Waived: Canucks place F Sven Baertschi on waivers (Dec 15)

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
WD had a lot of questionable moves last season.

Oh, he's a terrible coach.

But the notion that he's aware that his 30th place offensive team can generate more goals by putting two of their better young players together as they have good chemistry and have generated great results ... but chooses not to do it because it takes a developing offensive player away from his defensive game, is one of the most bizarre, inexcusable things I've ever heard from a professional coach. It's just flat-out idiocy.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010

But the notion that he's aware that his 30th place offensive team can generate more goals by putting two of their better young players together as they have good chemistry and have generated great results ... but chooses not to do it because it takes a developing offensive player away from his defensive game, is one of the most bizarre, inexcusable things I've ever heard from a professional coach. It's just flat-out idiocy.

Yeah, I remember it. He said it in a post-game presser when they reunited the two, which is why it wasn't in print. Botch might have it in the provies but I heard it on a post-game show.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
He won't score 20 next year.

He's essentially the same player in his first 60ish games that he was this past season.

I'm not sure about this trajectory some believe he is on

I think he scored something like 12-13 of his goals in the second half. He needs to put it together but the potential is there.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton

All of it combined is what's most baffling.

Like if the team was scoring but playing poor defensively, and you have an option to move a player like prime Alex Burrows away from the prime Sedins to play with prime Kesler at the cost of a few goals...sure. Sacrificing a few goals with the benefit of uniting the best shutdown duo in the league isn't always the best move but in certain contexts can make a lot of sense.

But I'm pretty sure they moved Baertschi away from Horvat to play Higgins in that spot instead. :amazed: Etem was his other linemate...

Edit: Yup...

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
It's usually pretty clear from the way people phrase their responses whether or not they're looking at something objectively

The facts/stats and objective reasons people don't like his moves have been stated enough—do they really have to be included in every post?

There are valid reasons to be critical of JB. It's not just out of unfounded "hate" for the guy like many of his defenders claim.

As many have pointed out, this signing has been approved of by everyone who's posted. If people simply wanted to "crap on" the guy, that wouldn't be the case.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

Like if the team was scoring but playing poor defensively, and you have an option to move a player like prime Alex Burrows away from the prime Sedins to play with prime Kesler at the cost of a few goals...sure. Sacrificing a few goals with the benefit of uniting the best shutdown duo in the league isn't always the best move but in certain contexts can make a lot of sense.

But I'm pretty sure they moved Baertschi away from Horvat to play Higgins in that spot instead. :amazed: Etem was his other linemate...

In WD's defense, good luck finding a worse lineup in the NHL than that last year. Just brutal.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC

Ugh, what an ugly lineup. And Granlund and Vey on the 2nd line just reeks of an agenda.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Middle six players will never have scoring consistency. If they had it, they would be first-liners. Every guy who scores 15-20 goals will have peaks and valleys.

Yeah, I worry that Baertschi will eventually get the Mason Raymond treatment from the fans.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
nothing about baertschi has been inconsistent this year. he was genuinely one of the most consistent forwards on the team this year, lol

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Hopefully he can put it all together he could be a real decent 4th/3rd liner if he can figure it out

I think he will be. I didn't like his usage but I do think he's a pretty good player and I'd still pull the trigger on that trade. He seemed pretty snakebitten in the first little portion of his time in Vancouver.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Is there a defense for turning a crap roster into a putrid lineup?

Well they beat the Western Conference champs that night, so I guess he did his job.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a WD fan but that example brought up is probably his peak coaching this year performance all things considered.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
The facts/stats and objective reasons people don't like his moves have been stated enough—do they really have to be included in every post?

There are valid reasons to be critical of JB. It's not just out of unfounded "hate" for the guy like many of his defenders claim.

As many have pointed out, this signing has been approved of by everyone who's posted. If people simply wanted to "crap on" the guy, that wouldn't be the case.

There are definitely valid reasons. The problem isn't that people want to crap on him for no reason, it's that their poor opinions of him seem to affect their evaluations of his moves. Rather than look at all sides, they seem to focus only on the negative in order to validate their opinion. Not everyone who dislikes him, but definitely the posts that spend more words bashing Benning than analyzing the move. The fact that this move is getting positive reviews is more of a sign that there isn't much to criticize. But a few people still feel the need to qualify it by stating their surprise that he didn't make a mistake.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
So it looks like Sven and girlfriend Laura are going to jail.

Link if you want to help bail him out.

Sven Baertschi of the Vancouver Canucks and his girlfriend, Laura are locking themselves in a dog kennel on Friday August 12and they need your help to get out! As an important fundraiser for the BC SPCA, Sven & Laura need to raise at least $4000 to be set free. The BC SPCA rescues and supports thousands of abused, neglected, homeless, injured and sick animals each year across British Columbia, giving these animals the opportunity for a healthy and happy life.

1870.1692350634.custom.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad