OT: Summer is waning. Time to Fall into the abyss of posts with poor grammar and insipid vocabulary.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
Wagon retrieved. It was a stupid meth-head, his mom was pretty unhappy and he started out really aggressive. Took a whilecto get in the building anz I could see him running around and moving stuff out to the balcony.

We said we'd wait outside the storage and just wanted to get it back. Then he asked "do you mean the green wagon?" 😹

Heard some screaming and stuff being thrown around while we waited and was nervous he'd come out again with a knife but instead he came down and gave back the wagon.
"how about you just bring all the wagons you stole and I'll tell you which one it is"

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I love a happy ending. You did good.
A281A882-321D-4B7C-9B22-B850FBD27579.jpeg

The wagon is now named Särimner as it came back. The meth-head did not give us the complimentary snack, I was pretty hungry afterwards since I went with a hangry approach for a +2D6 on my intimidation roll (ended up going with a low arousal approach anyway).

Last edited:

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
"how about you just bring all the wagons you stole and I'll tell you which one it is"
I'll go back there next week and ask for my TV and when he asks if it's the black one I'll just go "yup"
He had A LOT of stuff in that unit.

A neighbour told me he used to hide stolen bicycles under the stairs of the apartment building but it became too obvious after a while. Another guy had already lost three bikes to this neighbourhood menace.

Problem is that if you don't permanently mark your stuff and have photos of the markings you can't get it back via the police and taking it back yourself is a crime...

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
I'll go back there next week and ask for my TV and when he asks if it's the black one I'll just go "yup"
He had A LOT of stuff in that unit.

A neighbour told me he used to hide stolen bicycles under the stairs of the apartment building but it became too obvious after a while. Another guy had already lost three bikes to this neighbourhood menace.

Problem is that if you don't permanently mark your stuff and have photos of the markings you can't get it back via the police and taking it back yourself is a crime...
So take photos pissing on all your things, sure the police will love to see that.

Reactions: HaNotsri

Butt Ox

Oct 24, 2006
Luddite Island
View attachment 618328
The wagon is now named Särimner as it came back. The meth-head did not give us the complimentary snack, I was pretty hungry afterwards since I went with a hangry approach for a +2D6 on my intimidation roll (ended up going with a low arousal approach anyway).
That's a proper cart. Tanngnjóstr and Tanngrisnir would be proud to pull that.

Mike McDermott

blah blah blah
Apr 23, 2006
Lockport
Just finished the two parts of my Statistics final online. I had until Friday at 11:59pm to complete them but didn’t want to have to worry about it during the work week and they were available to take starting yesterday. While my final grade has a few things that need to be factored in still, including the two parts of the final, which both have good grades, based on my currently listed grade I’m confident I’ll finish with an A. Now to enjoy not having school stuff until mid January when I take Western Civ I and Principles of Management.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Got a "please revise and resubmit" request from an agent on my kid's book this morning. The suggested revisions are substantial - basically add 50-100% to length, change the character's age, etc, but it wasn't a rejection, so that's something. Now I just need to remember how to write.
My uncle was asked to write a book for an ongoing series and got the feedback "we love it, could we maybe keep the book the same but change the story? Everything else should be the same but just with a different story."

He changed the names (but added that the main character writes a book for the series and receives said feedback) and released it. He used his regular publisher and got sued by the idiot publisher, but they settled with him not using the original book series name in marketing...

• Haha
Reactions: TheMistyStranger

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
My uncle was asked to write a book for an ongoing series and got the feedback "we love it, could we maybe keep the book the same but change the story? Everything else should be the same but just with a different story."

He changed the names (but added that the main character writes a book for the series and receives said feedback) and released it. He used his regular publisher and got sued by the idiot publisher, but they settled with him not using the original book series name in marketing...

Sounds like the publishing industry

Reactions: HaNotsri

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Just finished the two parts of my Statistics final online. I had until Friday at 11:59pm to complete them but didn’t want to have to worry about it during the work week and they were available to take starting yesterday. While my final grade has a few things that need to be factored in still, including the two parts of the final, which both have good grades, based on my currently listed grade I’m confident I’ll finish with an A. Now to enjoy not having school stuff until mid January when I take Western Civ I and Principles of Management.

I remember taking Western Civ I but it was the '80's. Our prof used to try to shock people and did a great job of offending the rugby team by comparing Spartans to rugby players in armor... who played (fought) harder because they were fighting with their lover beside them. THAT made a bunch of the rugby team very upset.

• Wow
Reactions: TheMistyStranger

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Grant was a year older than me and just a wonderful person and sportswriter.

He is one of those people that was a joy to talk to when I had the chance and the world is a little bit of a lesser place because he is no longer here.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I remember taking Western Civ I but it was the '80's. Our prof used to try to shock people and did a great job of offending the rugby team by comparing Spartans to rugby players in armor... who played (fought) harder because they were fighting with their lover beside them. THAT made a bunch of the rugby team very upset.
Continuing the theme:
In the late-80s, the school I attended formed both mens and womens rugby club teams. My classmates were founders of both squads. In addition to our collegiate mascot nickname, the womens team adopted the slogan "dykes on spikes". While I clearly recall straight women outnumbered lesbians, they nonetheless unanimously embraced (pun intended) the moniker, regardless of orientation.

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA

Grant was a year older than me and just a wonderful person and sportswriter.

He is one of those people that was a joy to talk to when I had the chance and the world is a little bit of a lesser place because he is no longer here.
Any news on what happened to him?

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Got a "please revise and resubmit" request from an agent on my kid's book this morning. The suggested revisions are substantial - basically add 50-100% to length, change the character's age, etc, but it wasn't a rejection, so that's something. Now I just need to remember how to write.

It feels so word to intentionally balloon the word count on a kid's book. Kidlit is pretty notorious for having to be tight and sharp, with no extra words, and yet here we are. I got about 275 added today between the first couple of pages. It's gonna be a struggle, though. I really want to stick with the 10 chapter format, as it's a nice number for the target age, and it's a nice template, as this is the first book in a series.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Any news on what happened to him?
The only news I've seen is that he had been under the weather, likely from working so much and not getting sleep, he was sick, went to the medical facilities there, was diagnosed with bronchitis, he was given medicine, and was feeling better.

Went back in time to when I had the pleasure to talk to Grant about his run for FIFA President.

Last edited:
Reactions: oldgoalie

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The big thing for me this week is my last exam for Greek 1.

This has been far and away the most stressful class for me yet. And thank God the professor has been one of my favorites and made it as easy as possible.

Last edited:

Mike McDermott

blah blah blah
Apr 23, 2006
Lockport
I love my kids to no end but man am I glad I only had 2 and that they have a decent gap between them.

My daughter had a sleepover last night so I have an additional 3 9/10 year old girls in my house since dinner time last night and will for about another hour. To say my house has been crazy is an understatement. And things will be calm for a few hours and then my side of the family will be here for a Christmas get together for dinner and I imagine a lot will stick around to watch the Bills game.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I love my kids to no end but man am I glad I only had 2 and that they have a decent gap between them.

My daughter had a sleepover last night so I have an additional 3 9/10 year old girls in my house since dinner time last night and will for about another hour. To say my house has been crazy is an understatement. And things will be calm for a few hours and then my side of the family will be here for a Christmas get together for dinner and I imagine a lot will stick around to watch the Bills game.

That may qualify for sainthood.

My younger one is in her junior year of HS. The other day she tells me a tail about one of the underclassmen she has gathered in her little flock who got pushed down a flight of stairs... by her own father. Suffice to say, I let her know that if her friend needs somewhere to go to be safe, we have space.

Mike McDermott

blah blah blah
Apr 23, 2006
Lockport
That may qualify for sainthood.

My younger one is in her junior year of HS. The other day she tells me a tail about one of the underclassmen she has gathered in her little flock who got pushed down a flight of stairs... by her own father. Suffice to say, I let her know that if her friend needs somewhere to go to be safe, we have space.
That is horrible. For my son when he was my daughters age and his early teens as well as now for my daughter my house tends to be the gathering place. I don’t mind it though. I like being the house kids like being at because I know that they do it because they feel safe, and well always having plenty of stuff to eat/snacks doesn’t hurt either.

When we still lived in Kenmore and it was the summer before my son went into 8th grade it wasn’t uncommon for 2-4 of his friends to be at my house/general area from mid afternoon until well after dinner.

Not because any of them had situations like what you just described, they just either had parents who worked odd hours or as his friends use to put it “you actually know how to cook and keep better snacks in your house”. :laugh:

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
That is horrible. For my son when he was my daughters age and his early teens as well as now for my daughter my house tends to be the gathering place. I don’t mind it though. I like being the house kids like being at because I know that they do it because they feel safe, and well always having plenty of stuff to eat/snacks doesn’t hurt either.

When we still lived in Kenmore and it was the summer before my son went into 8th grade it wasn’t uncommon for 2-4 of his friends to be at my house/general area from mid afternoon until well after dinner.

Not because any of them had situations like what you just described, they just either had parents who worked odd hours or as his friends use to put it “you actually know how to cook and keep better snacks in your house”. :laugh:

My kids are pretty close in age so they sort of share a friend group locally. I have been told directly and have overheard that I am considered "the cool parent" because of not just letting them hang out but that I talk to them like they are people. I had one of their friends pop downstairs to make breakfast after a movie binge over-nighter and she proceeds to tell me that doing this at my ex's always results in everyone being hungry because she will only make them a small amount of food. I think I had two pounds of bacon in the oven and a triple batch of homemade waffles about half done when she popped in. She then helped me finish meal prep by handling service. I'm still amused by the "everyone is always hungry there" comment in reference to my ex.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad