• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
...and again

Drastic systematic changes like that just don't fly in the middle of the season, and it's no one's fault. You're taught one thing from the get-go and its hard to adjust on the fly like that. Minor adjustments, like a forecheck strategy, are easy to learn and adapt. Completely altering the way a team exits its own zone is not something that's easily done mid-season. Good on Sullivan for trying but it's just not gonna work. The beginning of this year could be a true test as to whether Sullivan's hit his expiration date.

And it’s not the middle of the season. Based on what you said he doesn’t adjust and he doesn’t have the room. Your words, not mine. So what’s the excuse for keeping him?

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
“Sullivan doesn’t adjust” is just outting yourself as somebody who has no idea what is going on.

In the last 2 playoffs, did you ever see Sully sneaking Sid on/off to get desired matchups? Remember when he did that with Schultz during the first playoff run?

I saw none of that, did you?

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
In the last 2 playoffs, did you ever see Sully sneaking Sid on/off to get desired matchups? Remember when he did that with Schultz during the first playoff run?

I saw none of that, did you?

I’m not going to remember specific instances of Crosby’s linematching lol

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
I’m using your words. You brush off Sullivan not adjusting by saying the players don’t listen and it was the middle of season. Well it’s not the middle of the season, the players aren’t listening. Why are they keeping him? He should be able to adjust at any time if he’s a good coach.
That was one example I gave to address a specific issue you had. And are you suggesting that he should be making adjustments in July?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I’m using your words. You brush off Sullivan not adjusting by saying the players don’t listen and it was the middle of season. Well it’s not the middle of the season, the players aren’t listening. Why are they keeping him? He should be able to adjust at any time if he’s a good coach.

Why do I feel like I've watched this argument before?

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Nearly 3 out of 4 Pens fans on this board are either ready to fire Sullivan outright or are teetering on the edge. One poor playoff performance and it's come to that. 2 years after back to back, which has never happened in the cap era.

I swear to God if we win the Cup again under his reign, anyone voting Jack Johnson should automatically be banned from this sub forum for life.

To quote my avatar:

"People this stupid shouldn't be allowed to live".

Reactions: froods

froods

I blame Paul Martin and Jack Johnson
Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
It’s scary how much people are spewing the exact same reasons to defend Sully as those who defended Bylsma in 2012.

Winning record
You can’t win every year
He’s a Stanley Cup winning coach
Who else would you hire

Rinse and repeat.

I’m still waiting for people to share why he’s a good coach with something of substance and not fluff vague reasons.

Guentzel has improved? That happens...

Do you like his strategy? His (lack) of in-game changes?

Why is he a good coach? The negatives greatly outweigh the positives.
Results. The only thing that actually matters.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Nearly 3 out of 4 Pens fans on this board are either ready to fire Sullivan outright or are teetering on the edge. One poor playoff performance and it's come to that. 2 years after back to back, which has never happened in the cap era.

I swear to God if we win the Cup again under his reign, anyone voting Jack Johnson should automatically be banned from this sub forum for life.

To quote my avatar:

It wasn’t just a poor playoff performance, he’s been awful for 2 years. He keeps forcing players out of Pittsburgh, and it seems the team gave up on him or have phased him out.

It’s mind boggling that everyone isn’t very concerned about his abilities after the last 2 seasons.

Reactions: Mario_is_BACK!!

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
It wasn’t just a poor playoff performance, he’s been awful for 2 years. He keeps forcing players out of Pittsburgh, and it seems the team gave up on him or have phased him out.

It’s mind boggling that everyone isn’t very concerned about his abilities after the last 2 seasons.

Scotty Bowman forced a lot of people out during his career. A lot of GREAT players.

Lots of great coaches get rid of players who don't do what they want them to.

And there isn't a single person on this board that has any insight to the locker room and players tuning Sullivan out. I find it hilarious that players tuned INTO Sullivan and won back to back Cups and then in less than 2 years said, "f*** this guy, he doesn't know what the hell he's doing". It's an unoriginal, hypothetical, scapegoat argument for people who pretend to be "in the know".

But hey, keep believing the 1-2 yellow journalists who stir shit up because that's how they make a living...

Reactions: froods

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
not to add anything to this silly debate, but I am watching Game 1 against Isles...and its 2:2, Pens on the PP, glorious look for Horny, later good chance for Pets if that goes in, who knows how this ends...hockey is such a weird and random game of momentums and crazy things,
Is sully in fault that he was not able to move Sid's line from the Islenders' fourth line that dominated them all four games...maybe, but if I were Sully, Iprobably would do the same and believe that Sid and Jake will pick it up...

Reactions: Turin

froods

Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON

100 points is awful after his half his roster has turned around? Really?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
not to add anything to this silly debate, but I am watching Game 1 against Isles...and its 2:2, Pens on the PP, glorious look for Horny, later good chance for Pets if that goes in, who knows how this ends...hockey is such a weird and random game of momentums and crazy things,
Is sully in fault that he was not able to move Sid's line from the Islenders' fourth line that dominated them all four games...maybe, but if I were Sully, Iprobably would do the same and believe that Sid and Jake will pick it up...

I actually thought the McCann-Malkin-Horny line looked sort of dangerous in that one (after McCann got hurt, different story, because you need a healthy Hags/McCann type on the other wing for Geno-Horny to have a chance to work).

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I actually thought the McCann-Malkin-Horny line looked sort of dangerous in that one (after McCann got hurt, different story, because you need a healthy Hags/McCann type on the other wing for Geno-Horny to have a chance to work).
I did not even want to bring that up, (my Geno bias is well documented), I am watching it and they are just flying, Geno is playing really well setting up Horny and McCann, left and right, until that last play when Tanger f... up and Dumolin pretends he is the statue of liberty...

Reactions: KIRK

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

To quote my avatar:

I’ve been saying Sullivan isn’t the problem. But, Kessel just got moved for him. If this team nose dives offensively and can’t make up for it by playing a solid two way game. They 100% should fire Sullivan because he is the main reason Phil isn’t here.

Cole, Sprong. Those were deserved. Kessel at 6.8 for Galchenyuk, a prospect and Tanev. That is value, but purposefully low value due to a work relationship.

froods

Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
I’ve been saying Sullivan isn’t the problem. But, Kessel just got moved for him. If this team nose dives offensively and can’t make up for it by playing a solid two way game. They 100% should fire Sullivan because he is the main reason Phil isn’t here.

Cole, Sprong. Those were deserved. Kessel at 6.8 for Galchenyuk, a prospect and Tanev. That is value, but purposefully low value due to a work relationship.
They didn’t move Kessel for him, c’mon now. They made a decision as an organization that his inability to commit to playing hard was a cancer. We could all see it ourselves.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
They didn’t move Kessel for him, c’mon now. They made a decision as an organization that his inability to commit to playing hard was a cancer. We could all see it ourselves.

No. The coach and the player had issues.

That is fine. The coach or the player won. Just like if Sullivan got fired and Kessel stayed it’s up to the party that thought they were right to prove it.

Reactions: HandshakeLin

froods

Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
No. The coach and the player had issues.

That is fine. The coach or the player won. Just like if Sullivan got fired and Kessel stayed it’s up to the party that thought they were right to prove it.
No, the player has had issues his entire career with this stuff. He is on his 4th team now. I get you want to paint this narrative that it was a personal issue, but he is a shitty worker on the ice. Coaches don’t like lazy players.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
No, the player has had issues his entire career with this stuff. He is on his 4th team now. I get you want to paint this narrative that it was a personal issue, but he is a ****ty worker on the ice. Coaches don’t like lazy players.

You're not wrong about Phil, but @pixiesfanyo is right about Sullivan and his 'issues' with players too.

Kessel’s issue with coaching have rarely been play on the ice and always personality.

The issue only arises, after a few years pass, once the team isn't winning enough. It's Phil in part, and Phil is make the scapegoat in other part.

EDIT: I just think this one is the quintessential gray area.

Reactions: Peat

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I think trading Phil made sense now due to his on ice play alone, and think if he wasn’t so f***ing terrible defensively that they would’ve have rode it out, quirky personality and all. It made sense to trade him due to his age and contract, period.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
I’m not going to remember specific instances of Crosby’s linematching lol

Oh so you don't remember NYI's 4th line owning Crosby and Sully failing to move him away from them?

You can't claim in 1 sentence "people who say he doesn't adjust are morons" yet not notice when adjustments ARE NOT made. That's completely incongruent

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017

To quote my avatar:

Uh it's not "one poor playoff performance"

Do you think the last 2 regular seasons we've looked ok?
Heck we BARELY clinched a playoff berth on the last day of the regular season

I've talked in a previous post about the lack of adjustments. Did you see any the past 2 playoff attempts? Where is Sully double shifting Sid and sneaking him on to get him a better matchup?

There's been a perverse regression in terms of eye test and results since that day in Nashville a few years ago

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad