Surprise and disappointment

Nynja*

Fluff up Therrien thread? On HFboards? Lol.

It is also clear that if you had a problem with his statement you're firmly in the bash Therrien camp.

The later is irrelevant, OP said "Forwards and Defense", leave the Therrien talk for the Therrien thread. Its not a difficult concept.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I want to add Subban to the deception list. So far. I mean, he has been ok, nothing really disastrous overall or anything, but I have seen him play so much better. I know he can be better.

I maintain the problem is by trying to play a more well-rounded game, Subban has lost what made him such an impact player. He is someone who needs to be unleashed and encouraged to be the offensive dynamo his skill set favors. Until either he, management or both realize that, I'm not certain we will see a resurgence of the old PK.

Habs_Apostle

Feb 22, 2004
Hey cinderella man, theres already 20 therrien threads, and the OP specifically stated "Defence and Forward"

lets not make another fluff up/bash therrien thread.

So no more bashing/praising Therrien except in the designated thread? My prayers have been answered! Guy gets way too much press around here.

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
Much love:
Gonchar, especially for mentoring Beaulieu
Weise- overachiever with hustle
Pleks- always reliable
Max- our scorer
PK- I don't mind if he paces himself
Beaulieu-coming on, hopefully a permanent home
DD- playing better than expected

Hoping for more:
Eller - he teases me
All the new guys (except Sekac)

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
After 44 games already this season who have been your top 3 surprise and deception at forward and defence position?

Deception

-Forward-

1-Parenteau--- I was expecting so much more from him... the guy is slow as hell and outside of the shoutout he's pretty much useless...

2-Malhotra--- I tought this guy still had some offence left in him when we sign him last summer but I guess not... Not only he doesn't have any offensive output, he's starting to have trouble in the D zone now.... Great faceoff and PK guy but that's it.

3-Desharnais/Eller--- I had problem finding a 3rd target so I decide to go with our 2nd/3rd line center. I think I was just expecting more offence from them since DD in only on pace for 41 points while Eller is on pace for 28 points.....

-Defence-

1-Emelin--I tough Emelin played well for the first 20 games of the season and really look like a number3-4 defenceman but since then AYOYE...... 4M for a number five defenceman is alot of $$$. I'm expecting so much more from him.

2-Gilbert- We were advise that Tom was a good offensive defenceman with average defensive ability, they were right on the defensive part but where the hell did his offensive instinc went??? Unfortunately for us Gilbert will be part of this team next year....

3-Tinordi--I know I know some people will be mad at me for putting him here but seriously I was expecting so much more from him this season.... He need to elevate his play when he come back next time with us to remain here for the remainder of his career.

Surprise

Forward

1-Weise---Who knows this guy before coming to MTL last year? Already 16 points this year wich put him in the top 6 production at forward on our team this year without any PP times... Great at ES and PK the guy never cease to amaze me. A pretty much perfect 4th liner in the NHL today.Another steal from Bergevin!

2-Pacioretty---MTL next Captain is doing everything for his club this year, amazing ES production, best PK player along with Pleky on the 1st wave and for a salary of 4.5M for the next 4 years!!!! Thanks Bergy!

3-Sekac--Talking about steal, what about Jiri Sekac? the guy had some much skill that's only a matter of time before we saw him on the 6 and PP duties. He might be MTL best 1 on 1 player in the entire organisation. Give this guy a chance and will never regret it....

Defence

1-Gonchar-- After reading the main board after that trade I was under the impression that we were getting a number 6 or even a healthy scratch for over 4M a year..... God I was wrong and thank you for that!!! He's my biggest surprise so far on that entire MTL team! He's good at everything he does, his shots always hit the net, he's amazing so far at ES while helping our organization number 1 prospect to finally blossom. Anyone want to retain this guy for another year?

2-Beaulieu-- After a nightmare to start the season, he's finally back with the team to remain here for a long time(I hope). Nate is still not producing enough for my liking but defensively, its night and day since his recall. We might have a good number 3 defeceman for years to come with Beaulieu!

3-Markov-- What else to say about the General... The guy is probably the most underrated defenceman in the NHL. He's good at everything and thank god Bergevin is the GM since half of this board wanna trade him last year at the TD....

What's yours?

Deception has a different meaning in English than it does in French.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I maintain the problem is by trying to play a more well-rounded game, Subban has lost what made him such an impact player. He is someone who needs to be unleashed and encouraged to be the offensive dynamo his skill set favors. Until either he, management or both realize that, I'm not certain we will see a resurgence of the old PK.
Yeah, just being "careful" or "conservative" or "risk-averse" or whatever are just too antithetical to Subban for it to ever work. The thing is, the more dynamic and audacious he is allowed to be, the better he plays *everywhere* on the ice. The way he's playing now, he's still very good, but he can be A Weapon, not just a very good defenseman who makes a few too many giveaways and takes a few too many bad penalties. He might be borderline top-10 this year, borderline all-star worthy (on the ice - off the ice he's a slam dunk), but he can be (has been!) better than this. Now that he isn't getting randomly benched for his errors, and not liable to end up playing with Bouillon, I just figured he'd be even better than his previous superstar level, not worse.

Hopefully it's just something of a half-season anomaly, of course. He's good enough still that there's no panic or even serious concern on my part. But he does have a spot on my "deception" list all the same. It might not even be his fault. Either way, still the same effect.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
After 44 games already this season who have been your top 3 surprise and deception at forward and defence position?

Deception

Too many deceptions, unfortunately

guys, i don't want to be a stickler but the word in English is disappointment NOT deception. In English deception would mean they lied or tricked you into believing something that's not true.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
What can we expect more from Eller as our third center? He's doing what he expected to do as a third center. Yeah maybe his production could be a little better but considering most of his points are at ES, 5 more points and Eller would be in the category of DD, Galchenyuk, Gallagher and Pap who all played a more offensive role.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Surprises:
Gonchar
Pacioretty taking his game to another level
Beaulieu
Prust roaring back
Sekac

Disappointments:
Weaver
Emelin
Gilbert (somewhat)
Malhotra

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004

A lot of players have to undergo a phase of change in their careers to remain elite productive players.

Scott Stevens was a great point producer early on in his career. But he became an elite shutdown physical dmen later in his career.

The very first look I had at Subban ... I wondered if he could sustain this type of play for 20 years. I strongly doubt it. Even if he remains perfectly healthy.

He really needs to start playing smarter. I'm not against Subban spin-o-raming players out of their jocktstraps in the O-zone but when he's 33 he won't be able to do that as often and as much. It's an asset he needs to keep in his toolbox. Right now, he's doing that type of stuff too much and at times when it's not relevant to do so. He needs to be smarter overall.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
I want to add Subban to the deception list. So far. I mean, he has been ok, nothing really disastrous overall or anything, but I have seen him play so much better. I know he can be better.

For the most part, the habs have cruised through the season with little adversity. PK is a guy who seems to feed off of emotion, and big games/assignments. I have little doubt that he won't rise to the occasion when it counts most.

Sword

May 26, 2014
Only disappointment to me is Emelin, he just doesn't hit as much anymore and that was the only thing he was good for.

Parenteau is soft just like I expected him to be, so not really a disappointment.

Surprise: Pacioretty, didn't think he could play on PK, he's actually doing a solid job.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Only disappointment to me is Emelin, he just doesn't hit as much anymore and that was the only thing he was good for.

Parenteau is soft just like I expected him to be, so not really a disappointment.

Surprise: Pacioretty, didn't think he could play on PK, he's actually doing a solid job.

I guess its safe to say at this point that emelin lost more than playing time when his knee blew up.

He's probably my biggest disappointment of the season as well.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Surprises: Sekac, Tokarski, Galchenyuk, Gonchar, Weise
Disappointment: Tinordi, Parenteau, Emelin, Weaver, Eller

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
These players are on these pace this season:

Pacioretty: 70 points
Plekanec: 60 points

Desharnais: 43 points
Parenteau: 30 points

These would be my surprises and deception, because i didn't expect that from them.
Just like i expected more of Emelin, Gilbert and Malhotra. Only base on personal expectation

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
His stats have been decent but im actually speaking about his skating abilities. If he can't keep up with opposing forwards it could cost us some games.

I think you are accurate about Gonchar's weakness, mobility or speed-wise, in a defensive role. Against some quicker teams, it is apparent that the game's speed is, at times, beyond Gonchar. I think, however, that the greater problem is that Gonchar is far from insulated playing alongside another D like Emelin who shares some of the same weaknesses.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
He's like Lafleur in the sense that he should just be set free. He's not nearly the guy he used to be and it's sad to watch because he could be so awesome right now.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
After 44 games already this season who have been your top 3 surprise and disappointment at forward and defence position?

DisappointmentWhat's yours?
Disappointment I got to go with Galchenyuk. This year I thought he would step up to be that PPG center. Second would be Tinordi, his future looks cloudy in Montreal. Elemin be my third pick. Big contract for bottom pairing caliber play.

Suprises....Beaulieu he is maturing into a future #2 possible defenseman. Price be next, finally may get that Vezina we thought he may win 6-7 years ago. Sekac be my third pick, looks to be future top 6 forward

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad