Superstar Players vs. Elite Players

The GM

Jun 7, 2012
What about when a player may not have a all around elite game, but a specific elite talent such as shooting, etc.

Example, I heard in the past that Craig Adams was an elite penalty killer.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I think it's in tiers:

Generational - McDavid, Crosby
Superstar - Malkin, Benn
Elite - Giroux, Getzlaf

Not getting into a generational debate. For me, a superstar is someone that could go to any team in the league and be their best player. Obvious exceptions are when there are two of them (Malkin/Crosby, Benn/Seguin, etc). When I think Elite, I think of a player who is better than the average 1st line player (Giroux, Getzlaf, Backstrom, etc).

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Crosby, Karlsson, McDavid, Malkin

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
Superstar: Matthews, Eichel, Seguin, Benn, Doughty.

Elite: Crosby, Karlsson, McDavid, Malkin, Kane.

Elite is another level imo.

A star is a well known player. A superstar is worldwide known player. An elite player is a player among the very best by points etc. The terms doesn't equal each other out. A star player can be elite but he's not necessarily a world known superstar. A superstar player is very likely to be elite level player in his sport.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Superstar: Matthews, Eichel, Seguin, Benn, Doughty.

Elite: Crosby, Karlsson, McDavid, Malkin, Kane.

Elite is another level imo.

Super elite is also a category, but only when attribution is to middle-tier players. For example, Mike Fisher and Chris Kelly were super-elite third liners. Their performances and importance to the Senators were such that they could never really be replaced. Even recent Kelly reacquisition was a mistake, in that he was a shadow of his former self, more a Donovan than Kelly, really.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad