Confirmed with Link: Suter suspended 2 games

Status
Not open for further replies.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Pretty good rationale for being careful with the minutes of such a player, yeah?

There's also an ego there that's already got to be on edge that might make things more difficult if you bruise it. Like when a lot of people were complaining about Gaborik floating and wanting Jacques to bench him. Don't really want Suter to feel insulted--it's where the paycheck comes in and you can't help but think you know better than the coach.

yeah, okay. reduce his minutes. like i said, i agree, but it's not as simple a thing as you all make it out to be. it's political on a level.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
We're not talking about dropping him below 20 or anything, but being in the 26-27 range can make quite the difference. The political part of this is taking him off of the power play.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
it just doesn't work as smoothly as it would for anyone else...even a guy like Parise. Because all anyone friggin talks about is the number of Suter's minutes per game then they'd be talking about them being reduced--and i mean using that as a talking point throughout a game and in the media--and that would probably fuel the resentment. it'll be a public issue.

IIRC Ovechkin was slapped for an overall work ethic issue, not just performance. That team was notoriously lax and the new guy was kicking chairs out from under sleepers.

Sarge58

Jan 25, 2014
It looked pretty vicious for me. Can you imagine the reaction here if someone did that to Granlund or Brodin?

I think a roughly similar comparison might be that instead of Suter elbowing Downie that it was Crosby who elbowed Stu Bickel it wouldn't get me overly upset. Now if Downie elbowed either Brodin or Granny then I'd be pissed. I think that's what you mean by the post.

cutfast

Jun 2, 2008
East Grand Forks, MN
If Trotz has balls to do it to Ovechkin, Yeo should be able to do it to Suter.

Difference between Trotz and Yeo is Trotz is the dude of dudes. A man of men. Yeo is still trying to figure out puberty in comparison.

Do not get me wrong, I agree with you but I genuinely think Yeo is not cut to be an NHL coach. GREAT for developing talent, but absolutely terrible when it comes to using the talent and coaching that talent.

Trotz and Yeo are in different leagues.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
Whatever. Don't really give a **** about this NHL DoPS **** decisions. Everyone knows they are a corrupted joke.

Billy Mays Here*

Whatever. Don't really give a **** about this NHL DoPS **** decisions. Everyone knows they are a corrupted joke.

Are you implying you're pissed that Suter WAS suspended or are you upset that the suspension wasn't long enough? Hopefully not the former because that elbow was definitely worthy of Suter sitting out for at least a few games.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
Are you implying you're pissed that Suter WAS suspended or are you upset that the suspension wasn't long enough? Hopefully not the former because that elbow was definitely worthy of Suter sitting out for at least a few games.

I'm saying that I've seen a lot worse incidents handled with no games / fine. But whatever, not like I can affect the decision in any way. I'll gladly take all the **** I can.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
First time offender for the Wild, two games. Easy call. First time offender for any other team, a fine/warning. Elbow didn't look like intent to injure to me.

I agree, but it's a Wild player so gotta give some games.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
First time offender for the Wild, two games. Easy call. First time offender for any other team, a fine/warning. Elbow didn't look like intent to injure to me.

I'm not mad that Suter got suspended because he should have been suspended. But I'm pissed guys like Benn and Kreider can go around injuring or recklessly hitting someone and not getting fined or suspended or even talked to!

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
That was opening night vs Columbus a few years ago right?

Don't know if it was opening night, but yeah, against CBJ. Forgot who, but the Jacket's player tried to lift Butch's stick right out of the faceoff and lifted it into his own face. Butch gets suspended.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
I wanna say....it was like Derek Dorsett or something.

Edit: Damn

NEW YORK -- Minnesota Wild forward Pierre-Marc Bouchard has been suspended, without pay, for two games for a high-stick to the face of Columbus forward Matt Calvert during NHL Game #16 on October 8, the National Hockey League’s Department of Player Safety announced today.

Under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, and based on his average annual salary, Bouchard will forfeit $44,108.10. The money goes to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.

At 18:54 of the second period, Bouchard hit Calvert in the face with his stick, injuring the Columbus player in the process. Bouchard was assessed a double-minor penalty for high sticking.

Bouchard will miss games Oct. 10 at NY Islanders and Oct. 11 at Ottawa. He will be eligible to return Oct. 13 vs. Edmonton.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
maybe Suter feels he needs a few suspensions under his belt in order to qualify for a League job after his player gig is up? thinking ahead. smart man.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
I think that time is coming...

Reason why he succeeded so much and was on Nashville's #1 PP unit was cause he was able to tee it up for Weber's cannon....doesn't have anyone he can pass to like that on the blue line. Maybe Dumba in the future perhaps? For now, I'd rest him.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
I think that time is coming...

Reason why he succeeded so much and was on Nashville's #1 PP unit was cause he was able to tee it up for Weber's cannon....doesn't have anyone he can pass to like that on the blue line. Maybe Dumba in the future perhaps? For now, I'd rest him.

My first real look at Suter was in the 2010 Olympics when he was on the top pairing with Brian Rafalski. Rafalski was the offensive stud on that blueline because he was the shooter, but Suter just looked so comfortable in that role as the guy who dishes to the shooter. That stretch of games made me want Suter on this team, and I think to really make him more offensively potent, we need to pair him with a guy like Rafalski. Dumba could be that guy, but I also thought Spurgeon could've looked good next to Suter and we've seen some pretty mixed results there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad