Suzuki vs Horvat

Who would you prefer on your team

• Total voters

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Suzuki's 4 years younger and I bet he'll surpass Horvat's career high in points this year now that he'll get 1C icetime all year

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
yes and Suzuki carried the 1c role vs Toronto, Winnipeg, Vegas.
Other think to bring up to diminish his value to make you feel better with Horvat ?

Comparing Toronto, Winnipeg and Vegas, to...

Minnesota, St. Louis, and Vegas.

Hmmmmm

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Comparing Toronto, Winnipeg and Vegas, to...

Minnesota, St. Louis, and Vegas.

Hmmmmm

Toronto been a top team in the league and will remain a top team for a couple more years. Minnesota overachieved - They were already a middle of the pack team and then started to slowly offloads important assets over the past two years. St-Louis is cooked - Middle of the pack team last year and will remain there for the foreseeable future. Same for Winnipeg although at least now this coming year they somehow fixed their D so they’ll probably be a top 10 team. Vegas is a legit top 5 team in the league.

I’d rather face Minnesota, St-Louis and Vegas in the playoff rather than Toronto, Winnipeg and Vegas

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto been a top team in the league and will remain a top team for a couple more years. Minnesota overachieved - They were already a middle of the pack team and then started to slowly offloads important assets over the past two years. St-Louis is cooked - Middle of the pack team last year and will remain there for the foreseeable future. Same for Winnipeg although at least now this coming year they somehow fixed their D so they’ll probably be a top 10 team. Vegas is a legit top 5 team in the league

Toronto in its current core never got past the 1st round, it was a free pass.

Minnesota at the time played a stingy defensive game with solid goaltending.

Winnipeg had poor D last year when the Habs played them.

St Louis literally just won the Cup the year before facing Vancouver.

Vegas for Demko'ed and lost to Dallas, according to their coach.

So, Suzuki definitely had a easier time IMO.
I would have loved to seen Suzuki being matched up against O'Riley.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto in its current core never got past the 1st round, it was a free pass.

Minnesota at the time played a stingy defensive game with solid goaltending.

Winnipeg had poor D last year when the Habs played them.

St Louis literally just won the Cup the year before facing Vancouver.

Vegas for Demko'ed and lost to Dallas, according to their coach.

So, Suzuki definitely had a easier time IMO.
I would have loved to seen Suzuki being matched up against O'Riley.

Suzuki has already been matched against Crosby, Malkin, Giroux, Couturier, Matthews, Tavares*, Scheifele*, Point and Cirelli. I don’t really understand what your point is but thanks for bringing that up.

* = 1 game only though

Also, I’m pretty sure O’Rielly was matched against Pettersson to shut him down as he’s a much bigger threat than Horvat is.. when healthy

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Suzuki has already been matched against Crosby, Malkin, Giroux, Couturier, Matthews, Tavares*, Scheifele*, Point and Cirelli. I don’t really understand what your point is but thanks for bringing that up.

* = 1 game only though

Also, I’m pretty sure O’Rielly was matched against Pettersson to shut him down as he’s a much bigger threat than Horvat is.. when healthy

None of those players are exactly defensive stars.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Are we going to ignore the fact that guys like Crosby and Matthews are like twice the player that O'Reilly is?

Crosby has rings, Matthews doesn't. not sure how those two can be on the same list.

Sempiternal

Jul 5, 2014
I like Horvat's grit and leadership, while still being able to produce offensively. And I don't like the Canucks or their fans.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Maroon has like three rings. So what's your point?

Maroon is a better playoff player than Matthews.

Also, my original point was that Suzuki had not faced enough quality competition, he had Danault.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Maroon is a better playoff player than Matthews.

Also, my original point was that Suzuki had not faced enough quality competition, he had Danault.

Maroon > Matthews, McDavid, Draisatl, Hellebuyck, Mack, etc... Got it!

Suzuki had the job of putting points because that's kind of how you win a hockey game.
I love Danault, he was incredible, I just think that he was the third most important player on the Habs during the playoffs, behind Suzuki and obviously, Jesus Price himself (who probably would have win the Conn Smythe if not for the two first games against Tampa)

Reactions: Xspyrit

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Only those people who continue to massively underrate O'Reilly.

Just stop. He barely played against O’Reilly. O’Reilly was mostly matched against Petty. If I remember correctly Horvat was getting matched against the Bozak line

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Just stop. He barely played against O’Reilly. O’Reilly was mostly matched against Petty. If I remember correctly Horvat was getting matched against the Bozak line

Just stop what? You're the one making assumptions and reading into my post, and I haven't made any comments about the Blues this thread. I don't care about the poll question, my point was about the repeated underrating of ROR who is a top 10 center in the league and would probably get the best of both Crosby and Matthews in a playoff series at this point. Dude had one of the best performances I've ever seen against the Canucks in a playoff series.

For the record though, Horvat played 40 min against ROR and 55 min away from him at 5v5 in that Blues series, though he got caved in in those minutes with a 29CF%

However, Suzuki only played 29:45 against Matthews 5v5 and 76:07 away from him. He also got caved in against Matthews with a 39CF%, 42SF%, 38xGF% with zero goals for and 1 goal against.

Similarly, Suzuki only played 19:42 against Crosby 5v5, and 37:16 away from him that series. He was once again caved in in terms of possession to the tune of a 40CF% and 44SF%, though he managed to hold his own with a 50% xGF%, and both his line and Crosby's managed to score once.

So Horvat played more minutes and a greater percentage of his minutes against ROR than Suzuki did against Matthews and Crosby, and Suzuki really wasn't better than them at all. Maybe you should just stop.

Reactions: JAK

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Just stop what? You're the one making assumptions and reading into my post, and I haven't made any comments about the Blues this thread. I don't care about the poll question, my point was about the repeated underrating of ROR who is a top 10 center in the league and would probably get the best of both Crosby and Matthews in a playoff series at this point. Dude had one of the best performances I've ever seen against the Canucks in a playoff series.

For the record though, Horvat played 40 min against ROR and 55 min away from him at 5v5 in that Blues series, though he got caved in in those minutes with a 29CF%

However, Suzuki only played 29:45 against Matthews 5v5 and 76:07 away from him. He also got caved in against Matthews with a 39CF%, 42SF%, 38xGF% with zero goals for and 1 goal against.

Similarly, Suzuki only played 19:42 against Crosby 5v5, and 37:16 away from him that series. He was once again caved in in terms of possession to the tune of a 40CF% and 44SF%, though he managed to hold his own with a 50% xGF%, and both his line and Crosby's managed to score once.

So Horvat played more minutes and a greater percentage of his minutes against ROR than Suzuki did against Matthews and Crosby, and Suzuki really wasn't better than them at all. Maybe you should just stop.

Advanced stats again?
Habs fans will respond with, Suzuki is younger!

When will this never ending loop end?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad