Svechnikov vs Pettersson

Svech or Petey

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
Pettersson, but being a C plays into his favour. If they were the same position I think it goes either way, they are different players.
A position doesn't favor anything. It's a thing that can't act. I supect you are talking about the general case of C's having more defensive responsibilities than wingers. It still can't magically make their personal defensive skill better. There are plenty of wingers who are very good defensively. As well as plenty of centers who are very bad defensively.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
A position doesn't favor anything. It's a thing that can't act. I supect you are talking about the general case of C's having more defensive responsibilities than wingers. It still can't magically make their personal defensive skill better. There are plenty of wingers who are very good defensively. As well as plenty of centers who are very bad defensively.

Center is a more important position. It doesn't make a player "better", but it does make him more valuable if it's close

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
Center is a more important position. It doesn't make a player "better", but it does make him more valuable if it's close
Well, "President" is an important position. "Prime-minister" is an important position. "Captain" is an important position. What is so important about the center position? It does not have any authority or power over other positions. A center can't tell a winger: "you doing bad, get your **** together or I will bench you for the next game".

Last edited:

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Well, "President" is an important position. "Prime-minister" is an important position. "Captain" is an important position. What is so important about the center position? It does not have any authority of power over other positions. A center can't tell a winger: "you doing bad, get your **** together or I will bench you for the next game".

Are you actually serious?

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
Centers are more important. You have been proving wrong and can move on.
Center is not important. You can't prove the importance. Because there is no proof of that exist. Now, you can safely follow your own advice to move on.

maroon 6

Dec 31, 2009
British Columbia
This is an opinion. It's not a fact. I did not ask you for your or someone else opinion. I asked you to support your opinion with a fact. Do you have any facts supporting your opinion?

A center drives his line. The highest assists in a season by a left winger is 70 and by a right winger is 87. Meanwhile there's been 33 times where a center had 87 or more assists.

Most teams have a center leading the TOI among forwards.

A team always has a center and a defenceman on the ice at all times but not a winger (5 on 3 situations).

There's 2 wingers for every center yet when you look at the top forwards currently and all-time it's overwhelmingly lead by centers.

When it comes to Pettersson vs Svech I don't think position is enough to sway for Petey. Both of these guys have crazy potential. As a Canucks fan I'll stick with Petey but I wouldn't be surprised if Svech becomes the better player. I think the difference between a center and a winger is a little overstated on these forums but it's undeniable that a center is more important than a winger though.

Also as a Canucks fan, the Sedins are the best example for why a center is more important than a winger. Two players with nearly identical numbers but Henrik Sedin was definitely more widely regarded as the more important player.

Last edited:

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
1) A center drives his line.
2) The highest assists in a season by a left winger is 70 and by a right winger is 87. Meanwhile there's been 33 times where a center had 87 or more assists.
3) Most teams have a center leading the TOI among forwards.
4) A team always has a center and a defenceman on the ice at all times but not a winger (5 on 3 situations).
5) There's 2 wingers for every center
6) yet when you look at the top forwards currently and all-time it's overwhelmingly lead by centers.
7) When it comes to Pettersson vs Svech I don't think position is enough to sway for Petey but it's undeniable that a center is more important than a winger.

1) Wingers do it as well. Even D-men on some teams do the same.
2) Just last year a winger won Art Ross. Anyway it does not prove importance, it proves personal skills of people.
3) It proves that their best players are centers. On the other teams where a winger is the best player, he leads in TOI. Check Caps TOI, check Tampa TOI, for example. Needless to say their best players are not centers.
4) Not really. There are cases when there are no centers on the ice during PK, 4-on-4 or 3-on-3. Again it depends on who are the best players and how good they are in certain situations.
5) That actually proves that wingers are more important. Since there are 2 of them.
6) That proves that coaches like to put their best players in the center. Which is very understandable. They want their best players to take part in everything that happens on the ice. It's much easier to do it from the center, than from one side of the ice. Simply because the distance from center to side is twice shorter, than the distance from side to side.
7) Well, it comes to this question. So I am very interested in this HF myth about some undeniable importance of centers, that no one can explain and no one can prove.

I am pretty sure this HF myth is simply an incorrect formula: "the best player" = "the center". When it's the same thing, when the best player plays C, there is no problem. But when the best player is winger, this formula does not work. So in order to resolve this problem, the myth was born about some "undeniable importance".

While, in reality the correct formula looks like this: "the best player" = "the guy who plays best, position does not matter".

Last edited:

maroon 6

Dec 31, 2009
British Columbia
1) Wingers do it as well. Even D-men on some teams do the same.
2) Just last year a winger won Art Ross. Anyway it does not prove importance, it proves personal skills of people who play on center positions.
3) It proves that their best players are centers. On the other teams where a winger is the best player, he leads in TOI. Check Caps TOI, check Tampa TOI, for example. You are up for the surprise.
4) Not really. There are cases when there are no centers on the ice during PK, 4-on-4 or 3-on-3. Again it depends on who are the best players and how good they are in certain situations.
5) That actually proves that wingers are more important. Since there are 2 of them.
6) That proves that coaches like to put their best players in the center. Which is very understandable. They want their best players to take part in everything that happens on the ice. It's much easier to do it from the center, than from one side of the ice. Simply because the distance from center to side is twice shorter, than the distance from side to side.
7) Well it comes to this question. So I am very interested in this HF myth about some undeniable importance of centers, that no one can explain and no one can prove.

1/2. I'm talking about forwards. Yes obviously some wingers do drive the line but it's more often a center. Hence why centers rack up more assists. Why look at last year, when you can look at the history of the NHL? The reason why you have so many centers having higher assists seasons than wingers is because they drive the line.

3. I said most for a reason. Yes you have some wingers leading the TOI on their teams among forwards but it's mostly centers. Don't want to go through every team's TOI leaders among forwards but if you look at the current top 30 TOI for forwards you have 18 C's vs 8 LW's and 18 C's vs 4 RW's.

4. Maybe shouldn't have said always but again you're more likely to have a center on at all times than a winger.

5. That's not how supply and demand works. Assuming every thing is equal, a team would much rather lose a winger in a game than a center.

6. Coaches don't choose what positions a player plays as much as you'd like to think. Theres more autonomy in playing which side a winger or d plays however. Some wingers do switch to center but pretty much all of the top centers currently and historically came in to the league as centers. A lot more centers switch to wings then the other way around, just because they can't handle center duties.

Last edited:

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
1/2. I'm talking about forwards. Yes obviously some wingers do drive the line but it's more often a center. Hence why centers rack up more assists. Why look at last year, when you can look at the history of the NHL? The reason why you have so many centers having higher assists seasons than wingers is because they drive the line.

3. I said most for a reason. Yes you have some wingers leading the TOI on their teams among forwards but it's mostly centers. Don't want to go through every team's TOI leaders among forwards but if you look at the current top 30 TOI for forwards you have 18 C's vs 8 LW's and 18 C's vs 4 RW's.

4. Maybe shouldn't have said always but again you're more likely to have a center on at all times than a winger.

5. That's not how supply and demand works. Assuming every thing is equal, a team would much rather lose a winger in a game than a center.

6. Some wingers do switch to center but pretty much all of the top centers currently and historically came in to the league as centers.

1/2/3/4. If there are wingers or D-men who can do the same, especially just the last year, then your statements are not facts. They are just arguments. Sure good arguments, but still not facts.

5. A team would prefer the best guys (best for the given situation) on the ice, position does not matter. And this is exactly how supply and demand works. Customers want "the best", customers do not want "important".

6. Centers and wingers do not grow on trees. They had coaches and played hockey before they come to the NHL. Those coaches are not stupid. They see a good kid, they put him in center.

Last edited:

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
This de-railed fast.

Anyways, to the question at-hand...I'm in a clear minority, but I take Svech. I'd be glad to have either...but watching both, Svechnikov looks like the more-complete player. He's going to have a higher impact on the game because of the things he does other than score.

Purely scoring, I'd favor Pettersson though.

maroon 6

Dec 31, 2009
British Columbia
1/2/3/4. If there are wingers or D-men who can do the same, especially just last year, then your statements are not facts. They are just arguments. Sure good arguments, but still not facts.

5. A team would prefer the best guys (best for the given situation) on the ice, position does not matter. And this is exactly how supply and demand works. Customers want "the best", customers do not want "important".

6. Centers and wingers do not grow on trees. They had coaches and played hockey before they come to the NHL. Those coaches are not stupid. They see a good kid, they put him in center.

I've at least provided some stats and examples which you haven't. You didn't want someone's opinion but that's exactly what you're giving me. Why would they put a good kid in center? There must be a reason.

This is exactly why center is the more important position and why you'd want the "good kid" to play center.

I do agree with you though that the difference between a winger and center is overstated. Especially when it comes to the draft.

Last edited:

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
1) I've at least provided some stats and examples which you haven't. You didn't want someone's opinion but that's exactly what you're giving me. Why would they put a good kid in center? There must be a reason.

2) This is exactly why center is the more important position and why you'd want the "good kid" to play center.

1) Well, you provided your TOI, I provided my TOI. I don't see a problem here. Plus it's not me who stated that "centers are more important". You came here to defend that statement, which is why it's your task to find facts to support it, not mine :nod:

2) Hey you can't use my argument against me :laugh: Find your own argument :nod: On serious note, it does not give any advantage to a center. It only gives advantage to a best player, who can apply his skills more often. Since it does not provide the same advantage to any player who takes this position, then it's not the position provides advantage, it's a player who provides it.

Last edited:

maroon 6

Dec 31, 2009
British Columbia
1) Well, you provided your TOI, I provided my TOI. I don't see a problem here. Plus it's not me who stated that "centers are more important". You came here to defend that statement, which is why it's your task to find facts to support it, not mine :nod:

2) Hey you can't use my argument against me :laugh: Find your own argument :nod: On serious note, it does not give any advantage to a center. It only gives advantage to a best player, who can apply his skills more often.

1. Lol fair enough.

2. It's a valid point though. You want the good kid, especially the one with one with good vision, playmaking abilities and defence as a center to better utilise him.

For the record, I didn't pick Pettersson because of his position. Pettersson still needs to work on somethings that come with being a center like faceoffs which his line mate JT Miller has taken a lot of this year. And it's not like he's killing any penalties right now and he's definitely not on for 5 on 3 situations.

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
1. Lol fair enough.

2. It's a valid point though. You want the good kid, especially the one with one with good vision and playmaking abilities as a center to better utilise him.

3. For the record, I didn't pick Pettersson because of his position. Pettersson still needs to work on somethings that come with being a center like faceoffs which his line mate JT Miller has taken a lot of this year. And it's not like he's killing any penalties right now and he's definitely not on for 5 on 3 situations.

2. Sure thing.

3. Then we have nothing to argue about :nod:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad