Post-Game Talk: Sun., Apr. 13, 2014| Hurricanes 6 at Flyers 5 (SO)

Legion of Gloom

The Holy Ghost
Jun 20, 2013
Lake Titicaca
The only good thing about Heeter is his mask, hopefully no more more talk about him playing for us, he is not an NHL calibre goalie.

Akeson looked quite good.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
I'll admit they can be entertaining when we win, but it's not a way to decide who the better hockey team is. I've been skeptical about extending overtime, but another five minutes for 3v3 would be super exciting.

I'm not so much opposed to the shootout as I am to the volume. The 4-on-4 is generally exciting but the length of time doesn't decide enough games. The Board of Governors could propose a 10-minute OT, the PA would likely deny, then perhaps a compromise to 7 minutes could be attained and see if that reduces the amount of games headed to a shootout.

Doors

Jan 13, 2014
Sweden
Very entertaining game, or well at least the last two periods. Thought we were gonna lose big time after the first.

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
Well, that was a fun game. Count me in on wanting to see Akeson in the lineup. He looks like he belongs here.

Legion of Gloom

The Holy Ghost
Jun 20, 2013
Lake Titicaca
I'm not so much opposed to the shootout as I am to the volume. The 4-on-4 is generally exciting but the length of time doesn't decide enough games. The Board of Governors could propose a 10-minute OT, the PA would likely deny, then perhaps a compromise to 7 minutes could be attained and see if that reduces the amount of games headed to a shootout.

Seven minutes would be a good compromise, they want to come up with new ways not to go to the shoot-out as often, just get rid of them and go back to the good old days when we had ties. it is more fun to watch two teams in your division tie and not worry anout them getting undeserved free points

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
It's a good thing Heeter won't be in the NHL long. I was dreading all the awful headline puns like "HEETER COOLED DOWN".

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
That was fun as hell to watch, the way it ended was kinda poop, though.. Easily the better team (obviously) but the loss doesn't mean anything so I'm fine with it, even though it's annoying that it went to the shootout.

Akeson looked great, if he gets scratched and Downie plays... I mean come on, there's no excuse for that.

Gill has been better than Grossmann, easily.

Other than a few questionable defensive plays Gus has been pretty good, I'd still like him to stay and have Amac replace where Gill was for the playoffs, but I'm sure that's not happening.

Hartnell is an idiot, if he costs us a game in the playoffs with stupid stuff like that... I don't think many will be surprised.

Heeter wasn't good but I'm not going to say he's horrible after his 1st NHL game... come on people, not everyone is perfect in their first games like Akeson. ;)

I love watching Couturier, Simmonds, Read, Voracek, and Giroux so much, such an entertaining group.

Best part was how they played during a game that was meaningless... they didn't mail it in, fought till the end, even in spite of the poor goaltending.

Bring on the playoffs!!!!!!

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I actually felt bad for Heeter after listening to the dudes interview but yeah we need to bring in an experienced backup with a good track record this summer via UFA.

It was only 1 game but he didn't exactly make many feel comfortable & I rather not take that gamble on him being able to handle the role at the NHL level next year.

Patrick Division

Jan 13, 2008
NJ
Akeson deserves a spot. Just look at how guys like Maroon prove their worth in the NHL. Akeson is a very talented player, and can be extremely useful if he's used correctly.

No reason to blow money on patch work players like Downie if we have a guy like Akeson ready to contribute. Bring in Laughton+Akeson next season, and this team's depth will be second to none.

This!!!! So Much!!! Thank You!!!

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Seven minutes would be a good compromise, they want to come up with new ways not to go to the shoot-out as often, just get rid of them and go back to the good old days when we had ties. it is more fun to watch two teams in your division tie and not worry anout them getting undeserved free points

I doubt the return of ties could ever be justified especially in this generation. Part of the reason the NHL went to shootouts was to maximize exposure of its star players and enhance the image of the game through what is perceived as skill. The ESPNs and local sports broadcasts could concentrate and condense its highlights of a game to the game's brightest young stars coming in on a breakaway and scoring. A hit or a key play that viewers acquainted with the game praise wouldn't necessarily gather that marketing the NHL desires. A shootout goal shown in highlights, however, by one of the game's top talents on a Tuesday night in December? That's a touchdown!

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Akeson looked great...

Honestly, it probably won't happen, but it'd be awesome if Akeson, Laughton, Gostisbehere, and Morin were ready to contribute in a big way out of camp. I know it won't happen, and it's more likely that none make the team, but we could be looking slowly at what our core is shaping into...

Hartnell - Giroux - Voracek
Raffl - Schenn - Simmonds
Akeson - Couturier - Read
McGinn - Lecavalier - Laughton
Rinaldo

Streit - Coburn
Gustafsson - Schenn
Gostisbehere - Morin
Lauridsen

Mason
Emery

Ah, pipe dreams always look so pretty.

bauerhockey02

Mar 15, 2009
I was at the game and Heeter wasn't good in the beginning but after he seemed to relax in the second he did much better. I also read a statistic during intermission that said Bernie Parent let in 4 goals on his first 11 shots against. Now I am not saying that Heeter will be anything close to Parent but people shouldn't be calling for Emery to go in just because he was shaky in the beginning of his first NHL game. Some of the goals were also due to poor defensive play by the other players and I really couldn't imagine Emery having done much better in todays game.

If it was down to Emery or Heeter next year I would choose Heeter. That said I would rather have someone else entirely next season and would be okay with Heeter being let go.

Let's be real, Heeter isn't Gibson. I came into this game thinking 2 or 3 goals against would have been a solid game while 4 goals against would have been an average performance for Heeter in his first ever NHL game. He improved as the game went on and the 5th goal was bad luck that could happen to any goalie.

I was also impressed with Akeson's game and would like to see him playing over Downie moving forward. Plus he is a point per game player :sarcasm:

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
"Berube liked Akeson's play; reiterated he is considering him in playoffs."

Next to Couturier and Read, I'm not too concerned about him being a defensive liability. My biggest concern is how small that line is on the wings.

If Akeson's ability to pass the puck opens up space, because that's what that line is lacking, creates more chances than Downie's physicality, I'm all for it.

The concern though is placing Akeson in that position against other opponents' top lines.

I think Laughton would be better suited for that role.

Maybe use Akeson as a foil for Lecavalier on the 4th line.

bauerhockey02

Mar 15, 2009
Gotta shake things up, I suppose. I imagine that means no Rinaldo if he gets the nod? Or is Downie on the chopping block?

Just speculation but I expect no Downie. I really don't think the coaching staff or some of the players were too happy with Downie's play in his last game.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
I'm a very big believer in Akeson. I've watched him a ton over the last few years and I'm shocked he hasn't gotten a legit shot to date. I hope he does get the opportunity now but honestly it should have been during the regular season. Throwing him into a PO battle when he has all of 2 NHL games under his belt, and having him play against the oppositions top players to boot, is pretty crazy. Nonetheless I want to see it.

Something that goes unmentioned, that we all got to see today, is his pk ability. He was on ADKs top unit for two years now. He's gotten a little less time on it this year though. I mean he's obviously not beating out Raffl, Read, Couts or Hall for a pk forward spot but I'd bet he'd be the team's next best option if they want to save G as they have been this season.

Gotta shake things up, I suppose. I imagine that means no Rinaldo if he gets the nod? Or is Downie on the chopping block?

I can't imagine Zac not playing. I would say over McGinn/Downie/Rosehill IF he gets the go ahead.

bauerhockey02

Mar 15, 2009
I'm a very big believer in Akeson. I've watched him a ton over the last few years and I'm shocked he hasn't gotten a legit shot to date. I hope he does get the opportunity now but honestly it should have been during the regular season. Throwing him into a PO battle when he has all of 2 NHL games under his belt, and having him play against the oppositions top players to boot, is pretty crazy. Nonetheless I want to see it.

Something that goes unmentioned, that we all got to see today, is his pk ability. He was on ADKs top unit for two years now. He's gotten a little less time on it this year though. I mean he's obviously not beating out Raffl, Read, Couts or Hall for a pk forward spot but I'd bet he'd be the team's next best option if they want to save G as they have been this season.

I can't imagine Zac not playing. I would say over McGinn/Downie/Rosehill IF he gets the go ahead.

I was surprised to see him on the PK since I thought his defensive ability is what was holding him back. He looked fine out there today though.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I was surprised to see him on the PK since I thought his defensive ability is what was holding him back. He looked fine out there today though.

Killing penalties is not exclusive to defensive ability, only part of it.

Excellent display of character coming back down 4-1 and tying the game 5-5 with 10 seconds left. Could have packed it in and said '**** this' but didn't.

The wait for Hartnell now, as he did one of the all time dumb things in recent memory

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia

PK and ES are different beasts. Though IMO his ES struggles are blown out of proportion. He's on the worst team in the league, they've been horrible for years now. There's a reason Hagg is pretty much the team's only plus player. :laugh:

bauerhockey02

Mar 15, 2009
True but he didn't seem bad defensively at even strength either haha. Overall he looked like someone I want over Downie if you are looking at their overall games.

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
Akeson looked great...

Honestly, it probably won't happen, but it'd be awesome if Akeson, Laughton, Gostisbehere, and Morin were ready to contribute in a big way out of camp. I know it won't happen, and it's more likely that none make the team, but we could be looking slowly at what our core is shaping into...

Hartnell - Giroux - Voracek
Raffl - Schenn - Simmonds
Akeson - Couturier - Read
McGinn - Lecavalier - Laughton
Rinaldo

Streit - Coburn
Gustafsson - Schenn
Gostisbehere - Morin
Lauridsen

Mason
Emery

Ah, pipe dreams always look so pretty.

That left wing depth is atrocious, it would solve a lot if Schenn could convert.

Defense looks good, although I think we'll be waiting awhile for Morin. Probably hang on to MacD in the meantime.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad