Speculation: Summer buyout candidates

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Who might be on the chopping block this summer? Any unexpected names like Duchene last year?

In the crease Campbell feels like a certainty and maybe Husso, also wonder if Ottawa decides to cut bait with Korpisalo already

On D I feel like Holl and Schmidt are pretty good bets

Thought Armia was getting put out to pasture this summer but he's played his way out of that conversation, Josh Anderson however...

Could the Kings actually buyout PLD since this is their last chance at a 1/3 ratio? Also would have guessed Carolina would give Kotkaniemi one more year - but could he be gone so they have room to resign Guentzel and maybe some of their other UFAs?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I can’t imagine Holl is around next season. His NHL career is over IMO

Really intrigued to see what happens with PLD as well

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Campbell would make a lot of sense but watch him get bought out, sign for cheap and win the Vezina. I'm fine going forward with skinner and Rodrigue personally. Risky for sure but a 50-30 split could work.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Who might be on the chopping block this summer? Any unexpected names like Duchene last year?

In the crease Campbell feels like a certainty and maybe Husso, also wonder if Ottawa decides to cut bait with Korpisalo already

Thought Armia was getting put out to pasture this summer but he's played his way out of that conversation, Josh Anderson however...

Could the Kings actually buyout PLD since this is their last chance at a 1/3 ratio? Also would have guessed Carolina would give Kotkaniemi one more year - but could he be gone so they have room to resign Guentzel and maybe some of their other UFAs?
No need to buy out either Armia or Anderson. They're not out of the rebuild. Armia has a year left. He'll be TDL fodder next year. Andy might get back to 20 goal pace. Even if he doesn't, they're not buying out three more years at $5.5 million. If a buyout is in his future, they'll wait another year. Otherwise, they'll eat half the contract and trade him or LTIRetirement him.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I can’t believe PLD costs $26 million for his buyout

Just thought it would be more with a few more strategically placed bonuses

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
No need to buy out either Armia or Anderson. They're not out of the rebuild. Armia has a year left. He'll be TDL fodder next year. Andy might get back to 20 goal pace. Even if he doesn't, they're not buying out three more years at $5.5 million. If a buyout is in his future, they'll wait another year. Otherwise, they'll eat half the contract and trade him or LTIRetirement him.
I highly doubt they'd buyout either but Anderson has looked straight up disinterested and like he's lost all confidence of late so that's more of the reason I wonder about him. Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up starting the year in Laval to try to give him the same kick in the ass Armia got

Barclay Goodrow
His buyout just kind of sucks because of the final year signing bonus he somehow got included solely to protect from buyout

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I can’t imagine Holl is around next season. His NHL career is over IMO

Really intrigued to see what happens with PLD as well
He gets at least one more deal for sure but it'll be like 1 mill, he's a big right shooting D people will try to fix him forever

Travis Hamonic for sure. Possibly Anton Forsberg as well.
Hamonic was an underratedly stupid move by Dorion last summer. A player like that getting a full NMC is insane

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014

Patrik Laine? They'd save almost 5 millions in cash

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I highly doubt they'd buyout either but Anderson has looked straight up disinterested and like he's lost all confidence of late so that's more of the reason I wonder about him. Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up starting the year in Laval to try to give him the same kick in the ass Armia got
I don't think there's anyone in the league that's hit more posts this year. Every now and then he has a game where he might get out of the funk with a goal and go on a streak only to ring iron. I still contend the thing to do is hypnotize him to think he's playing the Leafs every night. He plays his best against them.

Newhook isn't really a center and Evans isn't a great distributor. As a result, Andy doesn't have someone to set him up. Best thing for him is the summer break. Come back next year after getting away from the game for a bit.

Gallagher contract is the worst on the team imo. He will be on LTIRetirement before it expires.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Jack Campbell.

He's started putting up decent numbers in Bakers after a brutal start even at the low league. He's injury insurance for this season and then a prime buyout candidate. I think the cost to trade it (the contract) to another team to buyout is just too high. We can't eat 2 1st to dump it and we can't afford to further ride out 5m dead space.

As for the OP question on Dubois, no matter how bad he performs, even if he's abysmal in the playoffs for them, it would be a fireable offence to buy him out after the price they just paid to get him.

For Montreal and Anderson I can't see that one either. GM overvalue the power forward types. I'd assume Montreal if they absolutely wanted him gone could retain 50% and get an asset vs a buyout and getting nothing.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad