• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ChrisKuuuunitz

4 time champ
Jan 14, 2015
there
635983977666371105-USP-NHL--Nashville-Predators-at-Pittsburgh-Penguin.jpg

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Posted this in the other thread:

Really like the Sully extension. He’s a really good coach and don’t want the distraction of contracts hanging around. He seems pretty smart at staying ahead of the NHL in terms of a winning style and what’s best for this team. It took a group effort to **** up last year. Sully almost has the roster he’d want now so dependant on the last moves of JR we should be in for a really good year.

Also if other teams start talking to him you run the risk of losing him. The term is whatever. Thought 3 years would be better but maybe the yearly money comes down a bit. Anywho if he’s fired he’ll get another coaching job so they’ll take on that money or a good portion of it.

Also probably is telling what Sid/Geno think of him as a coach.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Weird timing of it. It's almost like the organization is doubling down on "it's Phil Kessel's fault we lost, our coach is awesome" theme.

I would have rather they waited until mid-season, at least, to see how the team performs over the first half. If it looks like the team has improved its work ethic and structure, then sign him. If not, they maybe it was time to move on from him. Now you're either stuck with him for 4 years or have to get the ownership's approval to get rid of someone with that much term left.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Weird timing of it. It's almost like the organization is doubling down on "it's Phil Kessel's fault we lost, our coach is awesome" theme.

I would have rather they waited until mid-season, at least, to see how the team performs over the first half. If it looks like the team has improved its work ethic and structure, then sign him. If not, they maybe it was time to move on from him. Now you're either stuck with him for 4 years or have to get the ownership's approval to get rid of someone with that much term left.
Exactly this.

Reactions: KIRK

ChrisKuuuunitz

4 time champ
Jan 14, 2015
there
ya I would have rather seen a 2 year extension, I still like him as a coach, but you wonder if his message gets old hearing the same voice and same things.

I also feel like he just couldn't figure out the lines at all last year, which really hurt us in the playoffs

smetana

B2B2B2B HA Champs
Aug 5, 2006
USA I.1
I love Sully, and I try to give him every benefit of the doubt, so I have no problem with this.

However, in the context of all recent events, non-events, and rumblings, I clicked over here and saw the thread, and just laughed out loud.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Well I'd like to thank the Penguins for officially ruining my long weekend

Here I thought they were FINALLY putting the screws to Sully by hiring his de facto replacement if things went south early in the year (odds are that they indeed will)

So they purposely painted themselves into a corner before they had to (see JJ contract and Tanev). I mean nothing precludes extending him during the middle of the year or immediately after this season if they like what they saw

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Term isn’t really an issue because they can fire him. Money shouldn’t be an issue because he likely goes into another coaching job and they pay for it (or most of it)

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Well I'd like to thank the Penguins for officially ruining my long weekend

Here I thought they were FINALLY putting the screws to Sully by hiring his de facto replacement if things went south early in the year (odds are that they indeed will)

So they purposely painted themselves into a corner before they had to (see JJ contract and Tanev). I mean nothing precludes extending him during the middle of the year or immediately after this season if they like what they saw
It's just dumb. It's like they completely ignored the last two years or just chalked it up to Phil's fault. That's a dangerous level of stupid.

Reactions: Jjbuck

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Extension was needed before the season, can’t have a lame duck coach without a contract.

If Sullivan hit the open market he would be getting PAID with a 5-6 year deal.

He has most of the traits I want in a Pens coach and I’m in no real hurry to see him go.

JR needs to keep building around what Sullivan preaches and get away from the dinosaur mentality.

If JR gives Sullivan the actual roster he wants I have zero doubts they can contend with him again.

If JR keeps giving his master chef Spam and Twinkies, ya, the extension was a huge waste of his bosses’ money.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Term isn’t really an issue because they can fire him. Money shouldn’t be an issue because he likely goes into another coaching job and they pay for it (or most of it)

But what has better optics:
a) Firing a coach with 1 year left on his contract OR
b) Firing a coach with 5 years left?

Furthermore, are you likely to can a coach after you've just negotiated an extension with him? That smacks of bad faith AND you're less likely to pull the trigger

But that's JR for you: bidding against himself when there's zero reason to....

Reactions: Mario_is_BACK!!

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I think as long as Sully has a Tocchet like presence assistant coach we will be in really good shape. As @ColePens said most coaches in the NHL don't have long shelf lives even winners Like Quinnville and Sutter. I think the days of Lindy Ruff running a franchise for 10+years or whatever it was are long gone.

I like Sully, I think he's a good coach, he guided us to back to back cups, and as long as he has the players for his system he will do well. He needs to evolve a bit, but Reaves/JJ were clearly not his idea.

Reactions: td_ice

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad