Confirmed with Link: Svechnikov signed $7.75M aav, 8yrs

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
8 years at under $8M has the potential to be an almost Slavin level contract steal.

Worst case, the player he was last year would be getting paid this much 8 years from now.

Also, getting this done way ahead of training camp is a nice win.

Can’t complain about this at all. The front office done good.

Agreed. The cap hit may be high the next year or 2 for performance but that's exactly what you do when you sign a great young player to an 8 year deal: you sacrifice the cap space now to have more cap space later.

I haven't been very happy with most of the moves this off-season, but this is a very good one and exactly what is needed to give fans a star to connect with long-term.

According to CapFriendly this leaves the Canes with $4.5M in cap space, so a Gardiner move would be required now for someone like Tarasenko.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
The interesting thing is, wasn't the rumor of what we offered from last year or whatever 8 x 7.5? We didn't have to move a whole lot on this. Probably comfort level, the team has been good, cost of living, the uncertainty of the world, and I'm sure more worked out in our favor. I still always wonder if we had gotten a full offseason to work with Aho if we could have found a better long-term deal.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Can't complain about that deal at all! Honestly even if he has a couple more "down years" while he's growing this deal is well worth it...I have no doubts that in 3-4 years (max) this will end up looking like a value-contract! Seems kinda like the 2016 MacKinnon contract adjusted for inflation (and their stats aren't all that dissimilar, lets hope for that PPG+ breakout!)

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Cool. Now let's get him scoring again!

Watch him break out for like 45 goals this year... It honestly wouldn't surprise me. He's fully capable of being a 40goal/60assist guy, especially if playing with Aho and TT and if they continue to develop their chemistry.

Also I really think we need to change up how we utilize Svech on the PP. His role has been figured out by every other team, hopefully that's a priority this offseason. I can see TDA and Svech working some magic on the PP if coached well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad