Suspension for retired player

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
What if lets say it's game 7 of the Stanley cup finals and Patrick Marleau delivered a head shot and got suspended for a few games, but he decided to retire after his season finished ?? What would happen

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Wouldnt really be a problem because if he doesnt have a job in the nhl, how can they suspend him? Or they can suspend him but he wouldnt have a contract so it wouldnt matter..

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
He obviously couldn't be suspended, but I suppose in theory he could be fined.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Jamie McLennan retired with four games left on his suspension for slashing Johan Franzen in the 2007 playoffs.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
I'd imagine they'd announce it anyways for consistency, but nothing would really happen.

Unless they plan to kidnapping Marleau for the time he would've spent being suspended or something.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
What if lets say it's game 7 of the Stanley cup finals and Patrick Marleau delivered a head shot and got suspended for a few games, but he decided to retire after his season finished ?? What would happen

I think the CBA says he has to become the guy he hit's butler, but its been a while since I read it.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I assume there's a way the NHL can "keep" the player's salary that was to be put into the Players Safety Fund (or whatever), because the players are actually paid from Jul 1st to Jun 30th.

But yeah, a games-based penalty for a guy who won't play anymore is about as useful as suspending the driver's licence of a 8 year old kid.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
He'd be forced to come back the next season and play the length of the suspension for (insert team everyone thinks sucks here).

SavesEmNot

Jul 2, 2012
He would be forced to sit in the press box for the duration of the suspension, as a symbolic gesture.

DuckEatinShark

GET ALL THE PPs!!!!
Jul 20, 2009
San Jose
At worst they ask the player to forfeit some of his salary. Most likely though, nothing happens.

For example, if a player retires with 2 games left in his suspension, they might make him pay 2 games worth of salary (because NHL loves $$$). That's about all I can think of though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad