Super Teams: Avs/Blues vs Pens/Caps

Which super team wins a 7 same series? Avs/Blues or Pens/Caps?

• Total voters

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
That Blues/Avs defense is incredible though. Makar-Petro and Parayko-Girard is a much better top 4 than what the PenCaps are putting out there. But in saying that the PenCaps offense is just dumb good and would win them the series imo.

I think Makar would get feasted on if he was on the first pairing.

In fact I worry about how well that left side handles the RW in every matchup. All 4 are big boys who aren't shy. If you could line up Parayko on the LD to take a bunch of the hardest minutes, I would feel a lot better about it.

edited: oops, Tara on other team.
Holtby is one of the best playoff goalies in history.

Then you take into account if Holtby struggles...you have Murray behind him. And Jarry.

And it all of that fails, you have possibly the most interesting young goalie in the game in Samsanov. Goaltending feels pretty equal to me. I would actually prefer Pitt/Wash's depth at that position.

Last edited:

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I think Makar would get feasted on if he was on the first pairing. Rantanen and Tarasenko would be an absolute handful.

In fact I worry about how well that left side handles the RW in every matchup. All 4 are big boys who aren't shy. If you could line up Parayko on the LD to take a bunch of the hardest minutes, I would feel a lot better about it.
Makar was thriving playing ~20 minutes a game next to Ryan ducking Graves. Petro would elevate Makars game 100%, there’s no doubt about that. As for Girard, he’d be fine. He’s smart and elusive as they come, so I’m not worried about his size at all. Sure he could get rocked but since his rookie year he’s gotten better and better with dealing with physical guys.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Makar was thriving playing ~20 minutes a game next to Ryan ducking Graves. Petro would elevate Makars game 100%, there’s no doubt about that. As for Girard, he’d be fine. He’s smart and elusive as they come, so I’m not worried about his size at all. Sure he could get rocked but since his rookie year he’s gotten better and better with dealing with physical guys.

Pie would elevate his game, no doubt, but this wouldn't be a regular NHL matchup. You can't hide someone on the top pairing, and you can't hide them when all 4 lines are this skilled. I just don't think Makar would fare well (at this point) facing down this level of talent for a full 20 mins. Could be wrong, we will never know.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Peie would elevate his game, no doubt, but this wouldn't be a regular NHL matchup. You can't hide someone on the top pairing, and you can't hide them when all 4 lines are this skilled. I just don't think Makar would fair well (at this point) facing down this level of talent for a full 20 mins. Could be wrong, we will never know.
I mean nothing in Makars career has shown he wouldn’t be up to the task. He’s had his moments of inexperience, but he also learns and adapts incredibly well. And having a top 5-10 dman paired with him is the perfect fit.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

Yeah... that’s one of the things that fans of other teams are still learning about the Avs.

Their defence was just as much a factor in their success this year as the forward group. Perhaps even more important.

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
I find it funny the Caps/Pens team's first two goalies performed worse than #3 and #4 this season.

Honestly I think Dunn should be second pair over Girard too

Reactions: Dan10900

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think the skaters give an advantage to the Eastern team, but the goalie disparity is so big that you give it slightly to the Western team as the better super team.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I find it funny the Caps/Pens team's first two goalies performed worse than #3 and #4 this season.

Honestly I think Dunn should be second pair over Girard too

Why would Dunn play ahead of Girard?

Girard is better than Dunn and is more accustomed to taking on a larger role.

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
Why would Dunn play ahead of Girard?

Girard is better than Dunn and is more accustomed to taking on a larger role.
I would have to disagree. I'll take Dunn if I had to add one to Chicago. They are both pretty good defenseman though.
upload_2020-6-28_19-23-21.png

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I think Makar would get feasted on if he was on the first pairing.

edited: oops, Tara on other team.

Then you take into account if Holtby struggles...you have Murray behind him. And Jarry.

And it all of that fails, you have possibly the most interesting young goalie in the game in Samsanov. Goaltending feels pretty equal to me. I would actually prefer Pitt/Wash's depth at that position.

If you're playing a series though, you don't have a lot of time to rely on goalie depth without falling in an early hole. Their goaltending is a bit of a crap shoot given how Holtby and Murray have played this year.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I mean RAPM accounts for usage, he's also looked very good vs some top forwards when I watched him.

I dunno. I don’t dislike Dunn. I think he’s an excellent bottom pair defenceman, but he’s played three full seasons and is still stuck on Stl’s 3rd pair. Why is that? He’s not blocked by Parayko and Petro either, because they’re Righty’s and he’s a Lefty.

I’ll take Girard over him, given what I saw from him this season.

Dan10900

May 10, 2020
too many players to compare for forwards, but I'm leaning towards pens/caps, for defense I'd take
Orlov-Letang
Carlson-Marino
Dumo-Siegs
over
Dunn-Pietro
Girard-Makar
Graves-Parayko, that left side is just too weak (comparatively ofc) and there's 5, maybe 6 guys I wouldn't mind on a top pair in the PIT/WSH team, I would give the goaltending edge to STL/COL, but goalies are voodoo, I can't put too much weight into them lol

Reactions: Merrrlin

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
How is the Blues defense better lol.

Dumoulin, Carlson, Letang is just as comparable to Pietro, Makar, Parayko in terms of top three D.

Marino has basically entered the league as a more offensive Girard.

Then you have Dunn and Graves who are carried by their partners to a degree versus Pettersson and Orlov who have both kind of proven they can be "the guy" on their pairing.

Carlson is a better offensive force than Makar at this point.

Letang is a better two way D than Pietro

Parayko is obviously better than Dumoulin.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
How is the Blues defense better lol.

Dumoulin, Carlson, Letang is just as comparable to Pietro, Makar, Parayko in terms of top three D.

Marino has basically entered the league as a more offensive Girard.

Then you have Dunn and Graves who are carried by their partners to a degree versus Pettersson and Orlov who have both kind of proven they can be "the guy" on their pairing.

Carlson is a better offensive force than Makar at this point.

Letang is a better two way D than Pietro

Parayko is obviously better than Dumoulin.

The Pittsburgh defence is definitely underrated imo, but I’d still take the Blues D.

Last edited:

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
I don't think the Blues are a weak link here....I mean they're one of the best in the league for a reason. I just don't think these two blend very well. I probably would make adjustments to this lineup anyways. For example, I would take Faulk over Graves all day regardless of the how he played in the first half this year.

Makar - Pietrangelo
Girard - Parayko
Dunn - Faulk

If were blending teams, I would put Toronto and St Louis up against anyone.

Schenn Matthews Marner
Schwartz Tavares Tarasenko
Perron OReilly Nylander
Hyman Thomas Kapanen/Sanford/Mikeyev/Bozak

Muzzin Pietrangelo
Reilly Parayko
Dunn Faulk/Barrie

Andersen/Binnington

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I don't think the Blues are a weak link here....I mean they're one of the best in the league for a reason. I just don't think these two blend very well. I probably would make adjustments to this lineup anyways. For example, I would take Faulk over Graves all day regardless of the how he played in the first half this year.

Makar - Pietrangelo
Girard - Parayko
Dunn - Faulk

Schenn Matthews Marner
Perron OReilly Nylander

Muzzin Pietrangelo
Reilly Parayko
Dunn Faulk/Barrie

Andersen/Binnington

Faulk hasn’t been good at all for Stl, and Blues fans would be the first ones to tell you that.

I think I like that Leafs/Blues forward group a little better, but losing MacKinnon hurts.

I definitely prefer the Avs/Blues D over the Leafs/Blues D though.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019

Makar - Pietrangelo
Girard - Parayko
Dunn - Faulk

Schenn Matthews Marner
Perron OReilly Nylander

Muzzin Pietrangelo
Reilly Parayko
Dunn Faulk/Barrie

Andersen/Binnington

That team definitely has a better blend. Nice job.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
The weak links are Nichushkin and Graves...lol

I’d argue that Nichushkin is exactly what you would want for a 4th liner on a team like this.

He’s elite defensively and that’s a perfect fit for what his role would be.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I’d argue that Nichushkin is exactly what you would want for a 4th liner on a team like this.

He’s elite defensively and that’s a perfect fit for what his role would be.
Maybe Nichuskin would fit the role best, guess it depends on what exactly you think the role is...but I think Sanford or Sundqvist are both better overall players. Sandford has a clear edge offensively. If you want defense, Sundqvist is every bit as elite defensively while also being more versatile as a C/W and a dynamite PKer.

Not matter how you cut it though, Nichushkin and Graves are clearly the weak links on the roster in OP. Just thought it was funny to say the Blues were the weak link, when the 2 weakest players on the roster were both avs.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Maybe Nichuskin would fit the role best, guess it depends on what exactly you think the role is...but I think Sanford or Sundqvist are both better overall players. Sandford has a clear edge offensively. If you want defense, Sundqvist is every bit as elite defensively while also being more versatile as a C/W and a dynamite PKer.

Not matter how you cut it though, Nichushkin and Graves are clearly the weak links on the roster in OP. Just thought it was funny to say the Blues were the weak link, when the 2 weakest players on the roster were both avs.

I considered putting Sundqvidt/Sanford instead of the wings on the 4th line and could be convinced to go with those guys.

Graves played better than Dunn this year, so I’m not sure why you view Graves as the weak link as opposed to him.

I actually like the Avs/Blues bottom pair over the Pens/Caps in this scenario. You could substitute Johnson in for Dunn, but I prefer the mobility of Dunn.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad