• Nick

• Habs fan voting Nick

• Devils fan voting Nico

Results are only viewable after voting.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
That should be more closer... Hischier is a very very good two-way player, but playing with a very good team help his offensive numbers. Suzuki is the best producer on a not playoff team.

Suzuki is more offensive minded than Hischier... i would not be surprise if Suzuki can put 90 points per season with his two-way ability, that's rare. Hischier is great, but Suzuki looks like a superstar.
Hischier's most common linemates have been Tomas Tatar and Fabian Zetterlund.

Suzuki's most common linemates have been Cole Caufield and Kirby Dach....

Hischier has been the top producer on a top team in the league while shutting down the other team's top scorers. The team's other two top scorers (Bratt and Hughes) have the luxury of playing together. And still Hischier is outpacing them both.

Reactions: Hisch13r

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Suzuki has a very good shot, but Hischier has a very deceptive and accurate wrister as well.

There's 5 or 6 really nice shots in that package just from last year.

Surely you can see the difference in shot quality for both, no? Its alright, Nico doesn't need to be the best at everything.

Hischier's most common linemates have been Tomas Tatar and Fabian Zetterlund.

Suzuki's most common linemates have been Cole Caufield and Kirby Dach....

Hischier has been the top producer on a top team in the league while shutting down the other team's top scorers. The team's other two top scorers (Bratt and Hughes) have the luxury of playing together. And still Hischier is outpacing them both.
Youve been using numbers over career/last two seasons to compare both... surely you could do the same for their wingers to evaluate whos better?

For a guy that relies on numbers so hard you seem very selective with how you use them.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Suzuki is a career 12% shooter shooting 26% his offensive isn't nearly as sustainable as Hischier and he's far worse defensively.

This one isn't really close for me Hischier is better everywhere.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Suzuki is a career 12% shooter shooting 26% his offensive isn't nearly as sustainable as Hischier and he's far worse defensively.

This one isn't really close for me Hischier is better everywhere.
And yet Nick has a worse PDO than Nico, less A2, plays on the worst PP in the league and on one of the worst team in the league. Again offensively Nick is better, I dont think people should discuss that too much.

Nico always benefits from a 11 game heater for stats.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Surely you can see the difference in shot quality for both, no? Its alright, Nico doesn't need to be the best at everything.
I didn't say he was the best. Like I said Suzuki has a heavier shot but I like the deception in Nico's release. There's a reason that have similar shooting percentages

Youve been using numbers over career/last two seasons to compare both... surely you could do the same for their wingers to evaluate whos better?

For a guy that relies on numbers so hard you seem very selective with how you use them.
Well you said his numbers were boosted because he's on a great team, which wasn't the case last year. Last year both teams were very bad.

Over the last 2 years:

Hischier:
Bratt 482 mins
Zacha 478 mins
Tatar 473 mins

Suzuki
Caufield 832 mins
Anderson 388 mins
Hoffman 371 mins

Suzuki has had Caufield on his line nearly twice as much as he's had without him...

And yet Nick has a worse PDO than Nico, less A2, plays on the worst PP in the league and on one of the worst team in the league. Again offensively Nick is better, I dont think people should discuss that too much.

Nico always benefits from a 11 game heater for stats.
Suzuki has a 15.8% on ice sh%
Hischier's is at a much more reasonable (though still high) 11.5%

Hischier outpaced Suzuki last year and he's going to do it again this year as Suzuki regresses.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I didn't say he was the best. Like I said Suzuki has a heavier shot but I like the deception in Nico's release. There's a reason that have similar shooting percentages

Well you said his numbers were boosted because he's on a great team, which wasn't the case last year. Last year both teams were very bad.

Over the last 2 years:

Hischier:
Bratt 482 mins
Zacha 478 mins
Tatar 473 mins

Suzuki
Caufield 832 mins
Anderson 388 mins
Hoffman 371 mins

Suzuki has had Caufield on his line nearly twice as much as he's had without him...

Hischier's is at a much more reasonable (though still high) 11.5%
Suzuki is a better shooter, I want you to type it out.

Arent you on record saying Bratt is a top 10 player in the NHL?

Suzuki has Caufield, whos great himself, but you cant deny that before finding Dach, he had absolute shitbins as RWers.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Suzuki is a better shooter, I want you to type it out.

Arent you on record saying Bratt is a top 10 player in the NHL?

Suzuki has Caufield, whos great himself, but you cant deny that before finding Dach, he had absolute shitbins as RWers.
I don't think Suzuki is a better shooter. He has a heavier shot, but I think Hischier's is more deceptive. It's a coin toss - like I said there's a reason they have nearly identical shooting percentages.

Bratt is excellent. Unfortunately he's spent more time away from Hischier than with him.

Reactions: Hisch13r and Xirik

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I don't think Suzuki is a better shooter. He has a heavier shot, but I think Hischier's is more deceptive. It's a coin toss - like I said there's a reason they have nearly identical shooting percentages.

Bratt is excellent. Unfortunately he's spent more time away from Hischier than with him.

Okay Ill help you out...
Do you believe Nico could score 40 goals in the NHL?

Do you believe Malkin is a better shooter than Ovechkin? Their shooting percentage would make you think he is!

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Okay Ill help you out...
Why not? Since Feb of last year he has 23 goals 60 points in 52 games (36 goal 95 point pace), and he's done that mostly at ES. If he was given a full season with a playmaking winger like Bratt he could absolutely hit 40 in a career year.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Okay Ill help you out...

Do you believe Malkin is a better shooter than Ovechkin? Their shooting percentage would make you think he is!
Suzuki scored 21 last year, Do you believe Suzuki could score 40 goals just because he had a bad coach for a bit more then half a year?

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Okay Ill help you out...

Why would it matter if Nico can score 40, when Suzuki hasn’t been anywhere close?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Why would it matter if Nico can score 40, when Suzuki hasn’t been anywhere close?
Because Ive never seen him as having the ability to score 40, nor have probably anyone else before. Suzuki was always known as an elite shooter.

Suzuki scored 21 last year, Do you believe Suzuki could score 40 goals just because he had a bad coach for a bit more then half a year?
Yeah he can score 40 and maybe even 50 if he gets puck luck.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Suzuki has a very good shot, but Hischier has a very deceptive and accurate wrister as well.

There's 5 or 6 really nice shots in that package just from last year.

Suzuki's shot is deceptive and accurate as well.

Suzuki's shot looks noticeably better. Suzuki also seems to score a lot more goals from distance than Hischier.

Reactions: Mrb1p

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Hischier pretty easily here imo. I’m not sold on Suzuki keeping up the scoring rate until there’s a bigger sample size and Hischier is clearly better defensively.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
I mean it's the black on white that says Suzuki is the better shooter this season. Better sh% and more goals. Unless you're a neutral fan the eye test doesn't mean much since all fanbases are massively biased.
They have nearly identical career shooting percentages... And they are completely identical over the last 2 seasons, even though Hischier takes a few more shots.

Can't just rely on shooting percentage and goals to figure out who has the better shot between players. Not every player score the same way and not every player takes as many shot. Paul Byron is someone who always had a high shooting percentage. He didn't take many shots, but when he did they were from 5 feet of the net, and he often scored on those.

Last season, Matthews ranked 29th in shooting percentage among players who scored 20 goals or more.

1669659836587.png

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Can't just rely on shooting percentage and goals to figure out who has the better shot between players. Not every player score the same way and not every player takes as many shot. Paul Byron is someone who always had a high shooting percentage. He didn't take many shots, but when he did they were from 5 feet of the net, and he often scored on those.

Last season, Matthews ranked 29th in shooting percentage among players who scored 20 goals or more.

View attachment 613947
Matthews took over 300 shots... These are extremely small sample sizes.

For guys with >1000 shots since Matthews came into the league:
1669660510099.png

I don't disagree that guys score goals in different ways (some are volume shooters vs patient goal scorers vs one touch shooters etc), but the over time the league's best shooters tend to have the highest shooting percentages. PP situations also can impact this.

Over their careers at 5v5, Nico's sh% is 11.9% and Suzuki's is 10.0%, and Nico shoots the puck even more. 0.59 G/60 for Suzuki vs 0.85 G/60 for Hischier. I'm telling you, he has an extremely deceptive release that goalies have a hard time picking up.

Here are some good examples. 3 shots from the same spot all with ending up in different spots. Watch how he disguises his release, especially in the first two.

Last edited:
Reactions: RapidKnight

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Because Ive never seen him as having the ability to score 40, nor have probably anyone else before. Suzuki was always known as an elite shooter.

Ok, but Suzuki’s shot has so far translated into a roughly 20 goal scorer outside of a 20 game sample. Suzuki needs to show he can be close to a 40 goal scorer before you knock a guy in comparison for not having that ability. And saying he can score 50 is absurd

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
The disparity between the “homer votes” and the rest of the fanbases voting is hilarious

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012

I don’t know Hischier’s shot too well so not comparing, but just for the record Suzuki’s is a laser beam. There’s not too many guys in the NHL that can smoke goalies clean with wristers consistently, and he’s one of them. Very fast and accurate .

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I don’t know Hischier’s shot too well so not comparing, but just for the record Suzuki’s is a laser beam. There’s not too many guys in the NHL that can smoke goalies clean with wristers consistently, and he’s one of them. Very fast and accurate .
He absolutely has the heavier shot. No doubt there. And both guys are extremely accurate. Hischier doesn't have that sort of heavy release, but it's one of the most deceptive in the league.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Not really. There is no way he maintains a 26% shooting percentage lol.

Particularly based on his SH% every season, all leagues included

This is the NHL, most have incredible shots. I don't find Suzuki's shot that special, he has a very good accuracy and perfect timing though, which is what makes his shots on the PP dangerous.

Note : lol sorry I am quoting you a lot tonight

Last edited:
Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Which is why small sample sizes (yes 20 games is small) have to be taken with a grain of salt

Suzuki has a xGF of 19.62 but has been on the ice for 36 GF... that's absolutely batshit crazy

In comparison, only 2 Sens forwards have been on ice for more GF than their xGF : Pinto (18 vs 16.71), Norris (7 vs 6.48) and these 2 actually have incredible shots and played with talented players a lot

Only 3 on the Devils

Hischier 35 GF vs 29.7 xGF
Hughes 36 GF vs 35.55 xGF
Zetterlund 19 GF vs 13.92 xGF

As you can see, much more closer and sustainable

I have never seen/heard that anywhere.

You're talking about Caufield, right?

Last edited:
Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Kunta Kinte

Nov 10, 2011

I don't know man.

Suzuki scored 72 goals in his career so far in 262 games.
Hischier scored 89 goals in 327 games.

Thats the same f***ing pace. I'd surprised if Suzuki at his 327 games mark, won't have more than 89 goals scored. I can even make a real life money bet with you on that if you want that he will have more goal at same time in their pro career in game played. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad