Surprisingly high picks? a look back.

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Nov 12, 2005
ON
Adrian Foster 2001 draft by the Devils. If I remember correctly he wasn't ranked at all?

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Adrian Foster 2001 draft by the Devils. If I remember correctly he wasn't ranked at all?

Yup. As detailed by Gare Joyce in his prospect book, the Devils weren't enthusiastic about anybody else at that point. So they decided to take a home run swing on Foster, knowing that if it didn't pan out that they'd get the 58th pick of the 2003 Draft as compensation. But they did end up signing him and he had a handful of AHL seasons before heading to Europe.

Still a bizarre pick, I remember TSN coming back from commercial and Gord Miller basically telling the audience "We have no idea what's the deal with New Jersey's pick." Almost want to say that they cracked a joke about them taking somebody who was ineligible or whether the prospect was in the bathroom.

2 Late 2 Anton

Feb 21, 2008
loudceilingfans.com
In 2007, Alex Plante was taken 15th overall by the Oilers.

I'm a fan of the Brandon Wheat Kings, so I knew about Tyler Plante, and had been keeping track of his career. When I saw his brother was eligible for draft, I kept tabs on him, too. Alex was expected to go in the second or third round, but the Oilers snagged him at 15th.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Jiri Tlusty.......

We could have had Stewart :facepalm:

I remember that draft, that's a hindsight pick and not really valid to the discussion. If the Leafs GM had skipped Tlusty the Leaf fanbase around here would have been pissed. There were 12 prospects that draft considered to be a step above the rest, and with LA going off the board to pick a goalie (Bernier) the Leafs were more than happy to take the last remaining quality guy in Tlusty. After that the draft was considered a crapshoot, Canucks had the next pick of course and with the field wide open took Grabner... although Stewart was considered the safe pick but had questions about his upside.

For the thread topic as many people have pointed out already the guys to talk about are players like Hickey, Wheeler, and Morris (didn't know about him). Unexpected high picks that raise everyones eyebrows whenn they're made.

On the other side you could talk about highly regarded prospects that plummeted on draft day. Like Fowler, Esposito, Cherepanov. I'm not really familiar with any players like this from the 90's though.

SaintTavares

Jul 8, 2009
Brooklyn
Oh, and in 5 years, I'm sure people will be saying "The Rangers took McIlrath over Fowler, lolz". Heck, some are saying it already.

They're two different types of players. At first i thought it was a horrible pick too, and a great chance to rag on the rags, but the more i thought about it, the more it looked like a pretty good pick. Yea, Fowler is playing good this year, and may be a stud for years to come, but McIlrath can be a physical, intimidating, shut down d-men that isn't always so easy to find.

Qvist

Apr 14, 2009
I was reading the hockey news and totally forgot Chris Phillips was a number 1 pick. Not that he was a bust by any means, but it's just surprising. Maybe because we've been spoiled recently with the drafts, but he also in my opinion the best player available besides Briere, even though Kaberle was selected late, he was a surprise as well. Any other picks you look back on and think wow, how did this guy go this high? or was the draft that bad? Another example is Wade Belak 12th overall.. lol?

Phillips as No 1 was not remotely surprising. Anyone else at no 1 would have been surprising. He was the consensus number 1 pick that year.

Qvist

Apr 14, 2009
There was a period in the mid to late 90's to about 2004 where the drafts weren't very good.

The fault was on Canada's lack of development. They had fallen behind in young player development. To combat this Canada instituted their program of excellence starting with kids very young.

I'm not saying it was the full problem but as back then a majority of players drafted were canadian (and still are) it led to some pretty bad drafts.

It was also around this time that more american kids started getting drafted (around 2004). In the states hockey is still very much a rich kid's sport, but I think with Gretzky going to the kings, ~15 years later you started to see more US kids being drafted. This also helped improve the quality of draft.

More americans started getting drafted (again) because the USHL and NTDP greatly improved the US development system. There was also a greater number of european players drafted in that decade than there are today. In fact, I believe the european percentage has dropped more than the canadian.

I would argue some blame also attaches to the NHL in that period. With the brand of hockey being played during that period, it wasn't an easy situation for young talent to develop a skilled game.

Qvist

Apr 14, 2009
i know he hasn't played yet but Jake Gardiner wasn't even ranked in the 1st round and he was taken like 18th, (just looking back at mock drafts)

Gardiner wasn't really that much of a surprise, he was definitely a player thought to have a good chance of moving up into the first and a late riser.

Qvist

Apr 14, 2009
From recent Kings picks (other than Thomas Hickey):

Trevor Lewis in 2006 was drafted 17th overall.
Colton Teubert in 2008 at 13th overall.

All 3 on Lombardi's watch.

Lewis was a bit of a surprise, but Teubert wasn't. Hickey certainly was a big surprise for us fans, but it was an unpredictable draft - and it's common knowledge there were other teams who would have taken him high as well.

asmodeanreborn

Jun 14, 2010
Longmont, CO
As much as I loved him as a player: Scott Parker at #20 in the 1998 draft. He was also drafted in the '96 one by Devils.
Flyers drafted Gagne at #22.

Sens With Benefits

Feb 4, 2010
Canada
Phillips as No 1 was not remotely surprising. Anyone else at no 1 would have been surprising. He was the consensus number 1 pick that year.

I was like 7 or 8 when that happened, so I was just wondering what others thought haha. On another note, players like Skinner were taken surprisingly high, yet turned out to be better than expected and deserving of that pick.

Haute Couturier

Feb 28, 2007
Philadelphia
From recent Kings picks (other than Thomas Hickey):

Trevor Lewis in 2006 was drafted 17th overall.
Colton Teubert in 2008 at 13th overall.

All 3 on Lombardi's watch.

McKenzie had Lewis ranked 21st so I am not sure that was a real surprise. I know the Flyers had him ahead of Giroux who they picked at 22.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
In 2007, Alex Plante was taken 15th overall by the Oilers.

I'm a fan of the Brandon Wheat Kings, so I knew about Tyler Plante, and had been keeping track of his career. When I saw his brother was eligible for draft, I kept tabs on him, too. Alex was expected to go in the second or third round, but the Oilers snagged him at 15th.

IIRC wasn't Plante a bit of a late riser in the draft? I think around the midterm he wasn't even close to on the radar for the first round but by the draft he was in a lot of top 30s. Probably should have been a late first or early 2nd, but doubt he would have got to the 3rd.

Lazarrr

Apr 10, 2010
Ottawa
Joey Hishon last year was also a surprise. Ranked by most to get drafted in the secound round. Good pick by the Avs.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Ok I have a question, not really related to this topic but why was Danny Heatley not taken in the 1999 draft? He is a complete year older than other guys taken in the 2000 draft like Gaborik who is Feb 82' and heatley is born in Jan 81', and he was taken 2nd overall? I know guys can be passed over and drafted a year later but ive never heard of anyone going that high after being passed over, is there a reason for this?

He didn't enter the draft the first year he was eligible. He would have been drafted in a similar, although slightly lower position if he entered his first year eligible. Probably behind the Sedins from what I've heard. Definitely top 5. I feel like the Rangers would have been happy with him over Brendl... Yikes.

As for the topic:

Carey Price at 5
Blake Wheeler at 5
Brian Lee at 9
David Fischer is a very interesting one. Apparently several teams had him in the upper half of the first round, whereas a similar amount of teams didn't have him getting picked at all. Montreal picked him 24th IIRC, and probably had him higher, but some teams would not have picked him if they have the last overall pick in the draft. That one really fascinated me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->