Surprise and disappointment

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
After 44 games already this season who have been your top 3 surprise and disappointment at forward and defence position?

Disappointment

-Forward-

1-Parenteau--- I was expecting so much more from him... the guy is slow as hell and outside of the shoutout he's pretty much useless...

2-Malhotra--- I tought this guy still had some offence left in him when we sign him last summer but I guess not... Not only he doesn't have any offensive output, he's starting to have trouble in the D zone now.... Great faceoff and PK guy but that's it.

3-Desharnais/Eller--- I had problem finding a 3rd target so I decide to go with our 2nd/3rd line center. I think I was just expecting more offence from them since DD in only on pace for 41 points while Eller is on pace for 28 points.....

-Defence-

1-Emelin--I tough Emelin played well for the first 20 games of the season and really look like a number3-4 defenceman but since then AYOYE...... 4M for a number five defenceman is alot of $$$. I'm expecting so much more from him.

2-Gilbert- We were advise that Tom was a good offensive defenceman with average defensive ability, they were right on the defensive part but where the hell did his offensive instinc went??? Unfortunately for us Gilbert will be part of this team next year....

3-Tinordi--I know I know some people will be mad at me for putting him here but seriously I was expecting so much more from him this season.... He need to elevate his play when he come back next time with us to remain here for the remainder of his career.

Surprise

Forward

1-Weise---Who knows this guy before coming to MTL last year? Already 16 points this year wich put him in the top 6 production at forward on our team this year without any PP times... Great at ES and PK the guy never cease to amaze me. A pretty much perfect 4th liner in the NHL today.Another steal from Bergevin!

2-Pacioretty---MTL next Captain is doing everything for his club this year, amazing ES production, best PK player along with Pleky on the 1st wave and for a salary of 4.5M for the next 4 years!!!! Thanks Bergy!

3-Sekac--Talking about steal, what about Jiri Sekac? the guy had some much skill that's only a matter of time before we saw him on the 6 and PP duties. He might be MTL best 1 on 1 player in the entire organisation. Give this guy a chance and will never regret it....

Defence

1-Gonchar-- After reading the main board after that trade I was under the impression that we were getting a number 6 or even a healthy scratch for over 4M a year..... God I was wrong and thank you for that!!! He's my biggest surprise so far on that entire MTL team! He's good at everything he does, his shots always hit the net, he's amazing so far at ES while helping our organization number 1 prospect to finally blossom. Anyone want to retain this guy for another year?

2-Beaulieu-- After a nightmare to start the season, he's finally back with the team to remain here for a long time(I hope). Nate is still not producing enough for my liking but defensively, its night and day since his recall. We might have a good number 3 defeceman for years to come with Beaulieu!

3-Markov-- What else to say about the General... The guy is probably the most underrated defenceman in the NHL. He's good at everything and thank god Bergevin is the GM since half of this board wanna trade him last year at the TD....

What's yours?

Last edited:

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
I disagree with Gonchar... he's been slowing down quite a lot in the past weeks, I hope this break will give him more energy for the rest of the season, but he remains a huge question mark for the PO. We have nothing that can replace him if he can't keep it up since Weaver is thankfully filling up for Gilbert.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
I disagree with Gonchar... he's been slowing down quite a lot in the past weeks, I hope this break will give him more energy for the rest of the season, but he remains a huge question mark for the PO. We have nothing that can replace him if he can't keep it up since Weaver is thankfully filling up for Gilbert.

I disagree. I think he's just starting to playing even better....

Last 10 games-- 6 assists +6 and 10 shots while playing 19 minutes.

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
I disagree. I think he's just starting to playing even better....

Last 10 games-- 6 assists +6 and 10 shots while playing 19 minutes.

His stats have been decent but im actually speaking about his skating abilities. If he can't keep up with opposing forwards it could cost us some games.

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
Surprise : Sekac, Beaulieu, Weise and Pacioretty.
Deception : Emelin.

And yeah, putting Tinordi in there is kind of harsh knowing that he only played 9 games and didn't have much chance.

FrontierPsyCHiatrist*

Surprise: Michel Therrien.

He has been coaching extremely well.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
Surprise:

Galchenyuk at C, The effectiveness of DD as a third line winger, Sekac, Beaulieu and his strides on D, Patches,

Deception:

Eller, Emelin, DD at Centre again....., PAP

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
To me Gonchar is a surprise...
Moen would never have that much impact!

Too many deceptions, unfortunately

Too many deception? I misundestood, aren't we battling the the 1st place in the conference? Your expectation must be very high.

His stats have been decent but im actually speaking about his skating abilities. If he can't keep up with opposing forwards it could cost us some games.

That's why he's pair with Nathan Beaulieu but i don't see any problem with Gonchar skating since like Markov he's reading the play very well and always in great position... we must agree to disagree then.

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
Too many deception? I misundestood, aren't we battling the the 1st place in the conference? Your expectation must be very high.

That's why he's pair with Nathan Beaulieu but i don't see any problem with Gonchar skating since like Markov he's reading the play very well and always in great position... we must agree to disagree then.

I love Gonchar's hockey IQ... its just da speed man

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
I've been saying Emelin is an overpaid #5 for quite some time now. Was very unhappy with the signing, he hadn't proved jack **** to be getting that deal and with an NTC to top it off. I just hope starts playing better. He's one of the most frustratingly inconsistent D we've had in quite some time.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Surprise : Sekac, Beaulieu, Weise and Pacioretty.
Deception : Emelin.

And yeah, putting Tinordi in there is kind of harsh knowing that he only played 9 games and didn't have much chance.

I don't agree with that statement..... If you want a chance to stick in the lineup you must show some promise or offer something the other defenceman can't. Tinordi look too affraid to make errors when jumping on the ice wich was the same with Beaulieu before getting paired with Gonchar. He need to elevated his game next time he get call and play the way he's playing in Hamilton or in the pre-season game this year.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
I've been saying Emelin is an overpaid #5 for quite some time now. Was very unhappy with the signing, he hadn't proved jack **** to be getting that deal and with an NTC to top it off. I just hope starts playing better. He's one of the most frustratingly inconsistent D we've had in quite some time.

He will be awesome one game and rookie terrible the next.

Dec 8, 2014
Surprise : sekac , dd can shoot, hudon and ghetto

Deception : michel therrien, emelin, the fans , JJD , rds and tva sports

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Wouldn't say he's a surprise but Plekanec has bounced back offensively while continuing to be awesome defensively, expected 40-50 points but he's on pace for close to 60 which would definitely be possible playing with Patches.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I want to add Subban to the deception list. So far. I mean, he has been ok, nothing really disastrous overall or anything, but I have seen him play so much better. I know he can be better.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009

Since his injury from 2 years ago with 10 games remaining on the season, Emelin have never been the same.... another player ruined by Lucic.:laugh:

I tough he look good at start this season going back to his natural side but since :cry:

Nynja*

Surprise: Michel Therrien.

He has been coaching extremely well.

Hey cinderella man, theres already 20 therrien threads, and the OP specifically stated "Defence and Forward"

lets not make another fluff up/bash therrien thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal

Exactly. I love his physical game, there's no question his hitting is awesome, but you can find a guy for half the price to do that, even an AHLer. I'm not saying any old AHL player is better than Emelin defensively, however I am saying at the end of the day they would likely effect the game similarly. He simply isn't a game changer but he's paid like a top 4 d-man.

If we could package him for an upgrade at this point, it would be huge. I'm mainly holding out hope that he starts to be more consistent. Sometimes positionally... honestly I wonder what the hell he's doing out there. Other times he simply looks lost.

I want to add Subban to the deception list. So far. I mean, he has been ok, nothing really disastrous overall or anything, but I have seen him play so much better. I know he can be better.

I agree with you here 100%. But I'm going to reserve full judgment of him until after the post season. He seems like the kind of player who holds back during the regular season. Possibly because of less adrenaline? Less willingness to take risk? Not sure, but he's definitely holding back. To be fair, earlier in the season he had a rough start defensively and now he's been solid. I agree though, I expect him to be a lock for top 3-5 in pts each year given his shot and level of talent and we're just not seeing that this year. Mind you, there have been some very amazing d-men this year offensively.

EDIT: Also, it isn't like 10 goals and 10th overall for d-men is that far off, he's scoring at a nice pace I'd just like to see him getting more assists. Probably partly the fault of our PP.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009

The only thing I can reproach to Subban is the number of dumb penalties he take....He need to cut that down ASAP. I didn't had him in my deception list because I think the standard of expectation is just so high for him that it make it pretty much impossible to satisfy the fans.... Even thoses morons on L'antichamre are acting as if Subban was MTL worst defenceman this year, maybe if PK was playing with Bouillon he would be a better player and a better person.:shakehead

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Exactly. I love his physical game, there's no question his hitting is awesome, but you can find a guy for half the price to do that, even an AHLer.

I don't agree with this. Very few if any AHLers can hit a guy like Lucic like Emelin can.

It's one thing to hit AHLers like Gabriel Dumont and it's another thing to hit guys like Lucic and Perry.

I'm disappointed by him i thought he would be able to become a good 4th physical d man but for now we still need him as he is one of the few guys in this team able to play physical against the best and we will need this in the playoffs.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
I don't agree with this. Very few if any AHLers can hit a guy like Lucic like Emelin can.

It's one thing to hit AHLers like Gabriel Dumont and it's another thing to hit guys like Lucic and Perry.

I'm disappointed by him i thought he would be able to become a good 4th physical d man but for now we still need him as he is the only guy able to play physical against the best and we will need this in the playoffs.

That's a fair point for sure. I was mainly trying to say it wouldn't be an overall disaster to give a guy like say Tinordi a shot(in place of Emelin), even if he can't hit as well he can still hit and ultimately have a similar effect on the team. That's a bad thing for Emelin when you can say "decent AHLer replacing him won't have much of an outcome on winning or losing" and that's how I currently feel about the guy. He hits well no doubt, but he isn't enough of a difference maker.

Emelin is making mistakes an AHLer would make. I agree though, he's one of the better hitters.

mustardnight*

Aug 11, 2011
Hey cinderella man, theres already 20 therrien threads, and the OP specifically stated "Defence and Forward"

lets not make another fluff up/bash therrien thread.

Fluff up Therrien thread? On HFboards? Lol.

It is also clear that if you had a problem with his statement you're firmly in the bash Therrien camp.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
That's a fair point for sure. I was mainly trying to say it wouldn't be an overall disaster to give a guy like say Tinordi a shot(in place of Emelin), even if he can't hit as well he can still hit and ultimately have a similar effect on the team.

Emelin is making mistakes an AHLer would make. I agree though, he's one of the better hitters.

Oh Tinordi could definitely replace Emelin in the upcoming years. 4 millions is too much for what Emelin brings right now. Kinda like Gorges. He is not bad but paid too much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad