Sweden announces Olympic Orientation Camp

SwedenCanada

Sep 22, 2011
Sweden
First glimpse at the swedish olympic team - No Alfie or Silfverberg

With 8 months to go Per MÃ¥rts (head coach for team Sweden) announced which players that most likely will play in the Olympics.

Lehner and Karlsson in.
Alfredsson, Silfverberg and Zibanejad not apart of the 35 man big squad.

MÃ¥lvakter(Goalies):
Jhonas Enroth, Buffalo
Viktor Fasth, Anaheim
Robin Lehner, Ottawa
Henrik Lundqvist, New York Rangers

Backar(D):
Jonas Brodin, Minnesota
Alexander Edler, Vancouver
Oliver Ekman Larsson, Phoenix
Jonathan Ericsson, Detroit
Nicklas Grossman, Philadelphia
Erik Gustafsson, Philadelphia
Victor Hedman, Tampa Bay
Niklas Hjalmarsson, Chicago
Erik Karlsson, Ottawa
Niklas Kronwall, Detroit
Douglas Murray, Pittsburgh
Johnny Oduya, Chicago
Henrik Tallinder, New Jersey

Forwards:
Patrik Berglund, St. Louis
Nicklas Bäckström, Washington
Jimmie Ericsson, Skellefteå
Loui Eriksson, Dallas
Johan Franzén, Detroit
Carl Hagelin, New York Rangers
Patric Hörnqvist, Nashville
Marcus Johansson, Washington
Marcus Krüger, Chicago
Gabriel Landeskog, Colorado
Oscar Lindberg, Skellefteå
Joel Lundqvist, Frölunda
Gustav Nyquist, Detroit/Grand Rapids
Niklas Persson, Rapperswil
Daniel Sedin, Vancouver
Henrik Sedin, Vancouver
Alexander Steen, St. Louis
Henrik Zetterberg, Detroit

Mikael Backlund, Jacob Markström and Tobias Enström are other big names outside the team.

Remember 8 months to go, many things can happen. This team is not set.

TheOriginalSilf*

Makes you think: Lehner could absolutely end up backing-up Lundqvist in Sochi.

Cool.

pearcey

Jun 14, 2013
Alferdsson was definitely left of this list because he hasn't made up his mind on whether his will retire or not. Not surprised Zibanejad was left off the list because he really didn't play that well this year and you could contributed that to injuries he had and the fact that this was his first year in the NHL. Surprised to see Silfverberg being left of the list because of how he played in the SEL last year. I expect to see Silfverberg on that list before the Olympics and i expect Lehner to be backing up Lundqvist but with the way Enroth played in the World Championships I wouldn't be shocked to see him get the job

Dysentery

Ottawa Senators
Sep 14, 2011
New Brunswick
Alferdsson was definitely left of this list because he hasn't made up his mind on whether his will retire or not. Not surprised Zibanejad was left off the list because he really didn't play that well this year and you could contributed that to injuries he had and the fact that this was his first year in the NHL. Surprised to see Silfverberg being left of the list because of how he played in the SEL last year. I expect to see Silfverberg on that list before the Olympics and i expect Lehner to be backing up Lundqvist but with the way Enroth played in the World Championships I wouldn't be shocked to see him get the job

Zibanejad had a decent rookie season. I was impressed, and im very happy with him.

Injuries?? He was healthy the whole NHL season.

Did you even watch one game that Zibanejad played??

JackBauer

May 16, 2006
Ottawa, Ont.

did you watch any of the NHL games this season?

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I expect if Alfredsson plays next year that he'll get added to an amended list. I also expect Silfverberg to make his way onto the team with a strong opening to next year.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
People wondering why Silf or Zib were not invited should remember what happened to Canada in 2006

To be succesful you make a team, not throw a bunch of highly skilled player together and hope for the best; that does not work

Pavlikovsky

May 31, 2013
Gatineau, QC
People wondering why Silf or Zib were not invited should remember what happened to Canada in 2006

To be succesful you make a team, not throw a bunch of highly skilled player together and hope for the best; that does not work

Zibanejad is not all skill he is big and can hit and has some grit cant say the same about Silfverberg tho

WhiteLight*

???

In 2006, Canada took way too many players that did NOT deserve to be there. Like Foote, Smyth, Draper, etc. They were only there based on reputation, and that's why Canada lost. They didn't take the best players available.

Taking Kruger, Persson, Lundqvist, Lindberg, etc over Zib and Silf is absolutely stupid.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL NO ENSTROM?

Lmao.

Also, dun worry, Silfv will be on the team, not sure about Zibby cause Backstrom, Sedin, Steen, Zetterberg?/Berglund on the team

Unless Zibby plays amazing hockey.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
does anyone know how i can get a Karlsson olympic jersey? or do i have to wait till the olympics for a legit one to be released?

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
The omission of Tobias Enstrom is the biggest surprise for me but one hell of a good team should emerge from that list.

If Alfie wants to play I'm sure they'll accommodate him but they can ice 13 terrific forwards without him.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
in the international tourney thread they were talking about how the released roster has only a few RH shots. Karlsson and Hornqvist. Silf is a right hand shot, which should be very good news for him if he works hard this summer and performs in the first half of the season.

Alfie is also a right shot of course, and he has point experience on the powerplay, which could be key if they really do end up with just one RHD.
If sweden doesnt figure out that imbalance somehow, they're going to be in trouble. It's going to be quite easy for teams to just power down the left wing against RWs and defensemen on their backhand.

Spinkis

Dec 26, 2011
I'm not sure, but I don't think that Sweden had that many RH shots in 2006 either!

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
???

In 2006, Canada took way too many players that did NOT deserve to be there. Like Foote, Smyth, Draper, etc. They were only there based on reputation, and that's why Canada lost. They didn't take the best players available.

Taking Kruger, Persson, Lundqvist, Lindberg, etc over Zib and Silf is absolutely stupid.

Maybe to you but people on this board overrate Silf all the time. Zibanejad is just to young to make the team with all the Swedish veterans.

WhiteLight*

Maybe to you but people on this board overrate Silf all the time. Zibanejad is just to young to make the team with all the Swedish veterans.

I'm not nearly as high on Silf as some people here. I don't think he'll be more than a 50 point winger

But, he's still an established two-way winger in the NHL at the moment and was the SEL season and playoff MVP. He's a good deal better than some players on that list.

Zib included. Age is BS. Just take the best performers. Nicklas Persson? Please

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
I'm not nearly as high on Silf as some people here. I don't think he'll be more than a 50 point winger

But, he's still an established two-way winger in the NHL at the moment and was the SEL season and playoff MVP. He's a good deal better than some players on that list.

Persson is The top player on that Raperwhatever team !! Age is not BS experience means a whole lot in these single game elimination type tourneys. Did you see our young guys perform the last two games against Pittsburg. They were overwhelmed they are a lot better than that.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012

That's true. Even if Silf will only be a sophomore in the NHL next season, he dominated the SEL and was better than every forward in that league. That's the Swedish... Elite League.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad