Suns owner Robert Sarver in big trouble, could be forced to sell

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Tap the brakes.......

This is from a local sportscaster with connections.

Suns fans would like nothing but to see Sarver gone, but there better be something more than blogger gossip.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Jordan Shultz was just on local PHX radio (98.7FM) The report has been ready to drop for a while. The NBA and Suns were aware of it for some time given how quickly they responded.

- The report is coming from ESPN.
- 50-100 people were interviewed. Some are going on the record (names, etc)
- Shultz describes it as pretty damning, but it’s not his story and couldn’t release any specifics.

EDIT: interview up here…

https://arizonasports.com/story/2861912/jordan-schultz-further-details-expected-report-coming-on-suns-owner-robert-sarver

Last edited:

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Does any of this affect the Coyotes at all? Sometimes these spill over.

The biggest factor I can think of is that if Sarver is forced to sell, the new owner (who could be - but we don't really know - Alex Meruelo himself) is likely to be at least somewhat more friendly to the Coyotes, which could make using Footprint Center as a temporary home while the Tempe arena project (assuming it happens) gets built a little easier. I only say it's likely that the new owner would be at least somewhat more friendly to the Coyotes, because Sarver has been pretty hostile to the Coyotes, so it's not like it can get any worse.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
The biggest factor I can think of is that if Sarver is forced to sell, the new owner (who could be - but we don't really know - Alex Meruelo himself) is likely to be at least somewhat more friendly to the Coyotes, which could make using Footprint Center as a temporary home while the Tempe arena project (assuming it happens) gets built a little easier. I only say it's likely that the new owner would be at least somewhat more friendly to the Coyotes, because Sarver has been pretty hostile to the Coyotes, so it's not like it can get any worse.

How funny would that be if AM is the one that decides to buy up the Suns. Reminds me of Entourage, and Ari Gold buying up TMA for cheap because of the scandal that Terrance was in.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Merulo had better buy the Suns and get a new stadium downtown. Way better than Tempe...

Huh? Tempe isn't that far from downtown, not to mention Tempe is already connected to the light rail(albeit this new location won't have the light rail, it's a little bit away), but it's a lot better than Glendale. Plus Tempe is in a better location to the East Valley fans than Downtown Phoenix actually is.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Wonder if he has the cash to do so. Weren't there reports last year some of his businesses suffered significant losses due to COVID? On top of that, its not like he actually makes money from owning the Coyotes.

Suns are valued at $1.7bn, his net worth is $2bn. Though he could just be majority owner and bring in partners I suppose.

Reactions: Summer Rose

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I think we're just scratching the surface of all these types of stories that are going to unfold amongst all the big league sports in North America.

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
wikipedia now has robert sarver DYING today, november 4th.

and yeah, the guy is unhinged and a racist/misogynist. was he under the influence?

Your old Jofa helmet

Oct 2, 2006
Toronto
Wait, so he chose a black guy with little experience over a white guy with enough relevant experience just because the first guy was black. That's the definition of racism

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad