Superstar Players vs. Elite Players

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
I've always felt being a superstar was far above elite. A lot of players can be and already are elite, but not everybody can be a superstar.

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
The difference is purely semantic. Placing players into these broad categories has no real value. Just rank each player on a case-by-case basis, and the need for these categories goes away.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
The difference is purely semantic. Placing players into these broad categories has no real value. Just rank each player on a case-by-case basis, and the need for these categories goes away.

Basically it's just like you said. Some guys elite is another guys superstar. I find the term generational to be similarly subjective.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
Elite is a term used to categorize your 1st-line players that excel at the role rather than just meeting criteria.

Ex: Erik Johnson is a 1st-line defender. Pietrangelo is an elite defender.

Superstar is to go even further.

Ex: Karlsson is a superstar. Pietrangelo is still just elite.

Your superstars are the ones who are constantly winning or at least being nominated for trophies. Elite guys may get a mention or win a trophy once.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

Spot on.

I often feel like the need to place players in these subjective categories actually hurts discussion here more than it helps. Instead of writing three sentences to clearly capture what they think about a player, people use a term that instead sparks three pages of discussion with people convinced that their subjective definition of the term is the absolute truth.

Last edited:

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Elite is a term used to categorize your 1st-line players that excel at the role rather than just meeting criteria.

Your superstars are the ones who are constantly winning or at least being nominated for trophies. Elite guys may get a mention or win a trophy once.

This!

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Welll put.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

This is the way I've always seen it, well put.

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
Superstars are the ones that are recognized beyond their sport. Everybody knows what kind of sports we are talking about when someone mentions Crosby or Woods or Jordan. Elite is more like within that very sport ranking term. Skill levelwise where superstar is like marketingwise or popularity kinda thing. Saku Koivu played elite seasons in his career. Selanne played elite career. Koivu belonged there among other elite at that moment. Selanne became super star and a hall of famer top 100 best players ever.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Sort of funny most people would say the term Superstar is better then elite, I always felt "elite" was the highest I could categorize a player(ie you have stars, superstars then the elite)

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
An Elite player performs in their role on the team to a high level very consistently. When a player with a lot of talent has the work ethic to consistently use there talent to help the team. Some years they will even outperform a Superstar player but not consistently.

A Superstar Player goes above and beyond there role on the team and takes the team to another level. They are larger than life, capture awe and public fanfare and inadvertently make the sport more popular based simply on their presence. They have an impact far larger than the role they are put in.

Crosby and Ovechkin = Superstar

Stamkos and Backstrom = Elite

Last edited:

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
I still say Elite is the best of the best :P

I can agree with that in terms that you could say an Elite player is the best when talking about just how good of a player they are.

To me the term 'superstar' has more to do with popularity and how much interest they draw to the game. Crosby is an Elite player, but due to how much attention he receives he is a 'superstar' because he is recognizable to sports fans outside of die-hard hockey fans.

At least that's how I see it.

FoxyClean

Gets The Tough Pucks Out
Sep 19, 2016
Brooklyn
I'd say there are ~100 elite players in the league, but only ~10 superstars. Elite players are good for their team. Superstars are good for the sport.

Nov 24, 2006
To me, a "superstar" athlete is an athlete that transcends the sport (Wayne Gretzky, Michael Jordan, Tom Brady) so that people who don't even watch the sport are still fully aware of them.

Elite is just a really, really good player.

VoynovsParoleOfficer

Jun 13, 2015
I'd say there are ~100 elite players in the league, but only ~10 superstars. Elite players are good for their team. Superstars are good for the sport.

interesting take but it appears in NFL its the opposite as youll often hear that 10-12 Quarter backs are superstars but often only a handful will get deemed as an ELITE QB

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad