Friedman: Suter close to deciding, Boston, Colorado, Dallas, Florida, Islanders interested

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
why is Colorado in the running, let alone a favorite?
Girard, Toews and Byram on the left side.

All three of those guys played on the right at various points last season.

The Avs being, apparently, so hard after Suter makes me think EJ may not be 100% at the start of next season.

Apparently the Avs were hoping to get a shot at Oleksiak as well. They clearly don’t care too much about handedness if they like the player.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Suter with McAvoy would be an absolute dream
It would work. MacAvoy looks different, but his game isn't that different than Spurgeon's. Suter just has to get it through his head that he isn't the Alpha any more.

Reactions: Blinny

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
I donno maybe because they took the 2019 Stanley Cup champs to game 7, 2OT, and were regarded by St. Louis fans as the toughest out.

Then, they made the Cup Finals the following season.

So, maybe he thinks they have a shot of winning a cup?

Crazy.
No Corey Perry or Pat Maroon, they don't have a chance.

Reactions: Nihiliste

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
For anyone curious on the logistical details:

Suter is a UFA after being bought out by Minnesota. Meaning he's free to talk to any team about possible contracts right now--unlike the other pending UFA's still under contract who aren't allowed to contact other teams.

Suter can't actually sign a contract with any team until the 2021-22 season begins on July 28th. Same as the pending UFA's.

SECRET SQUIRREL

Jan 17, 2007
Clarence
I remember seeing something about he and Parise both considering going to the Islanders, was that a one off thing or are they both looking to continue playing together, wherever that may be?

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I remember seeing something about he and Parise both considering going to the Islanders, was that a one off thing or are they both looking to continue playing together, wherever that may be?
There was an interview where Parise was asked if he and Suter were still a package deal, and he mentioned they talked about it, but he didn't give a definitive yes or no. Reading between the lines it sounded like "we might still do that if a good situation arises, but still have to do what's best for our families". The Islander stuff was just more assumptions because of the ties with LL and of course his father's old stomping ground. So it's more dots connected (like any rumors) and people trying to act smart because they think they can draw assumptions from facts, but they are still assumptions.

Personally, if we have to sign Parise to get Suter...okay no problem. If we are just in on Parise...meh....might as well be Marleau...league minimum vet isn't going to get me excited.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
So? Suter's gonna get like 1m.

Doubtful. Depends on how picky he wants to be with his destination but interest is high and this isn’t Gio or Keith we are talking about. Suter still led a blueline that also has Brodin, Spurgeon and Dumba on it in TOI in the playoffs just a few months ago at over 24 minutes per game. I’m not saying that this is his best usage moving forward but this is not just a “old vet you are hoping to squeeze some top 4 minutes and leadership out of before he retires” situation. Suter’s not a veteran charity case, he’s going to expect top minutes and a top role. Some of these teams have cap issues so it’ll come down to where he wants to play but there will be money out there for him if that’s what he prioritizes.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
As an Islanders fan it's still feels surreal that high-profile players seriously considering choosing the Islanders is now... normal. The journey the organization has been on since Nabokov and Visnovsky decided that it was, actually, a good place to be to now has been long, and obviously accelerated by LL and BT. There is a certain symmetry between high-profile players from the 2003 draft considering the Islanders while Mike Milbury is complaining about being fired from his NBC job. Mike Milbury botched that draft, badly. And then LL captalized by trading up to take Parise. (In retrospect, Snow - even with his obvious failures - was a huge improvement over Milbury.) Now Parise seems likely to end his career with NYI. And maybe we'll get Suter, too, for one run at the cup. It'd be something.

Reactions: BKarchitect

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
I wouldn't call it "close to deciding" if there's still 5 teams in the mix.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
There is no better situation for him than making a Cup run with the coach who made him what he is, in a brand new arena, for an organization in full win-now mode. Perhaps even with his buyout buddy alongside.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I just hope that the reports about him being spiteful and wanting to stick it to the Wild are true.

Because otherwise there is probably little chance he ends up on the Avs. But if he really wants to get back at Guerin, there would be no better way than signing with us.

Reactions: BKarchitect

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
I think Suter should give Detroit a chance for a year, play with Seider and raise his marketvalue again ;)
Detroit needs a good friend of a Valtteri Filppula to help mentor the youth, not another defenseman after picking up Nick Leddy. Leo Komarov for a 5th would get it done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad