Sven Andrighetto vs. Charles Hudon

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Pacioretty-Plekanec-Frolik (go score)
Galchenyuk-Eller-Gallagher (Galch be as creative as you want and let Larry take care of the D)
DeLaRose-Mitchell-Weise (Checking line with a smidgen of talent)
Prust-Desharnais-DSP (2 big bodies with DD, could surprise with some pts against 4th liners)
extra:Flynn/Bournival

Markov-Subban
Emelin-Petry
Beaulieu-Pateryn
extra: Tinordi (agree move Gilbert)
Sweet. Let's never give our kids a chance and continue in the same loop.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
There is a difference between harping on a guy's height ("wee David" or"the midget") or someone's colour, sexual orientation and so forth, which are all things one has no control over, versus calling out a player for loafing, cherrypicking and not hustling. Those are fair game, IMO.

of course all that is fair game, but it's one thing to discuss your opinions and another to use a childish nickname.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Sweet. Let's never give our kids a chance and continue in the same loop.

Never give our kids a chance?

Pateryn 24
Gallagher 23
Bournival 23
Tinordi 23
Beaulieu 22
Galchenyuk 21
DeLaRose 20

All seven of these guys are on their ELC or just finishing them. 3 years of pro or less.

Only three players older than 30.

Plus I have previously posted that I was fine with Scherbak or McCarron making the team, maybe Hudon. If any of those guys can beat out Prust or Desharnais or Flynn, make room for them!

Last edited:

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013

Pateryn 24
Gallagher 23
Bournival 23
Tinordi 23
Beaulieu 22
Galchenyuk 21
DeLaRose 20

All seven of these guys are on their ELC or just finishing them. 3 years of pro or less.

Only two players older than 30.

Plus I have previously posted that I was fine with Scherbak or McCarron making the team, maybe Hudon. If any of those guys can beat out Prust or Desharnais or Flynn, make room for them!

To be fair. Gallagher is the only one of those guys being used in the role they're capable of.

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton

Pateryn 24
Gallagher 23
Bournival 23
Tinordi 23
Beaulieu 22
Galchenyuk 21
DeLaRose 20

Only two players older than 30.

Only 2 players on your list was regularly playing a top nine forward or top 4 defenseman role on the team last year. The same 2 guys that got their chance to break out 3 seasons ago. The other guys you listed, only Beaulieu played more than 35 games, and he was 6th on the depth chart in ice-time. Pretty much every team has youth like that in deep depth roles, they aren't significant unless they are playing real minutes.

The last 2 years Montreal has been awfully slow to bring up new talent and play them in significant roles. The one guy they put any effort into even trying was Sekac and they gave up on him awfully quick. Maybe its conservatism or maybe its a rough patch in the development cycle, but Montreal hasn't been injecting youth into positions of responsiblity recently.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Only 2 players on your list was regularly playing a top nine forward or top 4 defenseman role on the team last year. The same 2 guys that got their chance to break out 3 seasons ago. The other guys you listed, only Beaulieu played more than 35 games, and he was 6th on the depth chart in ice-time. Pretty much every team has youth like that in deep depth roles, they aren't significant unless they are playing real minutes.

The last 2 years Montreal has been awfully slow to bring up new talent and play them in significant roles. The one guy they put any effort into even trying was Sekac and they gave up on him awfully quick. Maybe its conservatism or maybe its a rough patch in the development cycle, but Montreal hasn't been injecting youth into positions of responsiblity recently.

They might cost us a goal against!!!

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

Pateryn 24
Gallagher 23
Bournival 23
Tinordi 23
Beaulieu 22
Galchenyuk 21
DeLaRose 20

Only three players older than 30.

To be fair. Gallagher is the only one of those guys being used in the role they're capable of.

3rd line role for DLR is exactly what he is capable of.

Gallagher and Galchenyuk on the 2nd are again what they"re capable of right now. Maybe eentually they get to first line, but there can be no complaint about playing 2nd line minutes and being given freedom to be creative offensively.

Pateryn is in the role he is capable of.

Beaulieu starting as 5th D and possibly moving up if he shows well, no problem there.

Only Tinordi and Bournival are in support roles, but they will get plenty of chances to play due to injuries or another guy faltering at times, I am sure.

Out with Gonchar, Weaver, Allen, Malhotra, Parenteau, Gilbert - that's six of the nine guys older than 30 moved out in a single summer.

And somehow THIS lineup is being criticized for not giving youth enough chance?!

Winter Eclipse

Nov 28, 2013
New York, NY

Exactly. I love how putting young guys in depth positions is considered "giving them a chance to prove themselves"; then, when they put up depth player numbers, that's used as "proof" that they don't deserve better minutes / usage.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
3rd line role for DLR is exactly what he is capable of.

Gallagher and Galchenyuk on the 2nd are again what they"re capable of right now. Maybe eentually they get to first line, but there can be no complaint about playing 2nd line minutes and being given freedom to be creative offensively.

Pateryn is in the role he is capable of.

Beaulieu starting as 5th D and possibly moving up if he shows well, no problem there.

Only Tinordi and Bournival are in support roles, but they will get plenty of chances to play due to injuries or another guy faltering at times, I am sure.

Out with Gonchar, Weaver, Allen, Malhotra, Parenteau, Gilbert - that's six of the nine guys older than 30 moved out in a single summer.

And somehow THIS lineup is being criticized for not giving youth enough chance?!
Come on. Gallagher and Galchenyuk have been on the team for years.

When do other youngsters get a chance? If we sign Frolik long-term.. we're really making it hard for them to win a spot... anytime soon.

Sure, we've let a few break through. Years ago. If Andrighetto came up on any other team and done what he did here, he would have been given an extended look. Instead, we through him in a position he has no use being in, wreck his confidence, and then send him back down.

Look at Tampa Bay, for example.

Johnson, Kucherov, Palat, Killhorn, Drouin, and Paquette.. all played relatively decent roles on the club and all have basically 2 years of less of experience. They had plenty of other players with no experience that played more than a handful of games as well.

I just think we need to put our young firepower in a place to succeed. Shoving them on the 4th line and making them grab "the brass ring" is not going to work 99% of the time.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I prefer Ghetto's all-around skill. I think he has more raw talent and could turn into something special if we give him a chance, meaning not putting him on the 4th line after getting 3 points in his first 3 games at the NHL level.

Hudon probably has better odds of having any kind of impact at the NHL level. I could see him taking over Plekanec's role in some capacity. My only concern is his skating. It's really the one thing I noticed the most during pre-season as I don't watch AHL games. He appeared slow for his size.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

When do other youngsters get a chance? .

When they make their own chance, like the two Gallys did in Jan 2013.

Frolik replacing Parenteau does not make it impossible for a youngster to come up and make the club.

DeLaRose did it last year. Beaulieu too. Pateryn at the end. Tinordi this year will probably stick too.

Smith-Pelley just turned 23. But if he doesn't hustle, he could lose his spot to a hungrier kid.

It's dumb to hand a top 9 forward or top 4 D job to a player who has not yet proven himself in the league. but there WILL be chances to play minutes and show what one can do.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Bealieu did not create chances for himself. He got to play due to multiple simultaneous injuries.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

When do other youngsters get a chance? If we sign Frolik long-term.. we're really making it hard for them to win a spot... anytime soon.

Sure, we've let a few break through. Years ago. If Andrighetto came up on any other team and done what he did here, he would have been given an extended look. Instead, we through him in a position he has no use being in, wreck his confidence, and then send him back down.

Look at Tampa Bay, for example.

Johnson, Kucherov, Palat, Killhorn, Drouin, and Paquette.. all played relatively decent roles on the club and all have basically 2 years of less of experience. They had plenty of other players with no experience that played more than a handful of games as well.

I just think we need to put our young firepower in a place to succeed. Shoving them on the 4th line and making them grab "the brass ring" is not going to work 99% of the time.

MB said last summer he wanted to leave spots on defense for our young guys, Beaulieu, Tinordi, Pateryn. That blew up in his face, he got lucky that Gonchar was able to help Beaulieu settle into his role.

What other rookies should have been in the NHL? Ghetto? I think they were right to send him back to work on his defensive play, we have been burned by rushing too many kids to the NHL in the past. Bournival, Leblanc, Tinordi, Beaulieu certainly was looking that way.

I prefer Ghetto's all-around skill. I think he has more raw talent and could turn into something special if we give him a chance, meaning not putting him on the 4th line after getting 3 points in his first 3 games at the NHL level.

Hudon probably has better odds of having any kind of impact at the NHL level. I could see him taking over Plekanec's role in some capacity. My only concern is his skating. It's really the one thing I noticed the most during pre-season as I don't watch AHL games. He appeared slow for his size.

I think Hudon has more skill then Ghetto. Hudon's skating isn't the best but I don't think it's a real issue. He could certainly stand to be quicker but he's the type that likes to slow the play down.

What about Reway?

We'll find out next year if he wants to come over or not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad