Sweden to be without Landeskog, Larsson and Zibanejad for WJC in Edmonton?

Tavaresmagicalplay*

Landeskog and Larsson without a doubt. Not sure about Zibanejad.

sg58

Jul 15, 2008
I'd say Zibanejad is more likely to start in the NHL than Larsson is, but I think both will.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Oh here comes the 'Canada has only lost when it's not best on best'. You know other teams are often missing their best players too. You haven't been the best country in the WJC in the past 2 years. It doesn't matter if the games are best on best or not. Get over it already.

Also remeber that the games are played on smaller ice surface almost every year. Sweden and Russia would **** everyone on larger ice.

:handclap: It is quite impressive how you completely missed the point of my post and then went on to argue against numerous points I did not make.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
I could see Landeskog in the NHL, playing a similar role that MPS did last year. But the other two would be better off left in Sweden, I think.

edit: I'm of the opinion that players should be top players at the previous level they played at before the NHL before coming to the NHL, and I don't think Larsson and definitely not Zibanejad are there yet.

Last edited:

4thliner*

I could see Landeskog in the NHL, playing a similar role that MPS did last year. But the other two would be better off left in Sweden, I think.

edit: I'm of the opinion that players should be top players at the previous level they played at before the NHL before coming to the NHL, and I don't think Larsson and definitely not Zibanejad are there yet.

Tough to be a 'top' player in the SEL at 17 IMO. Both were very good players. Larsson for 2 seasons and Zbad was called up mid way and was said to be the best forward in the SEL by many in season's end.

cenas*

Tough to be a 'top' player in the SEL at 17 IMO. Both were very good players. Larsson for 2 seasons and Zbad was called up mid way and was said to be the best forward in the SEL by many in season's end.

Mikael Granlund PPG as 17 years old. You are kidding yourself if you think SEL is in another league of leagues :)nod:) in Europe in comparison to FEL. I never have seen so much hype and such a high pick for a guy who has played 20 pro games and scored 4 goals..

4thliner*

Mikael Granlund PPG as 17 years old. You are kidding yourself if you think SEL is in another league of leagues :)nod:) in Europe in comparison to FEL. I never have seen so much hype and such a high pick for a guy who has played 20 pro games and scored 4 goals..

5 actually and that was 26 games call up and gradual ice-time increase on the 3rd line. But hey, it is all about the style of game, how he plays the game, great one on one skills he shows on the ice, size power and skating that determine his upside. And there have been a lot of players that break in to the SEL put less points than Zbad and have lesser overall tools and become players.

Zibanejad is a power forward in every sense of the word, a guy with an incredible mean streak and temper who also possesses some very real goal-scoring skills. He's a born playmaker on offense, he's a great skater, his shooting and hands are perhaps the best in the draft and every scout I've read praises his hockey intelligence. The combination of technical perfection as a skater and shooter and his penchant for aggressive and physical play with excellent defensive ability make him one of the most-wanted prospects in this draft. You wonder if he had played in the CHL, instead of bouncing between junior leagues and the SEL in Sweden, he might have been a sure-fire top-5 pick. There's a good chance he becomes the "steal" of this draft

Taylor Bean defending the big D Dallas Stars

Mika's a real power forward but also has soft hands, good vision and fine skating skills. He has tremendous balance and is hard to knock off the puck. He's very strong in the battles along the boards, finishes checks with authority and has a heavy shot that he gets off quickly. Mika's a competitive player who is willing to pay the price to score a goal. He does have a very good understanding of his defensive duties.

--NHL Director of European Scouting Goran Stubb

Versatility is also a bonus for Zibanejad who can play center or either wing as right-shooting player. He's a long strider who gets up and down the surface quickly and at 6-2, 192 pounds has plenty of room to fill out and get stronger. Zibanejad has soft hands and the vision/instincts to make plays all over the ice. He's also got a hard, heavy shot that he uses to great effect, sometimes seeing time at the point on the power play.

Not many weaknesses to find in Zibanejad's game. A bit of a temper- must learn to keep his emotions in check at times.

-- Bruins Draft Watch

Generally speaking, young players who do not put up big numbers in the Swedish Elite league improve when they mature as NHL players and scouts are counting on that being the case with Zibanejad. He’s a powerful skater, has a good shot and finishes his checks.

The Hockey News Draft Preview

Intelligent two-way center with a heavy shot. Above average sense and anticipation, uses his size and strength for both offensive and defensive purposes, not afraid to play physically and likes to initiate contact. Powerful skater and a non-stop motor, excellent on faceoffs.Has been compared to a mix of Mike Fisher and Nicklas Backstrom. Could develop into a formidable two-way second-line center.

Bob McKenzie

I have not watched him in the SEL other than youtubes of him humiliating Larsson and running over guys and read his extremely impressive scouting reports for a player taken 6th but.....I did see him up close at development camp here in Ottawa. Guy is LEGIT, definitely not fraud

Last edited by a moderator:

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
There goes the medal I guess :(

Too bad WJC isnt really a best of the best juniors tournament anymore.

This team can take medal..

Richard Rakell - Johan Larsson - Ludvig Renfeldt
Max Friberg - Johan Sundström - Marcus Sörensen
Pathrik Westerholm - Victor Rask - Pontus Westerholm
Joakim Nordström - Joachim Nermark - Jeremy Boyce
Filip Forsberg

Nemeth - Klingberg
Brodin - Klefbom
Claesson - Noren
Bengtsson

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
This is exactly why Sweden is the no 2 hockey nation in the world. After Canada, they are generally the most hurt by teens in the NHL. Last year it was MPS, OEL and Josfsson. The year before Karlsson and Hedman. They lose at least 2 - 3 guys every year, while the Americans typically lose no more than one

BigEyedPhish

Aug 23, 2006
:D
The more I think about it (and hear about him at the prospect camp) the more I think Zibanejad will play in Ottawa next season... Theres obviously space for him to stay, and if he does Ottawa will have an intriguing, exciting, and VERY YOUNG team.

This would only spur more interest with the fans, in a season that looks like we COULD be near the bottom..

Rookies next season that could make Ottawa's line up...

David Rundblad
Jared Cowen (Most likely to make it out of camp IMO)
Mika Zibanejad

I also have a feeling that Stefan Noeson may surprise and make it, from all reports he is physically mature enough to play in the NHL.

Young players to play on Ottawa (age 18-25)

Bobby Butler (age: 24)
Colin Greening (Age: 25)
Zach Smith (Age 23)
Nick Foligno (Age 23)
Brian Lee (Age: 24)
Mika Zibanejad (Age: 18)
Erik Karlsson (Age: 21)
Stefan Da Costa (Age: 21)
Jared Cowen (Age: 20)
David Rundblad (Age: 20)

If all of these players were on the team 10 players (Half of the Ottawa Senators line-up) would be under the age of 25 (7 of them under the age of 23) haha...

SChan*

This is exactly why Sweden is the no 2 hockey nation in the world. After Canada, they are generally the most hurt by teens in the NHL. Last year it was MPS, OEL and Josfsson. The year before Karlsson and Hedman. They lose at least 2 - 3 guys every year, while the Americans typically lose no more than one

exactly my point, thanks.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
haha, take that, that's how us Canadians felt when Edmonton hogged Hall and Eberle and NYI hung onto Tavares

not that I blame the teams but... Still

Eberle played out his eligibility, he couldn't go back last year.

XO

Nov 4, 2009

LOL, and how many games have you seen him play? seems like you just judge him by his stats.. :laugh:

Bakayoko Ono

Aug 12, 2007
Helsinki

Elitserien and SM-liiga are two completely different leagues. A year ago Antti Pihlström scored 10 points in 43 SEL games and after his transfer to FEL, he has scored 74 points in 78 FEL games.

SChan*

timanG[LEFT said:
[/LEFT]i;34590143]Elitserien and SM-liiga are two completely different leagues. A year ago Antti Pihlström scored 10 points in 43 SEL games and after his transfer to FEL, he has scored 74 points in 78 FEL games.

Shows how defensive sel is

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
This team can take medal..

Richard Rakell - Johan Larsson - Ludvig Renfeldt
Max Friberg - Johan Sundström - Marcus Sörensen
Pathrik Westerholm - Victor Rask - Pontus Westerholm
Joakim Nordström - Joachim Nermark - Jeremy Boyce
Filip Forsberg

Nemeth - Klingberg
Brodin - Klefbom
Claesson - Noren
Bengtsson

Sure it can be a medal team. I like your roster choices Landskronala. I have a good feeling about that defense, it could turn out really good. The only thing that team lacks is some superstar forward to lead the way. I hope for someone of the 94's Collberg, Sörensen or Forsberg to really break out and be a dominant force next season. At least Collberg and Forsberg have that potential, I have seen them be brilliant at times in Superelit.

heksagon

Jul 27, 2010
Finland
Elitserien and SM-liiga are two completely different leagues. A year ago Antti Pihlström scored 10 points in 43 SEL games and after his transfer to FEL, he has scored 74 points in 78 FEL games.

That's because the playing styles are completely different in FEL and SEL, not because there would be a huge talent cap between the two leagues. SEL is slower paced and less-physical, more tactical and defensive league while FEL is fast and physical which suites Philström perfectly. His point totals in the FEL are also affected by the fact that he playes in a team which has won the regular season titel three years in a row. His playing style just didn't work in the SEL at all.

But it worked well in the WHC finals against Sweden. :naughty::sarcasm:

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYhUKh4K_3w&feature=player_embedded

Having watched that a couple times now, at 17 and going from 10 or less minutes upwards towards 16-17 a game...makes me think he's a pretty good bet to make Ottawa next year.

The room is probably there, especially with Shannon now likely gone, and Silfverberg unavailable. 2nd line center is available in Ottawa and with that, 3rd line center is probably up for grabs as well.

This guy looks more talented than Landeskog, great character and demeanor, a little younger, taller, less physically mature, and has imposed himself physically against men. Great all around package.

Latex*

:handclap: It is quite impressive how you completely missed the point of my post and then went on to argue against numerous points I did not make.

Lol i feel like an ass now. I was piss drunk on Saturday night and shouldn't have posted anything when i came home. Apparently i did and look what happened..

My apologies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->