TV: Supernatural 15th and final season

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Didn't see this coming. I was under the impression that the show was already picked up:

Looks like all the spinoff prep was (once again) all for naught.

Sucks guess that's why I had not heard much about it since the episode aired. Maybe someone like Netflix might pick it up?

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
I'm ok with a spin off not being picked up, it would be eerily similair to Supernatural in most ways anyways I would imagine. And god knows we don't need more:

Dean: I'm sorry I lied to you Sam
Sam: You should have told me
Dean: I know, I'm sorry, it won't happen again

3 Episodes later:

Dean: Sam! Why did you lie to me....again!
Sam: It was my turn this time around, I think.

Rinse, dry, repeat.

Reactions: mrmovies779

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Wow, that was quite the season finale. Lucifer killed, Jack maybe lost his powers(?) and Michael took over Dean's body. But what I really want to see next season is Rowena and Charlie roadtrippin! There's the spinoff show we want. Also, since Jack sort of sacrificed himself to save someone else, isn't that basically similar to what Jesus did? So, theoretically, they could make him the saviour of Heaven. Curious by the way how Jesus hasn't been brought up (at least that I can remember). :laugh: Or in this show's lore, he was just a human.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Wow, that was quite the season finale. Lucifer killed, Jack maybe lost his powers(?) and Michael took over Dean's body. But what I really want to see next season is Rowena and Charlie roadtrippin! There's the spinoff show we want. Also, since Jack sort of sacrificed himself to save someone else, isn't that basically similar to what Jesus did? So, theoretically, they could make him the saviour of Heaven. Curious by the way how Jesus hasn't been brought up (at least that I can remember). :laugh: Or in this show's lore, he was just a human.

For the show he was just a human. I had to look up exactly who said it on the show, it was the Roman Goddess Vesta that called him the Hippie of Bethlehem. Also depending on which form of Christianity one follows, Catholics and Greek Orthodox for example, see Jesus as God being 1/3 of the Holy Trinity.

The shows Wiki page does say that Jesus might have been the angel Joshua aka the Gardner.

he angel Joshua seems to have borrowed some of Jesus' traits along with the name. Firstly, of Jesus it is said that he is the only one who has seen the face of God the Father (John 1:18, 6:46), and the show's angel Joshua was the only one who spoke with God (albeit not face to face). Secondly, after Jesus rose from the dead, one of his female disciples did not immediately recognize him and mistook him for a gardener (John 20:15), and in the show, the angel Joshua is called a "gardener".[1] Additionally the name Joshua is reminiscent of Jeshua, the Aramaic name of Jesus.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Anyone watch the Netflix series Superstition? Has a very Supernatural vibe to it and I am wondering if it is kind of set in the same world or if the creators are unofficially trying to make a link. In the first episode the father and son go to the dad's old car and when the father opens the trunk of the car, there is a trunk in it full of weapons, like in Supernatural, and the son actually says something like "You we all Sam and Dean". Then in the second or third episode there is a blade used by a human-infernal (aka demon) hybrid guy that looks exactly like the archangel blade from Supernatural as below.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Something that has been kinda bugging me lately: I've noticed a massive increase in the amount of background music in the show, is it just me?
Seems like way more this season but I think it started a little bit last season as well.

It's like I'm watching a show from 1995, kinda disorienting and I don't like it :laugh:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Whoa.... :amazed: :eek: God's a dick. Released all the souls from Hell that Sam & Dean have sent there just because Dean refused to shoot Jack. Final season is going to be crazy!

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I feel like this show defines what it means to be a "cult" show. It's just shocking to me that a show like this that started as a seemingly run-of-the mill monster of the week show has lasted 15 seasons. Like that type of longevity is reserved for stuff that hits a nerve in the cultural zeitgeist and just takes off completely. I watched the first like 6 or 7 seasons maybe? I'm not really sure, I can't remember. I started losing interest when it seemed like it was just exclusively about Heaven vs. Hell and that whole thing. I think overall it suffers from a lot of pitfalls a lot of these other shows have which is corny writing or just repeating plots and characters over and over again, but there was still something a bit different that kept me hooked for a bit.

I think the main thing is the two leads. Those two dudes just ooze charisma and their chemistry is amazing, it's insane. And I think what they've done outside the show in like interviews and at conventions takes that cult aspect to a new level. It's not even that they're great actors, but I think there's just some kind of unique charm there. And the other thing would probably be that it's a pretty self aware show. There were numerous episodes where they'd take wild risks and change up the format completely, which always kept things refreshing.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
I wonder what Dean thinks of this ????

from tmz.com:

3b50799fa51d4c5ea2e1cada125a1247_md.jpg

"Supernatural" star Jared Padalecki was arrested at a club he tends to frequent quite often -- which makes this story all the more ghastly.

Jared -- who plays Sam Winchester on the show, opposite Jensen Ackles -- was busted by cops early Sunday morning in Austin, TX outside of a lounge called Stereotype. Per his booking sheet, he's facing two counts of assault and one count of public intoxication.

Based on video TMZ obtained in the moments leading up to Jared's arrest ... you can see why. The guy was getting physical on the sidewalk, and cops had to get involved.

Eyewitnesses on the scene tell us that at first, Jared allegedly struck a bartender in the face from inside the establishment ... and that a friend tried calming him down outside, but got put into a headlock after a standoff, which you can see here in the footage.

We're also told he got into it with the general manager of the place, and allegedly struck him in the face as well. Eventually, Jared was restrained by police ... but not before pulling out what we're told was a wad of cash, and allegedly flashing it to the officers.

Full story ( including video ) here: 'Supernatural' Star Jared Padalecki Arrested at His Go-To Austin Club

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
I feel like this show defines what it means to be a "cult" show. It's just shocking to me that a show like this that started as a seemingly run-of-the mill monster of the week show has lasted 15 seasons. Like that type of longevity is reserved for stuff that hits a nerve in the cultural zeitgeist and just takes off completely. I watched the first like 6 or 7 seasons maybe? I'm not really sure, I can't remember. I started losing interest when it seemed like it was just exclusively about Heaven vs. Hell and that whole thing. I think overall it suffers from a lot of pitfalls a lot of these other shows have which is corny writing or just repeating plots and characters over and over again, but there was still something a bit different that kept me hooked for a bit.

I think the main thing is the two leads. Those two dudes just ooze charisma and their chemistry is amazing, it's insane. And I think what they've done outside the show in like interviews and at conventions takes that cult aspect to a new level. It's not even that they're great actors, but I think there's just some kind of unique charm there. And the other thing would probably be that it's a pretty self aware show. There were numerous episodes where they'd take wild risks and change up the format completely, which always kept things refreshing.
Have not seen a single episode yet, came into this thread to pretty much ask, is this show that good to last so long?
I'm a Buffy/angel fan , how does it compare? I wish those two shows got 15 seasons! (Or maybe not) haha

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Have not seen a single episode yet, came into this thread to pretty much ask, is this show that good to last so long?
I'm a Buffy/angel fan , how does it compare? I wish those two shows got 15 seasons! (Or maybe not) haha

It's not GREAT, but it's fairly consistently delivered something that the fans want for most of the time. The first few seasons are a bit grittier, a bit darker, and a bit smaller scale. You can tell where they went and wrapped up the original plot that the creator had in mind the whole time and then started off on something new afterwards. In that after period the show almost morphs into something different where it's a bit more self-aware, a bit more experimental, and gets by on a combination of heavily leaning into the most ardent part of the fandom's quirks and eccentricities and by really playing with the boundaries of what the show can and can't do and how it presents itself. I'd argue that in that time it definitely picks up a lot more comedy than it did before, not that such a thing is necessarily bad.

I'd almost argue that the first 5-6 seasons are like the first couple seasons of Angel, the next 5ish seasons are like seasons 3 and 4 of Angel where they open themselves up to a bit broader and bigger story and really swing for the fences even if they also strike out a bit in the process, and the last 5ish seasons are a bit like the last season of Angel where it's a bit more heavily retooled and to an extent they are testing to see how much they can present you with something that's quite different without you saying "this isn't the show I started watching anymore. I can't do this."

Also a lot of its success is carried on the charisma of its cast. The major regular cast members are more or less what makes it work 90% of the time. You'll show up for the entertaining monster/demon/horror mythology sort of stuff, but stick around because you end up liking or enjoying the people involved. And then, just like a lot of Whedon shows, as soon as you really like someone, they get brutally killed off. :laugh: Seriously, this is a show with a very healthy mortality rate.

Reactions: Trap Jesus

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I wonder what Dean thinks of this ????

from tmz.com:

3b50799fa51d4c5ea2e1cada125a1247_md.jpg

"Supernatural" star Jared Padalecki was arrested at a club he tends to frequent quite often -- which makes this story all the more ghastly.

Jared -- who plays Sam Winchester on the show, opposite Jensen Ackles -- was busted by cops early Sunday morning in Austin, TX outside of a lounge called Stereotype. Per his booking sheet, he's facing two counts of assault and one count of public intoxication.

Based on video TMZ obtained in the moments leading up to Jared's arrest ... you can see why. The guy was getting physical on the sidewalk, and cops had to get involved.

Eyewitnesses on the scene tell us that at first, Jared allegedly struck a bartender in the face from inside the establishment ... and that a friend tried calming him down outside, but got put into a headlock after a standoff, which you can see here in the footage.

We're also told he got into it with the general manager of the place, and allegedly struck him in the face as well. Eventually, Jared was restrained by police ... but not before pulling out what we're told was a wad of cash, and allegedly flashing it to the officers.

Full story ( including video ) here: 'Supernatural' Star Jared Padalecki Arrested at His Go-To Austin Club

source.gif

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
It's not GREAT, but it's fairly consistently delivered something that the fans want for most of the time. The first few seasons are a bit grittier, a bit darker, and a bit smaller scale. You can tell where they went and wrapped up the original plot that the creator had in mind the whole time and then started off on something new afterwards. In that after period the show almost morphs into something different where it's a bit more self-aware, a bit more experimental, and gets by on a combination of heavily leaning into the most ardent part of the fandom's quirks and eccentricities and by really playing with the boundaries of what the show can and can't do and how it presents itself. I'd argue that in that time it definitely picks up a lot more comedy than it did before, not that such a thing is necessarily bad.

I'd almost argue that the first 5-6 seasons are like the first couple seasons of Angel, the next 5ish seasons are like seasons 3 and 4 of Angel where they open themselves up to a bit broader and bigger story and really swing for the fences even if they also strike out a bit in the process, and the last 5ish seasons are a bit like the last season of Angel where it's a bit more heavily retooled and to an extent they are testing to see how much they can present you with something that's quite different without you saying "this isn't the show I started watching anymore. I can't do this."

Also a lot of its success is carried on the charisma of its cast. The major regular cast members are more or less what makes it work 90% of the time. You'll show up for the entertaining monster/demon/horror mythology sort of stuff, but stick around because you end up liking or enjoying the people involved. And then, just like a lot of Whedon shows, as soon as you really like someone, they get brutally killed off. :laugh: Seriously, this is a show with a very healthy mortality rate.
Excellent write up! More than expected hahah
Thanks!
I'll prob give it a go. Binging all 15 seasons at once could be interesting.
Haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad