"Swarm" Defence

McSaviour

Mar 6, 2013
Edmonton
I wouldn't be surprised if 80% of goals in the league are scored in the areas these ones were. How do these graphics of a three game sample size prove anything?

Ok sure, 80% of goals are scored in that area but that includes tips and greasy goals off rebounds and whatnot. I watched all of these goals and they are all exactly the same except the 4th NJ goal from Elias, they are all uncontested wristers from the slot no dirty work needed the player walks in picks a corner and shoots it, or it is an uncontested passing play where nobody is breaking up passes as there is nobody in passing lanes as they are busy being out of position trying to "swarm"

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
While the other teams use an aggressive system, it's hardly the same. It's not as simple as aggressive == "swarm".

If you look at the way the players free themselves and go after the puck, there's a different manner to it. Pittsburg who nobody mentioned had a very aggressive offensive zone forecheck where they were just always on you and never let you have a look up ice, but in their own zone they played a more conservative way. The Oilers seem to do exactly the opposite... passive forecheck and then gamble hard in their own end.

I can't think of a team that will abandon the front of the net in order to send a 2nd and sometimes 3rd guy after the puck in the corner.

This.

The Oilers consistently give up the prime shooting areas on defence.
Its been that way all season which is why I was cutting the goalies a little slack. Goaltending has been an issue but this defensive system is THE MAIN problem IMO.

Dubnyk played a good game tonight and it made no difference.

I have been saying this all along...if they don't fix this issue it wont make any difference who is in net. This team will continue to lose.

The Team is now dead last in the Western Conference and the team in the last playoff spot is 6 points up with a game in hand. This after 10% of the games have been played.

Playoff hopes are perilously close to being over for the Oilers if the coaching staff cant make some adjustments fast. If this team still has 1 win after 10 games then stick a fork in the season.

Last edited:

The Perfect Human*

Very poorly-executed system for this team. I'm not even 100% sure if other teams are actually employing it.

It's one that bases itself on the opponent not having enough skill/ability to expose you on the man left open.

This is the NHL. Players control the puck without having to look at it. Saucer passes are simple for top players. Players have the wherewithal to move into open areas the second they feel the opposition peeling off, and there are even a class of players that thrive on drawing opponents into them while they have the puck for the sake of creating opportunities for teammates.

In theory this could still work, if the players had enough hockey IQ to know when to swarm and when to hold off. A perfect example was today when Gordon got exposed by Tavares, and Arco got exposed while over-committing on the other ES goal.

Pavel Datsyuk naturally plays the swarm. He has that 6th sense guiding him and he's right more often than not.

Eakins is in way over his head with this one.

Feb 9, 2013
I blame the swarm for all 'our' losses this season. I too would be pulling my hair out - if I didn't shave my head.

I believe Eakins is being exposed as the AHL coach he is... There are aspects of Eakins coaching I like, this is not one of them. I like the talk of fitness levels, but there needs to be sound and effective strategy to go along with it. Nugent-Hopkins playing 30 minutes a game will not be enough if the strategy is lacking... Eakins needs to play a little more chess and do a little less running.

I like Eakins, I just don't know if I have it in me to stomach the growing pains of a rookie coach.

MacT hired a rookie coach who reminded him of himself... MacT as GM and a rookie, and a rookie coach - maybe we should have expected exactly what we are getting.

My only salvation so far this season is waiting for the Canucks to implode. Luongo lit the fuse a few days ago...

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Why are ew blaming the system when it would work so much better if our guys stopped passing the puck to the other team. Our problems don't look system based, they look hockey based. Don't turn over the puck. Forecheck harder. Stop losing the guy you should be covering. These aren't system problems, it's our guys not playing professional level hockey.

arnott4prez

Apr 14, 2010
Pretty sure every team in the NHL has one of these bad boys

mail

Last edited:

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
I remember in the 80s Wayne Gretzky would draw 2 men to him and that would mean one Oiler was free to do damage when he was on the ice. Now our system has one of the other teams players open ALWAYS. Seems plenty dumb.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I went through some games and look at where the majority of goals come from
1XnTYAG.jpg

BYdP9rh.jpg

gbzEPSK.jpg

Obvious trend of goals directly from the slot, really tough time for the goalie when the shooter can just pick a corner and score. The swarm obviously does not work for us if these goals continue to happen. Especially on the PP with this stupid diamond shape that leaves an open slot.

Where did you find that? I wouldn't mind looking at at shot one?

tommyb

Sep 6, 2003
Visit site
Why are ew blaming the system when it would work so much better if our guys stopped passing the puck to the other team. Our problems don't look system based, they look hockey based. Don't turn over the puck. Forecheck harder. Stop losing the guy you should be covering. These aren't system problems, it's our guys not playing professional level hockey.

That's the point we're trying to make here ,they are being told to leave their man to join the 2 Dmen in the corner to force a turn over. What's been happening is they are losing the board battles and an undersized winger is left covering the slot.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
The Oilers are actually playing the Shart system.

They fart around long enough until they eventually crap the game away.

So far it's been effective in 7 of 8 games. Obviously it's not an effective system for shootouts.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Not at all, for either.

Leaf fan coming in Peace....not an Eakins fan but.....

Toronto plays the system you are all referring to as the swarm....it's a double down coverage that stems from a basketball system. Carlyle has used this system for a while now and is using this in Toronto. Detroit is not playing the same system...

The D needs to make a proper read and this takes time. It also involves all 5 players to read and react at the same time....it takes commitment and adjustments in thinking but it works. You start the double down when you get the offensive player with his face to the wall, and you immediately engage him with two players and a 3rd sniffing for the loose puck. This is done below or at the hash marks, and will most often involve both D man and the center. The strong side winger has to position himself to prevent the cross ice pass and the weak-side winger sags down to support the net front... The player sniffing also has to maintain body positioning to prevent the puck from getting to the net. If all players are on the same page this system prevents a lot of quality scoring chances in the prime scoring area of the ice.

I know this system as the Double Down and there is a lot more to it then I described but that is the basics of the system and the players responsibilities. You should give up more point shots while taking away more prime scoring shots from within the house.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Leaf fan coming in Peace....not an Eakins fan but.....

Toronto plays the system you are all referring to as the swarm....it's a double down coverage that stems from a basketball system. Carlyle has used this system for a while now and is using this in Toronto. Detroit is not playing the same system...

The D needs to make a proper read and this takes time. It also involves all 5 players to read and react at the same time....it takes commitment and adjustments in thinking but it works. You start the double down when you get the offensive player with his face to the wall, and you immediately engage him with two players and a 3rd sniffing for the loose puck. This is done below or at the hash marks, and will most often involve both D man and the center. The strong side winger has to position himself to prevent the cross ice pass and the weak-side winger sags down to support the net front... The player sniffing also has to maintain body positioning to prevent the puck from getting to the net. If all players are on the same page this system prevents a lot of quality scoring chances in the prime scoring area of the ice.

I know this system as the Double Down and there is a lot more to it then I described but that is the basics of the system and the players responsibilities. You should give up more point shots while taking away more prime scoring shots from within the house.

And Toronto has been piling up cups. Ooo let's copy Toronto.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
I asked Gregor & Staples if they had asked Acton & Hamilton about the system.

Gregor said he asked Acton earlier in the year and Acton said it worked well but took the team some time to understand it.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
And Toronto has been piling up cups. Ooo let's copy Toronto.

Nope, but we are starting to play a lot better and our PK improved a whole lot using the same system you are using and we are giving up less quality scoring chances then previously with a very young group of D and lots of new faces in our forward group.

The bigger issue is Eakins personality.....he likes to pick on young skilled players. Kadri was his wiping boy here....and it appears that Yak is his wiping boy there. He also tossed players under the bus....not a fan.

Good luck the rest of the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad