Surprisingly high picks? a look back.

Sens With Benefits

Feb 4, 2010
Canada
I was reading the hockey news and totally forgot Chris Phillips was a number 1 pick. Not that he was a bust by any means, but it's just surprising. Maybe because we've been spoiled recently with the drafts, but he also in my opinion the best player available besides Briere, even though Kaberle was selected late, he was a surprise as well. Any other picks you look back on and think wow, how did this guy go this high? or was the draft that bad? Another example is Wade Belak 12th overall.. lol?

PsychoDad

Apr 20, 2007
Berlin
I was reading the hockey news and totally forgot Chris Phillips was a number 1 pick. Not that he was a bust by any means, but it's just surprising. Maybe because we've been spoiled recently with the drafts, but he also in my opinion the best player available besides Briere, even though Kaberle was selected late, he was a surprise as well. Any other picks you look back on and think wow, how did this guy go this high? or was the draft that bad? Another example is Wade Belak 12th overall.. lol?

There was this Chara guy.. I heard he used to be good too.

FiveForDrawingBlood

May 25, 2010

First round in that draft was rated weaker than most drafts.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
god, this thread could be a "Carolina Hurricanes 1997-2001 draft picks 'greatest hits' collection"

1997: Nikos Tselios (22) - 2GP, 0G, 0A, 0PTS, -2, 6PIMS
still available: Scott Hannan (23) - 810GP, 30G, 152A, 182PTS, +19, 747PIMS
Brenden Morrow (25) - 727GP, 218G, 257A, 475PTS, +106, 1068PIMS
Biggest bust from that year: Daniel Tkaczuk (6)

1998: Jeff Heerema (11) - 32GP, 4G, 2A, 6PTS, -7, 6PIMS
still available: Alex Tanguay (12) - 798GP, 219G, 444PTS, 663PTS, +154, 399PIMS
Martin Skoula (17), Dmitri Kalinin (18), Robin Regehr (19)
biggest bust from that year: Jeff Heerema (11)

but at least they got Erik Cole and Josef Vasicek out of that disaster.

1999: David Tanabe (16) - 449GP, 30G, 84A, 114PTS, -47, 245PIMS - ZOMG NOT A BUST
still available: Martin Havlat (26)
biggest bust that year: Pavel Brendl (4), though Patrik Stefan (1) made a damn good case despite playing over 400 games

2000: no first rounder
biggest bust that year: Lars Jonsson (8)

2001: Igor Knyazev (15) - never even made the NHL
still available: RJ Umberger (16), Carlo Colaiacovo (17), Shaone Morrisonn (19), Colby Armstrong (21) Tim Gleason (23)
biggest bust that year: Alexander Svitov (3)

thank god they haven't had any ****ups of such proportions since then. Even Paradis is likely to end up better then these sad sacks (aside from Tanabe).

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
David Fischer wasn't ranked in the 1st round but the Habs wanted him for some reason. :squint:

On the bright side, the 2nd we got as compensation for not signing him turned into Wisniewski. If the Habs manage to re-sign him to a reasonable contract all might not be lost.

hotcarle

Jul 10, 2009
vd, qc, ca
Thomas Hickey at 4 in 07, instead of 20something
Riley Nash at 21 in 07, instead of 3rd round
Sasha Pokulok at 14 in 05, instead of 3rd round

The three that came to mind.

Last edited:

birddog*

Thomas Hickey - drafted 4th overall - way off the board. People were wondering if L.A. knew something they didn't. Guess not.

Gonna say Jeff Skinner. Carolina reached for this guy and drafted him above his rated position. Seems they knew something others didn't.

Blake Wheeler went 5th and was not rated nearly that high in pre-draft rankings.

Rick Dipietro - only because the Isles traded Luongo at the draft and picked Dipietro instead of Heatley. Not the first dumb thing Milbury ever did. FYI, he traded Luongo and Oli Jokinen for Kavasha and Mark Parrish. Kavasha, Parrich and Dipietro vs Luongo, Jokinen, and Heatley. hmmmm....

Milbury also traded the second overall pick and Chara to the Sens for Yashin. The Sens drafted Spezza. That was a surprise becuase nobody could believe how stupid Milbury was.

Brent Krahn 9th overall was a huge reach and flop for Calgary.

Nik Antropov was a surprise at 10th overall and completely off the map but worked out well based on other players available. Antropov did have multiple knee surgeries in his first couple years.

JP Dumont was a surprise at 3rd overall - Isles went way off the board - but he worked out well. Not for the Island or Buffalo but finally in Nashville.

The absolute best was the 1995 draft in Edmonton - fans were chanting Doan! Doan! Doan! Doan! and Edmonton boy who played junior nearby and lit it up. Glen Sather drafted Steve Kelley 6th overall in defiance of the fans. In the interview asking why he hadn't drafted Shane Doan - Sather said we'll see who the better player is in a few years. Yep Glen we'll see.

Peter Sykora was ranked #1 overall in some mid-season polls and slid all the way to the middle of the first round. Everyone and their Mom thought CLiff Fletcher was going to draft him but instead Cliff Fletcher went way off the board to draft Jeff Ware. His explanation was that he had NHL mobility right now. The Leafs tried Ware in the NHL the very next year - he lasted less than a year and was never seen again. Sykora won a cup in NJ part of the Elias, Arnott, Sykora trio.

Pavel Bure was a surprise late round pick - 8th round I believe - all the teams thought he was ineligible and complained vehemently to no avail.

In 1989 the Leafs had three picks in the same round - they drafted three guys all from the same junior team the Bellville Bulls. Apparently they had a limited scouting budget. Gord Stellick - go figure.

xavi4life

Mr. Irreverent
Jun 30, 2007
Los Angeles
From recent Kings picks (other than Thomas Hickey):

Trevor Lewis in 2006 was drafted 17th overall.
Colton Teubert in 2008 at 13th overall.

All 3 on Lombardi's watch.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Ok I have a question, not really related to this topic but why was Danny Heatley not taken in the 1999 draft? He is a complete year older than other guys taken in the 2000 draft like Gaborik who is Feb 82' and heatley is born in Jan 81', and he was taken 2nd overall? I know guys can be passed over and drafted a year later but ive never heard of anyone going that high after being passed over, is there a reason for this?

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I'm pretty sure Michael Grabner was ranked in the second or third round, but the Canucks took him at 14. Looking like a good selection.

I believe the Sens reached for Lee and took him at 9 in 2005. Don't think that was a great pick..

Jesse Niinimaki by the Oilers was pretty terrible.

Thomas Hickey at 4? Was ranked in the mid 20's.

Teemu Riihijivari (12) by San Jose in 1995 was a disaster of a selection. He never played a professional game in NA..

Wasn't Marcel Goc going at 20 a stretch? Not a bad pick though.

zeus3007*

Jesse Niinimäki

/thread

I'm an Oiler fan. Niinimaki was one of a long line of first round crappers. I'm sure for a few years, if someone was drafted in the first round by the Oilers, they would contemplate retirement. They must have known that was the first sign of a bust.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Ok I have a question, not really related to this topic but why was Danny Heatley not taken in the 1999 draft? He is a complete year older than other guys taken in the 2000 draft like Gaborik who is Feb 82' and heatley is born in Jan 81', and he was taken 2nd overall? I know guys can be passed over and drafted a year later but ive never heard of anyone going that high after being passed over, is there a reason for this?

Wow, never noticed that. I wonder why that happened, he had good junior stats and everything..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad