"Swarm" Defence

Ganz

Dibs
Nov 4, 2005
Upton
It shuts down AHL teams and is effective there. I'm starting to think NHL skills are picking through it with ease.

Interested to see who else plays this though

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
At least it's better than Krueger's "make the centers do everything" defense.

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
While the other teams use an aggressive system, it's hardly the same. It's not as simple as aggressive == "swarm".

If you look at the way the players free themselves and go after the puck, there's a different manner to it. Pittsburg who nobody mentioned had a very aggressive offensive zone forecheck where they were just always on you and never let you have a look up ice, but in their own zone they played a more conservative way. The Oilers seem to do exactly the opposite... passive forecheck and then gamble hard in their own end.

I can't think of a team that will abandon the front of the net in order to send a 2nd and sometimes 3rd guy after the puck in the corner.

McDavidMcCup

Jul 9, 2007
My favourite part of the Swarm defense is the part where you let the opposition take a free shot from the slot 15 feet out. That is phenomenal.

Jesus

Oct 5, 2006
Just call it the "swarm" because the defence bit seems to be a bit of a misnomer.

knockoutpanda

Oilers Fan
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
My favourite part of the Swarm defense is the part where you let the opposition take a free shot from the slot 15 feet out. That is phenomenal.

It makes me want to pull my hair out. A defensive system that pulls players out of position. Even if they get the puck they can not move it out because every one in beside each other in the zone. Eakins needs to fix this or his NHL career will be short.

Kevotron

Jan 24, 2008
Edmonton
"Swarm defence" means our D or Dzone is constantly being swarmed by the opposition.
so we are playing this system to perfection currently.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I think Eakins mistook the "Swarm" defense for the Call of Duty "Swarm" which eliminates all of the opposition players

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
It's like a zerg rush except it never works.

Lmao I came in here to post something like this but it looks like you beat me to the punch.

I think it's more like a Starcraft Arcade game that resembles tower defence. Only, we can't seem to make it past the first wave.

Koto

May 3, 2011
I think this thread could benefit by converting from text posts, to pictures, graphics, and memes.

Pls deliver HF Oilers, I need a laugh.

McSaviour

Mar 6, 2013
Edmonton
I went through some games and look at where the majority of goals come from
1XnTYAG.jpg

BYdP9rh.jpg

gbzEPSK.jpg

Obvious trend of goals directly from the slot, really tough time for the goalie when the shooter can just pick a corner and score. The swarm obviously does not work for us if these goals continue to happen. Especially on the PP with this stupid diamond shape that leaves an open slot.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
1XnTYAG.jpg

BYdP9rh.jpg

gbzEPSK.jpg

Obvious trend of goals directly from the slot, really tough time for the goalie when the shooter can just pick a corner and score. The swarm obviously does not work for us if these goals continue to happen. Especially on the PP with this stupid diamond shape that leaves an open slot.

This is really telling, Eakins needs to see this

CanadianSuperPromise

Aug 21, 2012
Can we please go to a collapsed defense system :( we're not nearly mobile enough or tough on the boards to justify a swarm system.

Horseradish

Dec 9, 2005
London, ON
1XnTYAG.jpg

BYdP9rh.jpg

gbzEPSK.jpg

Impressive sleuthing.

Christ that's annoying. I mean, some of those goals should have been stopped, but speaking as a former goalie, the psychological issue of the other team ALWAYS having time to tee one up in front of you, time after time, really starts to wear on you. Even if the other team is getting chances in the slot but your team is trying to contest them, it makes a big difference.

Not to excuse the bad goals, but rather point out that it's really difficult to keep up your confidence when you keep seeing the boys in front of you give up grade-A chances every 5-10 minutes...once in a while it's fine, but every game, it's extremely disheartening.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
1XnTYAG.jpg

BYdP9rh.jpg

gbzEPSK.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised if 80% of goals in the league are scored in the areas these ones were. How do these graphics of a three game sample size prove anything?

skorf

Jun 30, 2013
"Swarm" Defense... everyone look at the puck and chase it like when you were 6 years old.
Don't worry about the guys open in the front of the net... look at the puck and go for it.

knockoutpanda

Oilers Fan
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
I am not sure if it works in the AHL but Eakins can no longer blame the goals simply on the goaltending. Eakins needs to take a good hard look at his systems he is trying to implement I am not sure they are NHL systems.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad