Suzuki vs Hayton

Who would you rather have?

• Total voters

lawrence

May 19, 2012
the offensive difference is far too great right now to not consider Suzuki. Even if you just want to bring up draft years.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Suzuki for me. Like his game more than Hayton, but it's not a massive gap. I see higher end potential from the former.

DieTomi

Auston "50 Goals" Matthews
Aug 4, 2017
Hamilton
Suzuki is all offense – great playmaking, an accurate shot, and high end IQ in the offensive zone. His skating is average and his defensive game isn't the best which project him as a winger in the NHL; this was backed up by the fact he was put on the wing most of this season with Hancock and McKenzie showing better capability of playing C.

Hayton on the other hand has skill at both ends of the ice but his bread and butter will always be his strong skating and work ethic. He has an innate understanding of where the puck is going next and how he's going to get it. His offensive game is coming and was held back in the role he played last season, where he was a defensive stalwart. I'm expecting a big season from the kid and could see him NHL ready by the end of it. He's also a bonafide Centre, knows the position like the back of his hand.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Suzuki is good defensively. He just is small and still needs to improve his skating. It would be harder to teach Hayton Suzuki's offensive skills.

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
and impossible to teach Suzuki to be 6'1.

Is 6'1" supposed to be impressive or guarantee physical dominance in the NHL? Fans hilariously exaggerate the importance of the 6 foot mark in this sport. Hayton is 3% taller than Suzuki. I don't care. Strength and skating are far easier to improve than offensive instincts. If Suzuki can continue to hone his skating, he'll be an impact player in the NHL.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Lol if this was asked before Suzuki was a hab the poll would be 95% Barret, sorry for hayten
Yup, so true.

Just a couple weeks ago, HF boards voted Hayton 33rd best prospect and Suzuki 38th. What's changed since then? Hmmm I wonder... :eyeroll:

There is not a whole lot separating the two, but I'll take the legit C w/ size and room to grow offensively pretty easily here.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Yup, so true.

Just a couple weeks ago, HF boards voted Hayton 33rd best prospect and Suzuki 38th. What's changed since then? Hmmm I wonder... :eyeroll:

There is not a whole lot separating the two, but I'll take the legit C w/ size and room to grow offensively pretty easily here.

Getting 10% of the votes in a poll with 30 options and 150 voters compared to only getting 3% of the votes in said poll doesn't mean the majority of HF polls voters thought he was a better prospect head to head. It just means more voters felt very strongly that he was the best choice than for Suzuki. The difference between 33rd and 38th is likely small anyway.

Chuckled at "room to grow offensively."

Last edited:

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
Getting 10% of the votes in a poll with 30 options and 150 voters compared to only getting 3% of the votes in said poll doesn't mean the majority of HF polls voters thought he was a better prospect head to head. It just means more voters felt very strongly that he was the best choice than for Suzuki. The difference between 33rd and 38th is likely small anyway.

Chuckled at "room to grow offensively."
Tons of room to grow offensively!

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Suzuki is all offense – great playmaking, an accurate shot, and high end IQ in the offensive zone. His skating is average and his defensive game isn't the best which project him as a winger in the NHL; this was backed up by the fact he was put on the wing most of this season with Hancock and McKenzie showing better capability of playing C.

Hayton on the other hand has skill at both ends of the ice but his bread and butter will always be his strong skating and work ethic. He has an innate understanding of where the puck is going next and how he's going to get it. His offensive game is coming and was held back in the role he played last season, where he was a defensive stalwart. I'm expecting a big season from the kid and could see him NHL ready by the end of it. He's also a bonafide Centre, knows the position like the back of his hand.
Project him as a winger in the NHL; Read and learn.
https://thehockeywriters.com/montreal-canadiens-nick-suzuki-prospect/

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad