News Article: Surprise, Ed Snider excited for Flyers' upcoming season

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Surprised Ed has forgotton about the millions in buyouts him and Comcast shelled out...:sarcasm:

“I’m excited, because we’re starting a new season, and it’s going to be a great season,” Snider said. “I think that picking up three outstanding players (Vincent Lecavalier, Mark Streit and Ray Emery) and giving up nothing was a tremendous coup for us.

“We already felt that we had a pretty good team, and now I feel that we have a much better team. I’m really very excited about the season.”

Well this was obvious despite the denials by Bryz supporters...

Snider said, “I think that last year was a fluke. It was the kind of season where anything that could go wrong went wrong.”

That apparently includes wrongdoing in the locker room, according to Snider.

“We didn’t have a great rapport among all our players,” he said. “You see the camaraderie now; you can feel it and see it. I think we’re in for really wonderful things this year.”

Unless Danny Briere, one of the most popular players in the league, was a different guy behind closed doors — and that isn’t the case at all — Snider was obviously targeting a locker room distraction named Ilya Bryzgalov.

That it cost his organization some $22.5 million just to get the goofy goalie to walk away (all the way to Haddonfield, N.J., where Bryzgalov and his family still live, since he hasn’t been tendered a contract by any other team as yet) wasn’t an easy pill to swallow.

Not sure this is a prudent statement but then again as they say what is he gonna say...

We'll see how it plays out but a slow start in this competitive conference and with the new playoff seeding may have Snider eating his words once again. Let's hope for the best. I do think the chemistry will be better and the product but it will be tough to make the playoffs IMO..

You know, we’re always optimistic about the team, and I always go into the season with high hopes,” Snider added. “But I’d say I’m at another level this year.”

Of course, if it all comes crashing down again, it would be easy for the critics to guess that heads would roll in the front office and coach’s rooms. But Snider, optimism flowing on this September day, wouldn’t entertain any such speculation.

Referring to Paul Holmgren and Peter Laviolette, Snider said, “They’re not on the hot seat this year. Not at all.”

http://www.thereporteronline.com/sports/20130914/ed-snider-excited-for-flyers-upcoming-season

SEE ALSO: Snider looks to this Flyers season with optimism

http://articles.philly.com/2013-09-15/sports/42083476_1_hot-seat-ilya-bryzgalov-mark-streit

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Doesn't matter. You could dig up every pre-season interview with Big Ed, and have it be essentially the same thing aside from a few words or names thrown around.

JustJim

Feb 20, 2012
Paignton,UK
Perhaps old Eddie is suffering from dementia, it happens to people his age. He does say the same things each year. To put confidence into Paul Holmgren's ability to manage his team is an indication that Snider's mind is slipping a bit.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Snider's favorite soup is alphabet soup....

I hope he is fasting..he is going to need a pretty empty stomach

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Does anyone know who will take over the team when Snider kicks the bucket?

Ed Snider's head in a jar.

futurama-head-jars-640x489.jpg

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
So Snider was at "another level" of optimism and Lavi and Holmgren are not on the hot seat at all??......:shakehead

He really needs to just stay quiet...he keeps making himself look like an old senile fool

Victory5

Apr 12, 2011
So Snider was at "another level" of optimism and Lavi and Holmgren are not on the hot seat at all??......:shakehead

He really needs to just stay quiet...he keeps making himself look like an old senile fool

Remember this is the Flyers, we tend to ship people off to Los Angeles after we say things like that :naughty:

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Snider you senile old coot.......eating your words once again!

Referring to Paul Holmgren and Peter Laviolette, Snider said, “They’re not on the hot seat this year. Not at all.â€

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Snider: "My fears were realized"

Yours??!! :rant:

I would like to see that list of issues:

Bryz

Ilya

Ilya Bryzgalov

Peter DeBoer

Injuries

Injuries

* Paul Holmgren is an "outstanding" GM..he is not an issue..oh yeah and neither is the coach

“From my own point of view, I really wasn’t happy with last year, but we blamed it on a lot of issues; we thought those issues were valid and thought Peter deserved an opportunity,” said Ed Snider, the Flyers’ chairman.

Snider said he received a call from Holmgren late Sunday _ after the Flyers’ 2-1 loss in Carolina, the team Laviolette once coached to the Stanley Cup _ and that he “approved” the GM’s decision to replace the coach.

Snider said he thought the Flyers’ performance in the lockout-shortened 2013 season was “an anomaly. He’s a great coach, a great guy; he works his butt off. But I thought our training camp, quite frankly, was one of the worst training camps I’ve ever seen. And I’m not talking about wins and losses. There was nothing exciting. Nobody shined. Nobody looked good. I couldn’t point to one thing that I thought was a positive coming out of training camp, and personally I was worried.”

The Flyers went 1-5-1 in the preseason.

“Unfortunately, my fears were realized in the first three games _ scoring one goal in each game. And looking disorganized,” Snider added. “If it wasn’t for our goalies, I think it could have been a lot worse.”

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/...fears-were-realized-.html#jUZ38Amv5w8Uy5gl.99

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
More from Snider:

“I thought our training camp, quite frankly, was one of the worst training camps I had ever seen,†club chairman Ed Snider said.

“Not talking about wins or losses. There was nothing exciting. Nobody shined. Nobody looked good. I couldn’t point to one thing as a positive and I was personally worried. Unfortunately, my worries were realized in the first three games.â€

“Unfortunately, in the business we’re in, the only way to find out [about the players] is to make a change,†Snider said. “You can’t get rid of all the players. This is why coaches lose their jobs and sometimes lose them because of the players, but we don’t know that until we make a change. Sometimes we’re right and sometimes we’re wrong. We think our players are better than they’ve looked.â€

So, someone asked Snider, you fire the coach because you can’t get rid of the players?

“Right,†Snider replied. “You show me a way to do that, weâ™ll be glad to do that instead.â€

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
More from Snider:

So, someone asked Snider, you fire the coach because you can’t get rid of the players?

“Right,” Snider replied. “You show me a way to do that, we’ll be glad to do that instead.”

So Snider effectively said that if he could he would fire all the players instead of Lavi? I'm sure that will go down well with them.

I know it was a snide remark to a stupid question... but still a silly thing to say to the media.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia

“Right,†Snider replied. “You show me a way to do that, we’ll be glad to do that instead.â€

So Snider effectively said that if he could he would fire all the players instead of Lavi? I'm sure that will go down well with them.

I know it was a snide remark to a stupid question... but still a silly thing to say to the media.

Snider and Holmgren...

Catoptrophobia- Fear of mirrors

http://www.phobiasource.com/catoptrophobia-fear-of-mirrors/

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad