Suzuki vs Horvat

Who would you prefer on your team

• Total voters

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
He already did that but people are sleeping on Suzuki or going Horvat just because of name recognition.

Eh, not really. He had 2 more points this year, but it was a shortened season where he had a significant lull in the middle of the season and there's no telling what he would have ended up with in a full season. Horvat also paced for a couple more points the year before than Suzuki paced for this year and scored 1 more point than Suzuki paced for the year before that in a full season. Horvat's established himself already at the level of production Suzuki paced for this year. Seems likely Suzuki will continue or build on that production, but it's less established. He had a very good playoffs as well, but so did Horvat in the bubble. I would take Suzuki long term obviously due to their ages. Horvat's in the middle of his prime and Suzuki is just entering his, but it's pretty debatable who will be better just next season.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
2020-2021 stats for both players:

CF% :
Horvat: 48%
Suzuki: 52.9%

oZS%
Horvat: 41%
Suzuki: 56.4%

TOI
Horvat: 19:53
Suzuki: 18:11

PPG
Horvat: 0.69
Suzuki: 0.73

Even strength points
Horvat: 27
Suzuki: 26

Power play points:
Horvat: 11
Suzuki: 13

SH points:
Horvat: 1
Suzuki: 2

5 on 5 close points:
Horvat: 12
Suzuki: 15

5 on 5 tied points:
Horvat: 8
Suzuki: 9

Even Strength G/A per 60:
Horvat: 0.7G/60 — 1.1A/60 — 0.6 A1/60 — 0.5 A2/60 — 1.8 pts/60
Suzuki: 0.6G/60 — 1.2A/60 — 0.6 A1/60 — 0.6A2/60 — 1.9 pts/60

PP G/A per 60:
Horvat: 2.1G/60 — 1.2A/60 — 0 A1/60 — 1.2 A2/60 — 3.3 pts/60
Suzuki: 2.2G/60 — 3.5A/60 — 3.1 A1/60 — 0.4 A2/60 — 5.8 pts/60

FO%
Horvat: 52.9%
Suzuki: 44%

Suzuki: 21

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I’ll wait and see how Suzuki does without Danault taking most of the tough minutes. And how Horvat does now that for the first time in his career he has two bona fide top 6 linemates and a third line Center so he doesn’t have to play most of the tough minutes on the team.
In the end though I think it comes down to need as to which one you take. Suzuki is younger and has the potential to be the better offensive player by a bit imo. Horvat is the better defensive player and one of the top faceoff guys in the league.
If I’m a rebuilding team I’d take Suzuki. If I’m a team competing for a cup I’d take Horvat.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
I don’t know why you would compare the two players at the same age. Both were given radically different roles and opportunities during that time. The best way to compare is to project where Suzuki will be when he’s as far into his career as Horvat is. At that time I don’t doubt that Suzuki could be better. He’s got a lot of good things going for him and a good opportunity to achieve more than Horvat at the same age. Currently I think Horvat is better because he does more with less and with a more defensive responsibility, but would bet Suzuki accomplishes more by the time he’s Horvat’s age.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I don’t know why you would compare the two players at the same age. Both were given radically different roles and opportunities during that time. The best way to compare is to project where Suzuki will be when he’s as far into his career as Horvat is. At that time I don’t doubt that Suzuki could be better. He’s got a lot of good things going for him and a good opportunity to achieve more than Horvat at the same age. Currently I think Horvat is better because he does more with less and with a more defensive responsibility, but would bet Suzuki accomplishes more by the time he’s Horvat’s age.

I’m not. These were both players stats from the 2020-2021 season. That means Suzuki’s 21 years old season vs Horvat’s 25/26 years old season

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
I’m not. These were both players stats from the 2020-2021 season. That means Suzuki’s 21 years old season vs Horvat’s 25/26 years old season
Your using stats, raw at that, without context. Unless you know how to use analytics, including relative stats, quality, and then match them up with the eye test (ie does it confirm what you see on ice), it means you’ve got a rudimentary understanding of them. Also I wasn’t speaking directly to you but the general discussion in the thread of the age difference and what Suzuki accomplished earlier.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
What???

Personally I could care less about reg season performance. Once they make the playoffs and the games mean 1000% more.....then show me what you got.

Suzuki killed it 2 years in a row....so far
Horvat has 10 goals in 17 playoff games. The guy is a playoff warrior.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Suzuki has already had much better scoring wingers in his short career and he's not asked to be a shutdown center. This next season will tell a lot about Horvat. It will be the first time he's freed up from a shutdown role and have legit wingers over a full season, if everyone stays healthy of course.. Most people don't realize the crap that Horvat has put up with in his career. Forced into a shutdown role with bottom 6 wingers by a moron GM and coach.. He's never shown to be that type of player. He's an offensive center.

Last edited:

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Horvat right now
Suzuki in the future

Horvat is a Faceoff God, And was pretty ridiculous in the playoffs, He has been doing this with mostly poor wingers for his entire career.

Going to be interesting to see how he does this year with Garland on the same line as him

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Lawzy

May 27, 2011
BC
Your using stats, raw at that, without context. Unless you know how to use analytics, including relative stats, quality, and then match them up with the eye test (ie does it confirm what you see on ice), it means you’ve got a rudimentary understanding of them. Also I wasn’t speaking directly to you but the general discussion in the thread of the age difference and what Suzuki accomplished earlier.

Even if you take the stats he posted at face value, without context, they still indicate Horvat is the superior player right now. They put up near identical stats while Horvat takes tougher minutes, starts more often in the defensive zone, and is excellent on the draw both in terms of volume and win percentage. Suzuki does have marginally better possession stats but that shouldn't surprise anyone who watches the Canucks, they are one of the worst possession teams in the league.

I agree with much of what has been said already here, you take Horvat now and Suzuki moving forward. Based on trends, I would estimate as early as 2023-2024, you take Suzuki. Possibly earlier if Horvat stagnates but I have high hopes for Horvat now that he has competent linemates (no offense Pearson).

Jack Skellington

Sep 29, 2017
Suzuki just matched Horvats career playoff points in one run at 21 years old. Also led his team in scoring to the finals. Obviously it’s not entirely Horvats fault his team hasn’t been able to make the playoffs but Suzuki has proved himself on the biggest stage at a super early age which is usually a huge hurdle for young players. Look at Marner.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Suzuki just matched Horvats career playoff points in one run at 21 years old. Also led his team in scoring to the finals. Obviously it’s not entirely Horvats fault his team hasn’t been able to make the playoffs but Suzuki has proved himself on the biggest stage at a super early age which is usually a huge hurdle for young players. Look at Marner.
Horvat had 10 goals in 17 games in his only playoff run and was used as the shutdown center. I wouldn’t use playoff performance as a differentiator here.
Suzuki was younger but he had Danault doing the heavy lifting as shutdown Center.

Reactions: nucks88

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

It's interesting that you bring up Marner, because his overall playoff numbers are basically on par to what Suzuki did in the playoffs this year (slightly better PPG, better possession metrics, slightly less efficient 5v5). The reason Marner is considered a bad playoff performer is mostly due to expectations. Suzuki's performance was very good given his age, but he was on a 60 point pace with mediocre underlying numbers and another center was doing the heavy lifting defensively. He didn't show a level beyond what he or Horvat have done in the regular season, and Horvat's been quite good in the playoffs himself. The fact that he hasn't gone to the finals has little to do with the difference between him and Suzuki, so I'm not sure why that should hold much weight.

Jack Skellington

Sep 29, 2017
It's interesting that you bring up Marner, because his overall playoff numbers are basically on par to what Suzuki did in the playoffs this year (slightly better PPG, better possession metrics, slightly less efficient 5v5). The reason Marner is considered a bad playoff performer is mostly due to expectations. Suzuki's performance was very good given his age, but he was on a 60 point pace with mediocre underlying numbers and another center was doing the heavy lifting defensively. He didn't show a level beyond what he or Horvat have done in the regular season, and Horvat's been quite good in the playoffs himself. The fact that he hasn't gone to the finals has little to do with the difference between him and Suzuki, so I'm not sure why that should hold much weight.
Maybe because he led his team in scoring on the way to the finals.. kind of good. Also went up against Crosby and Malkin in his rookie season in the play ins and got the better of them. Don’t remember Marner even winning a ROUND in his career.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
Maybe because he led his team in scoring on the way to the finals.. kind of good. Also went up against Crosby and Malkin in his rookie season in the play ins and got the better of them. Don’t remember Marner even winning a ROUND in his career.
Horvat basically ran over the Stanley cup champs in the Blues vs Canucks series.

Just look up the goals he scored that series. They are insane.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xspyrit

Techcoockie

Feb 3, 2020
Mtl
Horvat basically ran over the Stanley cup champs in the Blues vs Canucks series.

Just look up the goals he scored that series. They are insane.
yes and Suzuki carried the 1c role vs Toronto, Winnipeg, Vegas.
Other think to bring up to diminish his value to make you feel better with Horvat ?

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

The point wasn't to compare Marner to Suzuki, the point was that Suzuki's performance relative to expectations (quite good), is causing people to wrongfully believe he was better than he was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->