Transfer: Summer Transfer news and rumors discussion part 8: Messi stays, grudgingly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Jorginho is brutally underrated at this point, and by Chelsea fans more than anyone.
You've accused me of being too hard on him before, so I can't believe I'm the one defending him in this thread. :laugh:

I've always said he's talented and great at what he does, but I don't think he's a good fit playing deep for Lampard. I was much more impressed with him after the break when he was tasked with pressing up the pitch more.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Arsenal should be demanding the world here

Not sure about that, but they aren't in a position where they have to give him away that's for sure.

It comes out cheaper due to the new tax law. Even though Suarez is no longer in his prime and fat, he's still ten times the player Higuain is.

Hopefully the club will get something out of this as they did with Rakitic, but then Suarez's wages are notably higher. I'm fine with the Rakitic deal pending the variables and I'd be fine with something similar for Suarez.

THere's an agreement for Suarez with Juve. They're just waiting for him to negotiate an exit with barca.

Vidal looks closer to inter.

Whoops beaten to it.

I'd hope to get a little more for Vidal. Again, not a lot, but the interest seems to have been there for a while. Either way his is another salary it'll be good to get rid of.

• Apparently Bartomeu will try and convince Messi's father to stay and even offer him a new deal until 2022.
  • Eric Garcia has been quoted as saying City knows he's not renewing.
  • Monchu, Collado, Oriol Busquets and Miranda all apparently have suitors and could be sold. It's very frustrating if that is the case as they haven't had a chance. What's more with the squad bleeding players we'll need to make up the numbers and even if some are squad players that's fine. Really think Monchu should get a chance.
  • I don't buy it, but Sport reporting that Ajax will be in for Suarez.
  • Braithwaite has said he never asked for the #10 shirt and basically said people are nuts to believe such a thing.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Not surprised by Braithwaite it will from goal and it was a stupid comment to make. No player would say such a thing when the numberer isn't even available.

Agreed on Monchu how can he get CL mins then be sold off. So stupid. If they sell those guys who will be on the bench? Mateo or Bart?

Reactions: les Habs

Juve

May 13, 2011
Somewhere around the world

My prayers have been answered!!!!!

seinfeld-happy-dance-Jerry-seinfeld-Elaine-George-Costanza.gif

Last edited:

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
This Wijnaldum deal is going to be a first for me. First time I got attached to a player for winning so much and them leaving for a new challenge while we bring in a new player who has won nearly everything and wants a new challenge. Not sure why anyone signed Pjanic though because I'd pick Wijnaldum over him every single match.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

LFC gonna bend us over again. I guess Bart likes it.

This Wijnaldum deal is going to be a first for me. First time I got attached to a player for winning so much and them leaving for a new challenge while we bring in a new player who has won nearly everything and wants a new challenge. Not sure why anyone signed Pjanic though because I'd pick Wijnaldum over him every single match.

One of those why not neither cases.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

Havertz to Chelsea is official, they are preparing the formal announcement. Probably waiting for him to finish international duty here.

Reactions: bleedblue1223

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
One of those why not neither cases.

I find this disrespect to Wijnaldum kind of weird coming from Barcelona, given he absolutely tore them apart and has been a key piece in an historic side, but eh.

Also I don't think it's either or; I think Pjanic and Wijnaldum will probably play together with de Jong behind them.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
He’s 30, he will take minutes away from younger players. His style isn’t the same. He’s 30, barca aren’t winning anything any time soon. He’s 30.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
He’s 30, he will take minutes away from younger players. His style isn’t the same. He’s 30, barca aren’t winning anything any time soon. He’s 30.
What do you mean his style isn't the same? What does being 30 have to do with anything? Milner was a key piece of an historic CL and PL winning side at 33/34. Many elite players can play into their mid 30s at a high level. You aren't just going to throw an academy on the field.

The age obsession is weird. An elite player is still an elite player whether they're 25 or 35. He's going to be a bridge player for Barca, a top leader and professional as well.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland

I completely agree the age would be an issue for me. Partially whey I'm not so key in keeping him if he really wants to go. His game right now is a lot of physicality, and if that ever dries up, I'm not sure he fits the same. He's a really good footballer, and his loss will hurt, but not if they can keep other guys fit.

As for how he plays, I think he can fit what Koeman will want to do. Whether that's how Barca will play, or should play, that's a better question. For the Netherlands, he (Wijnaldum) plays much different than Klopp wants. Which is different from how he played for Newcastle. He's very adaptable, and I think his style can fit others.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
What do you mean his style isn't the same? What does being 30 have to do with anything? Milner was a key piece of an historic CL and PL winning side at 33/34. Many elite players can play into their mid 30s at a high level. You aren't just going to throw an academy on the field.
He doesn’t play the barca way. He would be like a Paulinho or vidal signing. So Milner found a niche as a jack of all trades on a team that prides itself on out working the opponent. Yes barca should throw money they don’t have in hopes he can be serviceable aged 33 when they’re competing again. Damn fine management. You and bart would do wonders for a club.

Reactions: Evilo

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I completely agree the age would be an issue for me. Partially whey I'm not so key in keeping him if he really wants to go. His game right now is a lot of physicality, and if that ever dries up, I'm not sure he fits the same. He's a really good footballer, and his loss will hurt, but not if they can keep other guys fit.

As for how he plays, I think he can fit what Koeman will want to do. Whether that's how Barca will play, or should play, that's a better question. For the Netherlands, he (Wijnaldum) plays much different than Klopp wants. Which is different from how he played for Newcastle. He's very adaptable, and I think his style can fit others.
I’ll go right ahead and say it... Koeman isn’t coaching this team in 12 months.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto

The age obsession is weird. An elite player is still an elite player whether they're 25 or 35. He's going to be a bridge player for Barca, a top leader and professional as well.

The age obsession is because Barca's problem is that all their key pieces are north of 30 except for De Jong and Ter Stegen and they don't really seem to have a long term plan, so it would've made far more sense to invest in a younger midfielder rather than double down on the short term-ism that's gotten them here. Wijnaldum is good (and Barca fans of all people should recognize this, I agree), but I think it's strange that they would be going for a 30 year old midfielder.

Reactions: Stray Wasp
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad