Transfer: Summer Transfers part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
According to Mirror, Harry Maguire is "confident" that "he will be in red" when Leicester play United on opening day. He would definitely be a solid addition.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I hope so. He doesn’t scream top quality player to me, but he’s the kinda player that would mesh well with Bailly.
Agreed. If we got him, Fred, a good RW, and a good LB, it would be a perfect window. If we only get him and Fred that would be an okay window unless Shaw really is ready to take that LB spot and Lingard isn't a fluke and is great this season.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Agreed. If we got him, Fred, a good RW, and a good LB, it would be a perfect window. If we only get him and Fred that would be an okay window unless Shaw really is ready to take that LB spot and Lingard isn't a fluke and is great this season.

I think Macguire is the kinda guy who’s perfect for someone like Everton. Just don’t know if he’s good enough for top level soccer. But he has ability on the ball which is a perfect foil for Bailly.

Shaw I’m kinda split on. Obviously the potential is/was there but he really didn’t take care of himself after the injury. He’s still young so I could see him still turning into a solid LB if he really applies himself and puts in the work. We’ll see.

As far as RW goes, I’d just get Perisic and call it a window. Solid player who can play all across the attack and would fit Mou’s system well. Just stay away from Rebic. He’s good but I’m extremely hesitant on him.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I think Macguire is the kinda guy who’s perfect for someone like Everton. Just don’t know if he’s good enough for top level soccer. But he has ability on the ball which is a perfect foil for Bailly.

Shaw I’m kinda split on. Obviously the potential is/was there but he really didn’t take care of himself after the injury. He’s still young so I could see him still turning into a solid LB if he really applies himself and puts in the work. We’ll see.

As far as RW goes, I’d just get Perisic and call it a window. Solid player who can play all across the attack and would fit Mou’s system well. Just stay away from Rebic. He’s good but I’m extremely hesitant on him.
I agree about Maguire and Shaw entirely. And Perisic, he would be a good player especially with his crossing ability. I really wish we would have gotten Lemar. I like Rebic actually. I just don't know if he is good enough for United yet.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Just saw the little documentary on Alphonso Davies. Was a bit of a fan already simply because of him being a Canadian at Bayern, but man, what a story, and what a humble and positive character that showed. His Whitecaps team seems beyond happy for his big move, as well, retweeting Bayern announcements and photos, just proud of the kid. Heartwarming.

He looks somewhat similar to Coman in terms of his playing style, although we'll obviously have to wait and see how he translates that to a top Euro league, and whether he manages to keep developing. Really happy to have him.

Reactions: Hadoop

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Just saw the little documentary on Alphonso Davies. Was a bit of a fan already simply because of him being a Canadian at Bayern, but man, what a story, and what a humble and positive character that showed. His Whitecaps team seems beyond happy for his big move, as well, retweeting Bayern announcements and photos, just proud of the kid. Heartwarming.

He looks somewhat similar to Coman in terms of his playing style, although we'll obviously have to wait and see how he translates that to a top Euro league, and whether he manages to keep developing. Really happy to have him.
He's a fantastic prospect. Also very mature for his age. He was actually leading the MLS in assists at one point this season if I'm remembering correctly. I think Coman is a good comparison. It will be interesting to follow his development. I think that it will be much different than Larin, Altidore, etc. and much more like Pulisic (much closer in age). I don't know if Davies can be as good as Pulisic but he's definitely one to follow in the coming years. If Bayern loan him out either to Netherlands, Belgium, Bundesliga 2, or some other team that isn't England where he will get consistent playing time, he will probably end up being great. He is such a resilient kid. The Whitecaps MLS team is barer than the Canucks in terms of talent. Davies is really it for them. He has been carrying that team and it will be interesting to see how they end up after this. They HAVE to sign someone to replace him.

Reactions: Vipers31

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I agree about Maguire and Shaw entirely. And Perisic, he would be a good player especially with his crossing ability. I really wish we would have gotten Lemar. I like Rebic actually. I just don't know if he is good enough for United yet.

Rebic is already 24 so I don’t think he ever will be really. Solid player that’s just not quite gonna cut it at a top side.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
He's a fantastic prospect. Also very mature for his age. He was actually leading the MLS in assists at one point this season if I'm remembering correctly. I think Coman is a good comparison. It will be interesting to follow his development. I think that it will be much different than Larin, Altidore, etc. and much more like Pulisic (much closer in age). I don't know if Davies can be as good as Pulisic but he's definitely one to follow in the coming years. If Bayern loan him out either to Netherlands, Belgium, Bundesliga 2, or some other team that isn't England where he will get consistent playing time, he will probably end up being great. He is such a resilient kid. The Whitecaps MLS team is barer than the Canucks in terms of talent. Davies is really it for them. He has been carrying that team and it will be interesting to see how they end up after this. They HAVE to sign someone to replace him.
Thanks for the insight. Seems like a great fit that he gets to play another half year with Vancouver and coming here towards the winter break. I imagine we'll keep him around the club for half a year, to let him get to know the club, assess him more in detail, and maybe even have him play both in the 2nd team and occasionally the 1st team, and then look for the right fit for a loan in the summer.

Juve

May 13, 2011
Somewhere around the world

I don't want that traitor back.

@les Habs
Do you happen to know if the deal is fully confirmed? Do you happen to happen to have a scouting report on this player? I'd understand if you don't, he is quite young.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
What's the honest guess for Hazard's reaction here when Courtois leaves and Chelsea replaces him with someone worse?

Fulham

Jan 6, 2015

Davies has every ingredient to be a top top player. Outside of his obvious skills and elite speed/power, he is relentless, and versatile. He's played at striker both wings, CAM, LM, CM, and even at LB for the caps. He's extremely defensively responsible, and wins tons of balls back deep in his own half. The germans will love his mentality and grit.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
A transfer request

Would be nice.

It's way too quiet with Madrid, they have to know they need a major move if they want to compete next year, in anything.
Courtois is a start for the re-tool but he doesn't win them any championships next season.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Rebic is already 24 so I don’t think he ever will be really. Solid player that’s just not quite gonna cut it at a top side.

Nobody knows at this point though. At 20, he was the next big thing in Croatia.
He then moved to Fiorentina/Leipzig and his career took a down turn, he stopped developing as a player etc.
Then he came to Eintracht under Kovac and slowly he started getting it back on track, then started rapidly improving.

The best thing about him is that Rebic of 17-18 is a miles better player than Rebic of 16-17 (who in turn is worlds better than Rebic of 15-16).

I wouldn't bet my house on him being a star or putting it all together to play for a top, top team...
But at this point, I wouldn't bet against him either.

Bundesliga is great for developing players, but it's also a tough competition, he had a seriously impressive season at Frankfurt, his WC aside.

I'll say it like this... If I could pick Rashford, Martial or Rebic to start for Croatia, I'd start Rebic, every time - long term and now.
But that doesn't necessarily mean any of them are good enough (or will be good enough) to start for a serious CL-contender.

Last edited:

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Spending 50mil on Perišić and then playing him out of his position (LW) would be such a waste.

I think Mou would play him in a 4-3-3 with Lukaku and Sanchez up front. Similar to what he played at Inter with Candreva and Icardi.
Mind you, once Spaletti moved Brozovic into a regista role, Inter started doing more of a 4-2-3-1, and is the likely setup for this season (unless they get Vidal).

At this point though, I don't see Inter selling... They're trying for a RB (Vrsaljko, if they can't get him, Darmian) and a CM (Vidal looking likely).
They have a top-notch CB pairing, and would have just overall a very good, balanced team if they get those two. Any team that draws them in their group should be worried (they're in pot 4 btw).

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016

Sounds like you think United need more left wingers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad