Suzuki vs Hayton

Who would you rather have?

• Total voters

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
If THW says it, it must be true eh?

Even while Suzuki was still our prospect I was saying it was very unlikely that his game would translate in a center role in the NHL. Many Knights fans felt the same way and the Knights did too, hence why they were trying to put him on Glass' wing.

It's to the benefit of the Habs fanbase not to count on any expectations that Suzuki will be an NHL center. Vegas fans and coaching weren't. I don't see why being moved to a new team changes anything.

Reactions: Critical91

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
If THW says it, it must be true eh?

Even while Suzuki was still our prospect I was saying it was very unlikely that his game would translate in a center role in the NHL. Many Knights fans felt the same way and the Knights did too, hence why they were trying to put him on Glass' wing.

It's to the benefit of the Habs fanbase not to count on any expectations that Suzuki will be an NHL center. Vegas fans and coaching weren't. I don't see why being moved to a new team changes anything.

I shared the same opinion of him.

Regardless, great pick up for Montreal. Jealous! I would take Hayton over him but still.

Jeff Babchuk

Jan 15, 2010
within my bubble
HnscIas.jpg

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Looking at draft years

Suzuki 96 pts in 65 games
Hayton 60 pts in 63 games.

Hayton is better defensively (not by a ton), Suzuki is smaller and needs to work on his acceleration but his top speed is pretty good. I'll take Suzuki, remember most lists had hayton as 10-12 pre draft so removing the top 5 pick status of the draft I'll go Suzuki.

Brando

May 21, 2017
Suzuki is the better prospect but it's close. If Hayton played more minutes I think he'd put up closer to Suzuki numbers. I think he'll dominate the OHL this year.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Suzuki is the better prospect but it's close. If Hayton played more minutes I think he'd put up closer to Suzuki numbers. I think he'll dominate the OHL this year.
I dont think so, look at his Gx/60 compared to Suzuki and I cant find it, but his p60 is probably much lower.

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
Looking at draft years

Suzuki 96 pts in 65 games
Hayton 60 pts in 63 games.

Hayton is better defensively (not by a ton), Suzuki is smaller and needs to work on his acceleration but his top speed is pretty good. I'll take Suzuki, remember most lists had hayton as 10-12 pre draft so removing the top 5 pick status of the draft I'll go Suzuki.

Comparing D+1 seasons will be a lot more telling though. Suzuki barely improved on his numbers.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
This is a tough one. Really close.

I think Hayton has just a bit more likely "floor" to him, and is the much safer bet to project as an actual Center. If Suzuki can translate, he has some offensive instincts and creativity that i'm not sure Hayton can ever touch. But i'm really hesitant on whether he's actually going to be able to hold up in the middle, which can be a big value swing. Suzuki reminds me quite a bit of Bryan Little, who did eventually find his way to center ice and became a pretty good 2-way presence at a similar sort of size, with similar sort of mediocre skating. I think that glimmer of hope is enough to tip it toward Suzuki for me right now, but when all the chips are down, job on the line sort of thing, it'd be hard not to pull up shy and just go with the "safer" feeling guy in Hayton.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Getting 10% of the votes in a poll with 30 options and 150 voters compared to only getting 3% of the votes in said poll doesn't mean the majority of HF polls voters thought he was a better prospect head to head. It just means more voters felt very strongly that he was the best choice than for Suzuki. The difference between 33rd and 38th is likely small anyway.

Chuckled at "room to grow offensively."
Glad you had yourself a nice chuckle.

In the admittedly limited SSM games I caught last season, it seemed like Frost was getting more of the offensive opportunities and o-zone starts while Hayton had to carry the water a bit more defensively. I was more impressed by Hayton's all around game than I was by Frost in the playoffs, especially considering their respective ages. Hayden's defensive game is already solid, I think he has more to give offensively and will get a larger role in SSM's offense this year. Hayton is a strong candidate for a "breakout" year offensively IMO.

Fair point about the difference between 33rd and 38th likely being small. Still, I don't buy that Suzuki being recently traded to the habs did not impact the outcome of this poll.

I have no horse in this race...if this poll had been made before the trade, I would be still be voting Hayton. I find it hard to believe that if this poll had been made before the trade you'd be posting defending Suzuki (or that so many habs posters would be voting for him).

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Hayton's no longer buried in the Soo lineup. 2018-19 will be the season casual stat watchers join the Hayton bandwagon.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Glad you had yourself a nice chuckle.

In the admittedly limited SSM games I caught last season, it seemed like Frost was getting more of the offensive opportunities and o-zone starts while Hayton had to carry the water a bit more defensively. I was more impressed by Hayton's all around game than I was by Frost in the playoffs, especially considering their respective ages. Hayden's defensive game is already solid, I think he has more to give offensively and will get a larger role in SSM's offense this year. Hayton is a strong candidate for a "breakout" year offensively IMO.

Fair point about the difference between 33rd and 38th likely being small. Still, I don't buy that Suzuki being recently traded to the habs did not impact the outcome of this poll.

I have no horse in this race...if this poll had been made before the trade, I would be still be voting Hayton. I find it hard to believe that if this poll had been made before the trade you'd be posting defending Suzuki (or that so many habs posters would be voting for him).

I'm sure many Habs homers voted and clearly a handful of blanket Habs haters judging from the posters on the first page. The thread would have been shorter and less contentious if Suzuki hadn't been traded to the Habs. For my part, I would have voted the same way, but maybe not joined the argument.

Suzuki had a higher standing in his draft class to me at the time of his draft than Hayton. Hayton may have played on the second line behind Frost, but he also played on the first power play unit with Frost and co, scored a high percentage of his points on the PP, and played a decent chunk of time on Frost's wing. Suzuki scored 0.99 non-power play points per game in his draft season; Hayton scored 0.62. That's a massive gap that's impossible to explain through usage alone.

From an eye test perspective, I don't quite see Hayton's NHL scoring upside either. I see just an average skater with a good but not great shot and a guy who isn't exceptionally clever making plays for his teammates. He doesn't bully people physically in junior and he won't in the NHL. Nothing in his toolbox stands out to the point where I could be at all confident that he'll translate into above average offensively at the next level. Suzuki has better hands, better playmaking, and is both smarter offensively and just more consistent at using his offensive tools to score, rather than showing them in flashes. I also think he's actually fine defensively at the junior level, and the comparisons Hayton gets to Bergeron or other defensively elite NHL centers are ridiculous.

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
I'm sure many Habs homers voted and clearly a handful of blanket Habs haters judging from the posters on the first page. The thread would have been shorter and less contentious if Suzuki hadn't been traded to the Habs. For my part, I would have voted the same way, but maybe not joined the argument.

Suzuki had a higher standing in his draft class to me at the time of his draft than Hayton. Hayton may have played on the second line behind Frost, but he also played on the first power play unit with Frost and co, scored a high percentage of his points on the PP, and played a decent chunk of time on Frost's wing. Suzuki scored 0.99 non-power play points per game in his draft season; Hayton scored 0.62. That's a massive gap that's impossible to explain through usage alone.

From an eye test perspective, I don't quite see Hayton's NHL scoring upside either. I see just an average skater with a good but not great shot and a guy who isn't exceptionally clever making plays for his teammates. He doesn't bully people physically in junior and he won't in the NHL. Nothing in his toolbox stands out to the point where I could be at all confident that he'll translate into above average offensively at the next level. Suzuki has better hands, better playmaking, and is both smarter offensively and just more consistent at using his offensive tools to score, rather than showing them in flashes. I also think he's actually fine defensively at the junior level, and the comparisons Hayton gets to Bergeron or other defensively elite NHL centers are ridiculous.
Lol.
Sorry, you are wrong on so many fronts I can’t even list them. Of course you are welcome to have your opinion.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Lol.
Sorry, you are wrong on so many fronts I can’t even list them. Of course you are welcome to have your opinion.

You're welcome to prefer Hayton to Zadina and Kotkaniemi, too - as you apparently do. Most will see your SSM homerism for what it is.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Suzuki is all offense – great playmaking, an accurate shot, and high end IQ in the offensive zone. His skating is average and his defensive game isn't the best which project him as a winger in the NHL; this was backed up by the fact he was put on the wing most of this season with Hancock and McKenzie showing better capability of playing C.

Hayton on the other hand has skill at both ends of the ice but his bread and butter will always be his strong skating and work ethic. He has an innate understanding of where the puck is going next and how he's going to get it. His offensive game is coming and was held back in the role he played last season, where he was a defensive stalwart. I'm expecting a big season from the kid and could see him NHL ready by the end of it. He's also a bonafide Centre, knows the position like the back of his hand.

It's hard to lose hockey IQ, and Suzuki has it

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
I jave watched a lot of Suzuki, living in Owen Sound the last few years. Soke days he is unstoppable. Others, he is invisible. Seems like a good kid... but the answer here is Hayton.

Reactions: PuckLife

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad