I would be completely shocked bordering on disappointing if Landeskog did not make the Avs. I could see that little chance that Larsson and Zibanejad go back to Sweden. But what is overdeveloped muscleman Landeskog gonna do, push around 160 lb 17 year olds again for a whole year in junior? You know he can't be sent to the AHL. Playing in the SEL or AHL is far more challenging and better for his development.

4thliner*

there is nothing in stone that says Z-bad is making ottawa and even if he does he could ( very unlikely) still play in the WJC.

Ottawa doesn't release players that make their team to WJC. Otherwise they would have released 19 year old Karlsson for the 2009-2010 season tourney. If Zbad sticks, there is zero chance he plays for Sweden.

Manny*

It's looking like Zibanejad may be given a chance to start the season in Ottawa.

4thliner*

Larsson should got back to Skelleftea IMO.

Other than to refine his offensive game and being the MAN there now without Rundblad, I don't see it. Jersey needs puckmoving dman desperately, and Adam Larsson is a grandmaster in that type of game even though he didn't get a chance to put up the points. I could see him put up a lot of points with Kovy and Parise in Jersey's PP and munch 25 mins a night, then fans in Edmonton and Colorado and Florida will shed a tear and :facepalm:

especially when they see how well defensively he can play with his size, along with his calm cool demeanor that allows him to completely control the pace of a hockey game.

Last edited by a moderator:

mooseOAK*

Other than to refine his offensive game and being the MAN there now without Rundblad, I don't see it. Jersey needs puckmoving dman desperately, and Adam Larsson is a grandmaster in that type of game even though he didn't get a chance top put up the points. I could see him put up a lot of point with Kovy and Parise in Jersey's PP.

The cap hit of Larsson's ELC may keep him in Sweden because there is no bonus cushion this season, I believe.

Manny*

Will Erixon return to Skelleftea? Their defence is gonna take a huge hit if those three leave.

Koto

May 3, 2011
everyone misses player for example canada did not have hall, seguin, skinner, gormley, duchene, E. kane,

all of whom where 2011 eligable, gormley was injured the rest were in the nhl

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
There goes the medal I guess :(

Too bad WJC isnt really a best of the best juniors tournament anymore.

It hasn't been a true best of the best for awhile. The last two times it was (1995 and 2005) Canada blitzed everyone.

Consider it a compliment to Sweden's development of good young players that their under-20 national team has this "problem."

Latex*

It hasn't been a true best of the best for awhile. The last two times it was (1995 and 2005) Canada blitzed everyone.

Consider it a compliment to Sweden's development of good young players that their under-20 national team has this "problem."

Oh here comes the 'Canada has only lost when it's not best on best'. You know other teams are often missing their best players too. You haven't been the best country in the WJC in the past 2 years. It doesn't matter if the games are best on best or not. Get over it already.

Also remeber that the games are played on smaller ice surface almost every year. Sweden and Russia would **** everyone on larger ice.

JMac13

Jan 10, 2011
Oh here comes the 'Canada has only lost when it's not best on best'. You know other teams are often missing their best players too. You haven't been the best country in the WJC in the past 2 years. It doesn't matter if the games are best on best or not. Get over it already.

Also remeber that the games are played on smaller ice surface almost every year. Sweden and Russia would **** everyone on larger ice.

While it is fact that Canada lost the last two years you can't deny that it has always been the Country most hit by losing players to the NHL.

The larger ice argument is a wild ass guess on your part...

4thliner*

seriously? has he looked great in your prospects camp? Wasn't he signed for 2 more years in the SEL?

Prospect camp is not until September but he has looked very good in the developmental camp. Drills and scrimmage's mainly. Big, strong, physical rambunctious, and powerful skater as advertised. Flashy moves and crazy spinorama passes too that led to tab in goals. Took a nice elbow to his nose too.

No games against other prospects though. That will come in September in Oshawa.

Last edited by a moderator:

GCM

Stork
Jun 22, 2010
haha, take that, that's how us Canadians felt when Edmonton hogged Hall and Eberle and NYI hung onto Tavares

not that I blame the teams but... Still

xking23

Petersson
Jun 22, 2009
Peterborough

He was quoting someone who mentioned how it's no longer best on best because Sweden is might miss some players. He stated that Canada as well always misses players. Nothing wrong with that, a bunch of countries probably miss players. Oddly enough those are the best players so the team missing the most players should be a lot better then they are.

Ice surface does make a difference, I'll give you that, but isn't the U18's played on international ice? and the Ivan Hlinka? both of which USA and Canada seem to win fairly often...

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
haha, take that, that's how us Canadians felt when Edmonton hogged Hall and Eberle and NYI hung onto Tavares

not that I blame the teams but... Still

Eberle was never withheld from the WJC in favor of playing in the NHL.

JMac13

Jan 10, 2011
Actually many pros have said that it's a completely different game, especially for the defensemen.

I completely agree that it is, but stating that Sweden and Russia would completely destroy Canada because of this is a wild ass guess. No way you can determine that just like we as Canadian's can't lean on the fact that we didn't have some big names at the tourney because you simply don't know what would have happened.

As of right now Russia is the best in the world at the U18 group, USA was before that. I have no problem accepting those as facts, it's comments that we would get destroyed on bigger ice surfaces that get me riled up because that is pure speculation. Not too mention Canada has won gold on international ice surfaces the last two times its been held their.

edit: I'll add in that I see now he was referring to a poster commenting that it hasn't been best on best for awhile, while I don't agree with his post about international ice I understand that Canadians complaining about how we were missing our superstars is not a valid excuse either.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad