GDT: Super Bowl LI - PATRIOTS CHAMPIONS - GEE WALLY WINS MVP FOR GOING TO BED

Status
Not open for further replies.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
While Shanahan was a lummox, as the head coach and leader of the team you HAVE to intervene there and take over. If he was indeed calling the plays, he was obviously lost there and Quinn should have done something.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
http://www.myajc.com/sports/football/new-low-for-falcons-new-low-for-atlanta/RNCZUiQrouGjSNkP4NxMjI/

HOUSTON —
They say champions must go through pain. But this was beyond pain. This was beyond a necessary learning experience. This was beyond Atlanta.

A 28-3 lead in the Super Bowl, where no team had ever trailed by more than 10 points and won. In a long history of NFL postseasons, nobody had ever come back from than 16 in the fourth quarter.

A 28-3 lead, when young was beating old, when fast was beating slow, when the MVP quarterback of today was outplaying the one of years past, when it appeared a franchise was headed for the greatest of all exorcisms.

“This is hard one for us,†Falcons coach Dan Quinn said Sunday night. “There’s not place to put that one.â€

No. And there never will be.

Because this is a new low for the Falcons. This is a new low for Atlanta sports. For as exciting and wonderful as this season was on so many levels — a magical offense, a young and improving defense, a seemingly new direction affirmed — the 2016 season will most be remembered for how it ended.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
C3_gQsqUoAAwL5n.jpg:large

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
That play call should be exhibit A when someone here says "You don't know **** they paid professionals to make decisions and calls and you sit behind a keyboard"

Carroll rubbed off too much on Quinn I guess.

The real problem was that game was over after Julio made that circus catch. Run the ball three times. Make them use timeouts, maybe you get a first down...whatever, you kick the FG there and go up by 11 with about 3 minutes left or so. The Pats were dinking and dunking all game and even if they hit big plays and score they need to do an onsides kick.

The great ones like Bill are always just 3 plays ahead.

Correct. First down on the Patriots 22, leading by 8 points with what...5 minutes left? Literally kneel the ****ing ball 3 times if you dont want to chance the fumble or something, make the Pats use their time outs, and kick the FG. Game over.

Instead, you take a huge sack, and a ****ing holding penalty, pushing yourself out of FG range.

Just putrid, absolutely putrid, stupid, brain dead play calling from Atlanta there.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Still can't believe what I witnessed last night. I truly believed we would come back. Maybe it was the anxiety meds :)laugh:) but I thought we'd do it

Just feels surreal.

TCDaniels

Legen... Wait for it
Feb 12, 2003
Maine
lol just saw the title so I missed it. Anyone actually know any Pats fans who stopped watching at 28-3?

Bruins go down 4-1 in Game 7 vs Leafs... Tom Turns off TV. Bruins come back with a minute and a half to tie / win in overtime...

Patriots go down by 21... Tom turns off TV. Tom checks in at beginning of 3rd quarter, just to see TB12 get sacked twice. Tom realizes mistake and turns off TV and stays away.

I think we've discovered the secret. You're welcome Patriots fans!

Raises hand (and I'd do it again!!)

Bruins1233

Apr 30, 2016

I'm sorry, its not even close, coming back to beat the Yankees down 3-0 in the ALCS and then to win the first World Series in 86 years is much bigger than basically anything.
If anything the 2016 Patriots are 3rd to the 2013 Red Sox who played possessed from Patriots Day all the way to a World Series.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
The two most annoying things yesterday were the George Takei commercials and Troy Aikman continually using the word "home". Beasley almost got home. The Falcons need to get home. Freeney finally got home on that one. Irritating.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Why did Atlanta clock the ball at their own 27 with 18 seconds left? I thought it was dumb in the moment, but it's even more confusing now rewatching it.

I was laughing when they did that. They really wanted us to have the ball back

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Fenway's what's your sports Pain List

1. Red Sox WS 1986
2. Patriots SB 2007 undefeated team
3. Bruins 1979 game 7 too-many-men-on-ice
4. Patriots 1975 vs Raiders roughing the passer
5. Bruins - 1971 game 7 vs Montreal

Others in no order

Celtics 2010 game 7 lose 10 point lead in 4th
Red Sox- 1975 game 2 & game 7 vs Reds
Red Sox- 1978 Bucky Dent game
Patriots - 2011 SB Welker drop

Bruins - soooo many

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston

I feel for their fans, I really do. That must be absolutely gut-wrenching for a city that has experienced some pretty gut-wrenching sports moments.

We were getting blown out, and I thought "What an embarrassment this is..." Man, losing 28-3 would not even COMPARE to how they lost. This was the biggest choke ever in the biggest game in the country, a comeback win that make Brady undoubtedly the GOAT. Even if people don't bring up their choke, this is an all-time moment for the best player in NFL history. It's gonna be an internet meme for months. Until, and if, they win, this will be the definition of their franchise. Win or lose, Brady and Belichick still end up as the best of all time and the Patriots are still one of the greatest modern day dynasties. This is what people will think when they hear "Falcons".

...and I couldn't be happier. :laugh: Stay dry at the parade tomorrow, everyone.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Fenway's what's your sports Pain List

1. Red Sox WS 1986
2. Patriots SB 2007 undefeated team
3. Bruins 1979 game 7 too-many-men-on-ice
4. Patriots 1975 vs Raiders roughing the passer
5. Bruins - 1971 game 7 vs Montreal

Others in no order

Celtics 2010 game 7 lose 10 point lead in 4th
Red Sox- 1975 game 2 & game 7 vs Reds
Red Sox- 1978 Bucky Dent game
Patriots - 2011 SB Welker drop

Bruins - soooo many

That is painful just to read :cry:

I would make 'too many men' #2 because I was in the Forum for that.

I was also at the Bucky Dent game a few months earlier. :cry:

First time I was crushed by a loss was a Pats/Jets game in 1966. All they had to do was win that game and they would have hosted Kansas City at Fenway Park for the right to go to the first Super Bowl.

https://youtu.be/L0fgV5TaSXE?t=1808

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad