Post-Game Talk: Swaggy’s Current bae vs.His Filthy Ex (7PM)—“ Your mountain is waiting, So... get on your way!”

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Was fascinating to read some of the takes here so went back and watched the first two periods again, some notes:

1. Tippett played well with energy and was involved more than usual, good for him. He hit the post in the first period on a Vasy rebound (wide open net) and had that breakaway. If his best attribute is supposedly goal scoring, the guy has absolutely no finish. Like none.
2. Nuti looked very good, even better than against Dallas. Very good skater. Maybe Covid made his recovery slow.
3. High scoring chances as a metric once again proven to be complete garbage. Who does these? Tampa had at least five great scoring chances, probably more like 7-8 just in the second period alone. We're talking cross ice passes into one timers that are the worst for goalies. They just missed or hit the side of the net or totally whiffed on the shot. Driedger also had couple of great saves.
4. Yandle absolutely refuses to shoot on the PP, it's pathetic. Doesn't matter how wide open it is, he will always pass. He's zero threat from the point and the opponents know it.
5. In reality we had two clear cut breakaways, Huby in the first minute of the game and in the third Tippett. Several almost ones where the defender closed on the shooter which made them take the shot early and Vasy will save those ones easy. Or our guy couldn't get a shot off ( Barky, Duke at least). Barky dangled through the D once so I guess you can add that to the list if you like.
6. The shot clock means absolutely nothing against Tampa. They will let you shoot from low threat areas all day long because they know Vasy is the best goalie in the world and will stop those shots.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Was fascinating to read some of the takes here so went back and watched the first two periods again, some notes:

2. Nuti looked very good, even better than against Dallas. Very good skater. Maybe Covid made his recovery slow.

Covid and probably lack of consistent playing time. I think he and Montour could be surprisingly good with their speed.

Reactions: Pigge

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Third period notes:

1. Yandle finally throws the puck at the net from the point on the PP and immediately creates a huge scoring chance where Vasy need to make an unreal save. Credit when credit due but the guy absolutely needs to do that more, like it's wide open all the time cos no one respects his shot.
2. Huby's pass was great but pretty lucky, went under Hedman's stick. No idea why he didn't intercept that. Much better play was the way Huby got loose in the d zone to make it a 2 on 1.
3. The second goal wasn't great on Driedger, he reacted fairly slowly. Like he didn't know there was a guy there. Not terrible, seemed more like unlucky the way it bounced but still.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
That’s true: Barkov has this great ability of lifting up players: old Jagr, Bjugstad, Dadonov, Verhaege, Duke and so on

it’s also a unique gift of Barkov: note that McDavid hasn’t seen his wingers (often of similar caliber ex ante) explode.
McDavid can produce on his own, Barkov not to the same extent, hence why he uses his winger more imo.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
That’s true: Barkov has this great ability of lifting up players: old Jagr, Bjugstad, Dadonov, Verhaege, Duke and so on

it’s also a unique gift of Barkov: note that McDavid hasn’t seen his wingers (often of similar caliber ex ante) explode.
Excellent point, which is why teams, not individuals, win championships in hockey.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
Third period notes:

1. Yandle finally throws the puck at the net from the point on the PP and immediately creates a huge scoring chance where Vasy need to make an unreal save. Credit when credit due but the guy absolutely needs to do that more, like it's wide open all the time cos no one respects his shot.
2. Huby's pass was great but pretty lucky, went under Hedman's stick. No idea why he didn't intercept that. Much better play was the way Huby got loose in the d zone to make it a 2 on 1.
3. The second goal wasn't great on Driedger, he reacted fairly slowly. Like he didn't know there was a guy there. Not terrible, seemed more like unlucky the way it bounced but still.

Not sure how you can blame Driedger on a goal when a winger is left wide open next to him completely untouched without a defender in sight.

upload_2021-4-16_14-18-59.png

The puck is already in the net and Colton is still 15 ft away from the closest Panther. This was nothing but a complete and utter defensive breakdown, blaming Driedger is a joke right?

Last nights game by Vasi is exactly what most if not all of us expect more often from Bob. Imo.

For $10 Million a season can you blame them? Terrible contract and always will be.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
What’s our goals for vs goals against in the third period this year?

it still feels like closing out games strongly is an issue for us.
We're even in the first, +14 in the second, +1 in the third, and +4 in OT. If you remember early on in the season the team had a few comeback wins in the third. But lately it feels like the opposite.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Not sure how you can blame Driedger on a goal when a winger is left wide open next to him completely untouched without a defender in sight.

View attachment 423114

The puck is already in the net and Colton is still 15 ft away from the closest Panther. This was nothing but a complete and utter defensive breakdown, blaming Driedger is a joke right?

For $10 Million a season can you blame them? Terrible contract and always will be.

Is it his fault? No

Was it saveable....in my opinion yes. Problem with pictures it doesnt show the entirety of the play. Driedger did react late.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Twas a good game. Wished for a better end result. They have to keep with the process. And keep tweeking their play and try to get better (which I think they have been doing).
Playing Tampa, you have to be really good defensively. Because they keep the offensive pressure on all the time. Even if they don't have the puck, or are not shooting it, or are in their defensive zone, etc. They are always dangerous. At any moment they can create a glorious scoring chance.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
In just short of 13 minutes on the ice with Barkov and Tippett together, the team has on goal for and three against. Small sample size, but also nothing that indicates that Tippett should beat out the competition for that spot. He's pretty much in the same spot that Vatrano is, with simple north-south ability that will have to be proven in the bottom 6 to earn more fancy assignments the hard way. I think Tippett had an excellent game on the fourth line and if he can keep doing that consistently the production will come, and eventually he may move up the depth chart. He doesn't look like the kind of player who deserves a shortcut, and it wouldn't necessarily be good for his development anyway.

Marchment has earned his position by overperforming on the lower lines and playing well on the top line. My favorite stat from last night's game was Marchment's 8 absorbed hits, which didn't seem to bother him much.
Thanks for the stats hunting. Can you also please indicate how Marchment overperformed on the lower lines?
He clearly underperforms on the first line - he has some great battles but it hardly materializes into anything. He is not remotely close to replace Verhaege. I think a faster player would currently click more with Barky - Huby is not looking good right now with him.

I agree with you that OT does not necessarily deserve to be on the first and he definitely will his shot at some point - even if he is not going to stay there, no competition to Verhaege, at least not short term. Marchment has not been convincing, so why should OT not get a shot soon - even when he is currently doing a good job on the fourth?

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002
Thanks for the stats hunting. Can you also please indicate how Marchment overperformed on the lower lines?
He clearly underperforms on the first line - he has some great battles but it hardly materializes into anything. He is not remotely close to replace Verhaege. I think a faster player would currently click more with Barky - Huby is not looking good right now with him.

I agree with you that OT does not necessarily deserve to be on the first and he definitely will his shot at some point - even if he is not going to stay there, no competition to Verhaege, at least not short term. Marchment has not been convincing, so why should OT not get a shot soon - even when he is currently doing a good job on the fourth?
I do not agree that the first line has underperformed with Marchment. Barkov and Verhaeghe have a similar xGF% with or without Marchment (around 62%), suggesting that he has indeed been an adequate replacement for Duclair. Verhaeghe has arguably been the most active playmaker all season, so his skillset will be difficult to replace straight up.

I guess the most relevant comparison right now is Huberdeau and Marchment. Barkov has a 2.36 GF/60 (2.5 xGF) with Huberdeau and with Marchment 3.27 GF/60 (3.06 xGF%). Huberdeau has a 2.79 GF/60 with Wennberg, which probably makes him one of few who doesn't have his best stats with Barkov.

Marchment has an xGF% in the mid-50s on the lower lines (worse with Luostarinen and Tippett, perhaps they don't benefit as much from a power forward). This is what I mean by overperforming on the lower lines.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle

View attachment 423114

I didn't blame him? I was addressing some of the people who said he had a bad game, which is nonsense. It's a deflection from the side of the net, imo it just took a funny hop off his pad. It was his only questionable goal and more of a breakdown defensively.

Reactions: ProjectPanthers

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
I do not agree that the first line has underperformed with Marchment. Barkov and Verhaeghe have a similar xGF% with or without Marchment (around 62%), suggesting that he has indeed been an adequate replacement for Duclair. Verhaeghe has arguably been the most active playmaker all season, so his skillset will be difficult to replace straight up.

I guess the most relevant comparison right now is Huberdeau and Marchment. Barkov has a 2.36 GF/60 (2.5 xGF) with Huberdeau and with Marchment 3.27 GF/60 (3.06 xGF%). Huberdeau has a 2.79 GF/60 with Wennberg, which probably makes him one of few who doesn't have his best stats with Barkov.

Marchment has an xGF% in the mid-50s on the lower lines (worse with Luostarinen and Tippett, perhaps they don't benefit as much from a power forward). This is what I mean by overperforming on the lower lines.

:baghead:

Please stop with the stats. If you can't watch the games it's ok but don't pull conclusion from stats.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz

Beautiful stats. So how come OT has 3 times as many points than Marchment over the last 20 games (3 to 9 respectively) while playing about 10 minutes a game while Marchment has over 15 minutes?

Sure, OT has probably the easier matchups but also the much less talented linemates.

March does not produce on the first line. No reason to keep him there over OT - we both know that in a perfect world both would play bottom-6.

I still do not see 1 clear cut reason why March is the better player to merit to get 1st line minutes. It is not nearly as clear cut as you try to make it sound. Hard to compare if they never play with the same linemates.

And I am intentionally leaving Huby out of this.

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002
Beautiful stats. So how come OT has 3 times as many points than Marchment over the last 20 games (3 to 9 respectively) while playing about 10 minutes a game while Marchment has over 15 minutes?

Sure, OT has probably the easier matchups but also the much less talented linemates.

March does not produce on the first line. No reason to keep him there over OT - we both know that in a perfect world both would play bottom-6.

I still do not see 1 clear cut reason why March is the better player to merit to get 1st line minutes. It is not nearly as clear cut as you try to make it sound. Hard to compare if they never play with the same linemates.

And I am intentionally leaving Huby out of this.
They are different player types, so they contribute in different ways. Marchment is a power forward who creates space for his linemates and benefits the possession game. He takes a beating and shrugs it off. So far that is mostly along the boards (which is not insignificant), but if he can do the same in front of the goal he would be quite an asset.

I absolutely agree that there are better first line options when everyone is healthy. I'm just saying that I understand what Q sees in Marchment and Tippett. Trying to understand may help avoid frustration, if that is something to desire.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Man, Covid outbreak is happening again.
Selfishly, I wouldnt mind getting the season stopped till After June....you know....around the time Ekblad is healthy again :naughty:

Just delay it to July. :naughty:

Man, how things change. Early on Canadians and their media were acting all high and mighty about the Central starting the season in protocol and the North division no missing any games due to covid. Well well well how the turn tables.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013

Just to back the xGF%. Vergh-Barkov-Duclair scored 2.61 goals/60 and March-Barkov-Vergh scored 4.06 goals/60.
It's one of those Bjugstad situation where despite it's lack of talent and direct (points) production, the line is producing more with him than without. I couldn't tell you why it's that much more productive, maybe it's because Duke was so snakebitten and wasted opportunity while they don't even bother involving March.

The line I want to see for Tippett is Vatrano-Bennett-Tippett. One guy shot while the two other crash the net haha

Reactions: Pigge
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad