Injury Report: Svechnikov

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
This is pretty devastating news. I’m not sure what to make of Svechnikov as a prospect, feel like he’s missing a few things, but this is a crippling blow to his chances long term. Really sucks.
His floor in my opinion was a 30 point bottom sixer, which is a nice floor. I'm not sure of his ceiling but he would have been a decent piece.
Who knows? Maybe he bounces back, but it'll be an uphill battle for him.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Does anyone know who the head of security is for the wings? I talked to him before the game Monday and all he said was “Gino will be out for a long time”

He’s a great guy. Anyone else met him?

I know the head of security for Olympia if that’s who you’re referring to.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Luckily its just ACL, lots of athletes fully recover from that. Its when they tear multiple ligaments that their career's are forever changed. It sucks that he will loose a year of development though.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Hope he makes a full recovery. Not the best type of injury for a kid who needs to get a little quicker on his feet, and the timing couldn’t be worse. We could have Veleno, Zadina, a top 5 pick, Smith and maybe more pushing onto the NHL roster next season. Geno will need to come back strong to save his NHL career with the Wings.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Guess this means Nyquist gets resigned, which was probably 50/50% anyway knowing KH.
tumblr_nx9x84ZYJ41shob51o1_400.gif

Last edited:

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Guess this means Nyquist gets resigned, which was probably 50/50% anyway knowing KH.

This has no bearing on that. You could have Zadina and Velenl ready to make the team anyway next year and Ken Holland could be a lame duck this year for all we know.

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017

he'll be back, ACL reconstruction is a pretty standard procedure nowadays. Of course, this sucks, and i was always rooting for him and thought he was a very talented kid. I hoped we would see him this year... he'll be 22 next summer and has missed some development time, but i hope that next year he's a bit more lucky.

Btw, look at that guys forearms and hands. He looks like a tight end, massive athlete. Could be a nice power forward

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Sucks.

He misses his chance to make a mark at the NHL level, but he at least gets to make NHL money while on IR. I also don't think it hurts his chances of getting to the NHL level since he's probably always been a lock to make the NHL roster once his waiver exemption runs out for next season.

I would imagine this means that Ehn gets a longer look at the NHL level, and any consideration to sending Rasmussen back to junior is squashed. Obviously, some other guys in GR will get a chance when other injuries pile up at forward.

Given that the team will likely be well out of the playoffs, if Svechnikov is ready before the end of the season he probably plays the rest of the year on the NHL roster. Which he'll need, since I'm guessing if he's on IR at the trade deadline, he won't be eligible for the AHL playoffs after the NHL season is done.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Terrible news but his career isn't over. The kid is a fighter and my belief is he will be a solid NHL player one day.

I hope. Something about his body language and smile has always made him seem incredibly affable. While he didn't light up the score sheet last year, I did think he played a decent game that could one day mold itself into a decent middle 6er who didn't really have as much talent as we hoped upon drafting him, but hustled hard and was strong on the boards. I'll never forget how easily he manhandeled two players in front of the net in a scrum.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Bit of an Update on Svechnikov from St. James:

His season was waylaid by a knee injury during exhibition season, and he underwent ACL reconstruction on his right knee Oct. 16. The time frame for his return was 5-6 months. He has been on injured reserve, and per CBA rules, teams cannot assign players on IR to the minors. The Wings have reached out to the NHL to find out if there is a way to make him eligible for the AHL playoffs, even though Svechnikov isn’t expected to be ready to play before mid-March.

The Wings are still trying to figure out what they have in Svechnikov — he showed promise in his first year of pro hockey (20 goals, a Calder Cup championship) but struggled last season (seven goals in 57 games with the Griffins, two goals and two assists in 14 games with the Wings). Teams have to make their players eligible for the AHL playoffs by the deadline, so the Wings are trying to figure out what their options are.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad