Superleague talks

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

Liverpool and Manchester United are in talks about a bombshell plot involving Europe's biggest football clubs to join a new FIFA-backed tournament that would reshape the sport's global landscape.

Sky News has learnt that financiers are assembling a $6bn (£4.6bn) funding package to assist the creation of what could become known as the European Premier League.

Sources said that FIFA, football's world governing body, had been involved in developing the new format, which is expected to comprise up to 18 teams, and involve fixtures played during the regular European season.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
So now their goal is to destroy Champions League, Liverpool and Man U can f*** off. Best part of Champions League is when you get Cinderella runs.

And like the last attempt, at least 3 of the big English clubs were not supportive of it, so lets not assume that all 6 are supportive of the idea.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
John Henry and the Glazers on a mission to destroy English football for their bank accounts.
This idea has always been around and from many Europeans, so it's not like it's a conspiracy by Americans to ruin the English/European game.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
tenor.gif

Creating a thing like this is the sort of thing I'd do on a video game when I was a kid

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
This idea has always been around and from many Europeans, so it's not like it's a conspiracy by Americans to ruin the English/European game.
They're the ones in talks to join right now according to the article. And this is on the heels of their Project Big Picture design being shot down a week ago.

Pretty clear at this stage those two ownership groups are willing to go to any lengths to upend the current English football structure to maximize their earnings at the expense of "lesser" clubs. Whether a European superleague has been bandied about for years and whether other English or continental teams are receptive doesn't particularly have bearing on the extent to which those two clubs are leading the charge.

Reactions: bluesfan94

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
For those who didn’t read the article

“Real Madrid has been one of the principal architects of the European Premier League's creation, with a plan to get the new competition launched as rapidly as possible.

Key Capital Partners, a Spanish finance house, and Florentino Perez, the veteran Real Madrid president, are also understood to have been driving forces behind the latest project.”

Sky burying the lede of who is really leading this charge. Honestly who could blame the five English teams invited for doing this? It’ll help their clubs out financially. LFC and Utd brought Project Big Picture to the table, it was obviously not well received but at least they are trying. The Premier League is not known for being innovative, certainly not anymore., in regards to changing the status quo. They were the last league to VAR, they were the only major league not to go five subs, and it’s because they are leaning on tradition as a crutch. They need to adapt.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

“Real Madrid has been one of the principal architects of the European Premier League's creation, with a plan to get the new competition launched as rapidly as possible.

Key Capital Partners, a Spanish finance house, and Florentino Perez, the veteran Real Madrid president, are also understood to have been driving forces behind the latest project.”

Sky burying the lede of who is really leading this charge.
Perez has wanted this for more than a decade.

I don't think they are burying the lead, Just that Perez and Real should've been included with Liverpool and Man U.

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
Interesting.

18 clubs only. 5 of them English.
If they did this based of most valuable clubs, this would be the make up of the league.

1. Real Madrid
2. Manchester United FC
3. FC Barcelona
4. FC Bayern Munich
5. Liverpool FC
6. Manchester City FC
7. Chelsea FC
8. Tottenham Hotspur FC
9. Paris Saint-Germain FC
10. Juventus
11. Borussia Dortmund
12. Atletico Madrid
13. Inter Milan
14. FC Schalke 04
15. AS Roma
16. Napoli
17. Olympique Lyonnais
18. Ajax

This would leave the 10th most valuable football club in the world out

10. Arsenal
18. West Ham
19. Leicester City
21. Everton
22. AC Milan
24. Benfica
25. Valencia

Personally, if it was left up to me I would stick with the CL and forget this but!

England (Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool)
Italy (Juventus, AC Milan, Inter Milan)
Holland (Ajax)
Portugal (FC Porto)
France (PSG)
Germany (Bayern, Dortmund, Schalke)
Spain (Ath Madrid, Real Madrid, Barcelona)
18th Team (Galatasaray, Celtic FC, Shakhtar, RB Salzburg, Zenit, Olympiakos or Kiev)

English clubs are a combined value of 8.578 Billion, I wouldn't leave that considering the next league on the list is less than half at 3.938 Billion (La Liga) followed by Germany 3.275B, Italy 1.877B & France 1.278B

If anything the English league should invite a couple of big Scottish clubs into the PL.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Perez has wanted this for more than a decade.

I don't think they are burying the lead, Just that Perez and Real should've been included with Liverpool and Man U.
They are absolutely burying the lede. They will get more clicks if they throw LFC and Utd in the headline, especially after Project Big Picture

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
They are absolutely burying the lede. They will get more clicks if they throw LFC and Utd in the headline, especially after Project Big Picture
If you want to argue that the headline should be Two top English club and 1 top Spanish club in bombshell talks...then sure, but lets not act like this is just Perez and Liverpool and Man U are along for the ride.

It's wrong to say it's just the American owners of Liverpool and Man U, but it's also wrong to say this is just Perez's masterplan.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Interesting.

18 clubs only. 5 of them English.
If they did this based of most valuable clubs, this would be the make up of the league.

1. Real Madrid
2. Manchester United FC
3. FC Barcelona
4. FC Bayern Munich
5. Liverpool FC
6. Manchester City FC
7. Chelsea FC
8. Tottenham Hotspur FC
9. Paris Saint-Germain FC
10. Juventus
11. Borussia Dortmund
12. Atletico Madrid
13. Inter Milan
14. FC Schalke 04
15. AS Roma
16. Napoli
17. Olympique Lyonnais
18. Ajax

This would leave the 10th most valuable football club in the world out

10. Arsenal
18. West Ham
19. Leicester City
21. Everton
22. AC Milan
24. Benfica
25. Valencia

Personally, if it was left up to me I would stick with the CL and forget this but!

England (Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool)
Italy (Juventus, AC Milan, Inter Milan)
Holland (Ajax)
Portugal (FC Porto)
France (PSG)
Germany (Bayern, Dortmund, Schalke)
Spain (Ath Madrid, Real Madrid, Barcelona)
18th Team (Galatasaray, Celtic FC, Shakhtar, RB Salzburg, Zenit, Olympiakos or Kiev)

English clubs are a combined value of 8.578 Billion, I wouldn't leave that considering the next league on the list is less than half at 3.938 Billion (La Liga) followed by Germany 3.275B, Italy 1.877B & France 1.278B

If anything the English league should invite a couple of big Scottish clubs into the PL.

Schalke's going to be in the second division by 2022, and they'd be in the European Super League? I don't think so.

Reactions: robertmac43

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't like this idea. What I don't like most is that you can buy your way in, and then you get a spot presumably for many years if not longer. Form of top teams doesn't change a lot, but it changes enough that if we are not seeing the teams change in this tournament based on merit, it's not going to include all the best teams. The Champions League at least accomplishes that. You rarely see the best teams left out of the competition.

I don't even know how the big six English teams will decide which of them gets left out. That would probably be the most interesting part of this.

I also don't understand how and when these games would be played. It seems like they'd be trying to add a lot more games than the Champions League is. Most of the top teams cannot add additional games to what they already play. It would be too many per season.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.

Sky burying the lede of who is really leading this charge. Honestly who could blame the five English teams invited for doing this? It’ll help their clubs out financially. LFC and Utd brought Project Big Picture to the table, it was obviously not well received but at least they are trying. The Premier League is not known for being innovative, certainly not anymore., in regards to changing the status quo. They were the last league to VAR, they were the only major league not to go five subs, and it’s because they are leaning on tradition as a crutch. They need to adapt.
"At least they are trying"...to what? Create the optimal environment to make the most amount of money while decreasing the pie for the majority? The implication here that there's some sort of altruistic bent to their designs in the name of restructuring English football to save it is pretty ridiculous.

You can't on the one hand say who can blame these guys for wanting money and then paint that objective (which PBP certainly was) as in the best interest of everyone. Despite the initial headlines, a lot of the subsequent reporting detailed how it wasn't even that attractive a proposition at the L1/L2 level after accounting for the fine print.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
It was more tongue in cheek.

There's plenty of Euros to blame as well
Fair, I just know plenty that genuinely view it as just an American problem.

For me, depending on where Chelsea falls on this, if they make a position, this would be what shakes my fandom. The big clubs already have a stranglehold on their competition, no take them behind the barn and kill them.

If they truly want a NA system where clubs are guaranteed a spot in the top league, then they better be ready to take on all of the aspects of the system, but we know they wouldn't go for that.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I also don't understand how and when these games would be played. It seems like they'd be trying to add a lot more games than the Champions League is. Most of the top teams cannot add additional games to what they already play. It would be too many per season.
Not to mention these would all be very intense games. There are no easy trips with the hypothetical set up. As a manager how do you select a rotated team when you play these giants each week, while balancing the domestic league.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad