Speculation: Summer buyout candidates

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
The Sens will buyout Hamonic for sure. 1 year $1 million remaining, he is so done, would probably struggle in the AHL.
I think they also buy out Forsberg, 1 year $3.2 million.
Here's why they won't buy out Korpisalo: they won't want to be paying him for 8 years, even if it only $1.3 mil per year. Give him another year, in a tandem with a new goalie partner (hopefully Saros, Ullmark, or Markstrom). He has played better lately. His career has been alternating good years and bad years. Maybe he'll play average or above average next season, then bad the next year, buy him out then, it's only 4 years. If he sucks next season, the buyout is 6 years.

• Haha
Reactions: LeafChief

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Just like last year when he played well in a contract year PLD has realized he is under 26 and maybe a buyout candidate, he'll revert back to his lazy self after his 26th b day.

He’s had one good playoffs, as well, if I remember correctly.

Diva’d his way outta multiple cities and into a fat contract, and he’s put together 3 stretches of solid play, basically. Let’s ignore the entirety of his career and being as a person, he’s had a good 11 games.

LAK should jump on this in the offseason, dude just does not have the heart.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
The Sens will buyout Hamonic for sure. 1 year $1 million remaining, he is so done, would probably struggle in the AHL.
I think they also buy out Forsberg, 1 year $3.2 million.
Here's why they won't buy out Korpisalo: they won't want to be paying him for 8 years, even if it only $1.3 mil per year. Give him another year, in a tandem with a new goalie partner (hopefully Saros, Ullmark, or Markstrom). He has played better lately. His career has been alternating good years and bad years. Maybe he'll play average or above average next season, then bad the next year, buy him out then, it's only 4 years. If he sucks next season, the buyout is 6 years.
I think the sens make a hockey trade and send Hamonic back to the other team for "cap reasons"

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
I think the sens make a hockey trade and send Hamonic back to the other team for "cap reasons"
Hamonic has a no-movement clause. He wants to live in Canada, where he can easily fly directly to Winnipeg. Perhaps he's waive for another Canadian team.

But why bother paying for a team to take his contract? The buyout is practically nothing: $333,333 per year for 2 years.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Hamonic has a no-movement clause. He wants to live in Canada, where he can easily fly directly to Winnipeg. Perhaps he's waive for another Canadian team.

But why bother paying for a team to take his contract? The buyout is practically nothing: $333,333 per year for 2 years.
Ahh didn't realize he had a NMC.

It wouldn't really be paying for a team to take him, he's just thrown in because, but with the NMC he wouldn't waive to go somewhere else, except maybe Winnipeg who wouldn't want him

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
From Detroit I can see Holl getting bought out, maybe.
Probably a better chance they find a taker in a trade. They’d save what? $2 million? Think we’re more likely to see Husso bought out, than anyone else. They’d save over $3 million doing so, and he only has the one year. I’ve seen a couple people say Petry, but honestly why? You only save under a million. Jeff Petry at $2.3 is still a value contract, and he’s a great partner for Edvinsson, no matter what some fans think.

Good bet they can trade both Walman and Holl. Even if they retain a million on Holl. Someone will trade for him. So you’d save over $2 million retaining the million, but only for the two years, rather than his buyout on the books for four years. He hasn’t been atrocious or anything, and could’ve played a full season with several teams. The Wings are just very deep with mid-grade dmen, and he’s the one who offers the least. That’s why he sits.

So yea, I’d guess they’d buyout Husso before anyone else. Obviously depending on a replacement.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I think it's almost a foregone conclusion that Hamonic and Forsberg are going to get bought out for < $1.4 million combined over the next two seasons.

The only other Senator at risk is Korpisalo and I think that could still go either way. The interesting wrinkle with him is that his cap hit would be fairly low for the next two season before jumping up for the last six years of the buyout. Keeps the overall dead cap number palatable (despite 3 buyouts on the books) for the next two seasons and then when Korpi's buyout # spikes the other two guys come off the books completely. It would depend entirely on how they plan on rebuilding the goaltending position, but cap wise it's a bit of a get out of jail free card with the cap likely going up considerably over the length of the buyout.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Probably a better chance they find a taker in a trade. They’d save what? $2 million? Think we’re more likely to see Husso bought out, than anyone else. They’d save over $3 million doing so, and he only has the one year. I’ve seen a couple people say Petry, but honestly why? You only save under a million. Jeff Petry at $2.3 is still a value contract, and he’s a great partner for Edvinsson, no matter what some fans think.

Good bet they can trade both Walman and Holl. Even if they retain a million on Holl. Someone will trade for him. So you’d save over $2 million retaining the million, but only for the two years, rather than his buyout on the books for four years. He hasn’t been atrocious or anything, and could’ve played a full season with several teams. The Wings are just very deep with mid-grade dmen, and he’s the one who offers the least. That’s why he sits.

So yea, I’d guess they’d buyout Husso before anyone else. Obviously depending on a replacement.
Petry is a terrible partner for anyone in the NHL. Petry and league minimum is too much.

Petry is a press box player at best

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Jack Campbell should definitely be bought out. The Oilers gave him as much opportunity as they could and he was just bad from the start.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Jack Campbell should definitely be bought out. The Oilers gave him as much opportunity as they could and he was just bad from the start.
He will 100% be bought out. The cost to trade him would be too taxing. The Oilers also don't have a 1st round pick this offseason.

Snowwy

Jan 29, 2006
I can’t imagine Holl is around next season. His NHL career is over IMO

Really intrigued to see what happens with PLD as well
I thought I read only a few months ago from someone that the Holl "signed for exactly what he was) meant to"

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I thought I read only a few months ago from someone that the Holl "signed for exactly what he was) meant to"

Correct he was signed to be the #6D, which he was then.

He’s since dropped down to #7, and we Have a ton of prospects to make room for, hence the buyout

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Ilya Mikheyev is a possible candidate. He has not been the same player since his knee injury and the offense has dried up.

He is due $4.75m over the next two seasons and holds a NTC.

A buyout would save the Canucks $3.6M in 24-25, $2.6M in 25-26—and then cost them $1.55M in each of 26-27 and 27-28.

That money could be vital if the Canucks want to re-sign Joshua, or if they choose to chase a premium UFA winger like Guentzel or Reinhart.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Are any of these teams in a position where trading a draft pick to get rid of cap is better than a buyout?

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021

Justin Holl to Blackhawks for 2026 2nd rd pick.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
He’s had one good playoffs, as well, if I remember correctly.

Diva’d his way outta multiple cities and into a fat contract, and he’s put together 3 stretches of solid play, basically. Let’s ignore the entirety of his career and being as a person, he’s had a good 11 games.

LAK should jump on this in the offseason, dude just does not have the heart.

He's also just a giant liability

it's one thing to put up points

but whether he's scoring or not he's bleeding goals by being a terrible defensive C despite getting the softest minutes on the team and it's not even close

When your A game is get a couple of points and break even and your B game is do nothing and be -3 there's nothing to be salvaged

Dude might be a good W when being carried--he's a big body with good hands and good vision to make ozone plays--but he's an awful C and not a line driver. You can't just hang onto him and pray.

Someone earlier asked about Kings' ownership's willingness to actually do so and while Blake has been absolutely burning their checkbook my thoughts are they've stopped him from making moves since the TM canning (see: inactive deadline) and will be cleaning house this offseason if this team doesn't perform. IF that happens--I can't imagine a new GM happy to inherit PLD and I imagine AEG will at least let them start with a clean slate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad