Confirmed with Link: Sullivan signs 3-year extension

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
A big upgrade on our last two coaches. Did Bylsma have the record for fastest to 100 wins? Think MS could beat that.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
A big upgrade on our last two coaches. Did Bylsma have the record for fastest to 100 wins? Think MS could beat that.

I just read 25% of wins under Sully have been coming back from 2 or more. Wow.

Dread Pirate Roberts

Jul 2, 2008
Mountain West
I always worry about term with coaching contracts in the NHL. All hockey coaches have an expiration date, even the good ones. Most hockey coaches have very short expiration dates. The good ones are more like 5-8 years. If Sullivan isn't a good one, this contract is long enough to cause a problem. Let's hope he's really good.

That said, there's no question Sully deserved an extension.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I always worry about term with coaching contracts in the NHL. All hockey coaches have an expiration date, even the good ones. Most hockey coaches have very short expiration dates. The good ones are more like 5-8 years. If Sullivan isn't a good one, this contract is long enough to cause a problem. Let's hope he's really good.

That said, there's no question Sully deserved an extension.

You need to post that on the sabres board

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
At least he won the cup with his own system. That's why he'll stick around.

We should expect more of the same with him. Other then injuries or some other unfortunate act they should challenge this year. There are no guarantees on the final outcome, though.

I'm fine with the signing.

+++

That's a very good point, he changed almost everything about the Penguins on his way to the Cup. DB was able to build on a lot of things that were already in place and make some adjustments to get his Cup.

Sullivan had a vision for how the team should play and he managed to get them to do so quickly. He was proven to be right about what was wrong with the Penguins and now the questions are:
Can he keep them on track for years without losing the room?
Can he adapt? His system will be picked apart, teams will try to find areas to exploit in the playoffs.

3 years is a long time for coaches, but it's well deserved and the Penguins really had no choice but to reward him.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Well earned. I doubt that anyone will have much bad to say about this signing. He is a nearly perfect fit for the talent and temperment on this team.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Well deserved. There's still a handful of stuff I don't agree with regarding his line combinations/player usage, but overall the good has outweighed the bad.

The key now is his adaptability. One of Bylsma's biggest problems was his refusal to change when what he was doing wasn't working. Hopefully Sullivan can avoid that pitfall.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
People that don't get the Guentzel thing are short sighted. Yeah the kid had moments where he shows he can be in the NHL, but he is still pretty raw and getting a taste and sending him back down and then recalling him a few more times before the season ends means this kid is going to be more hungry around the playoffs and next year, he'll have his spot.

I feel like some things are still the same and that means there's someone that is meddling with the team and the one person that is still here from the Bylsma/Shero era is Bill Guerin (or even Jason Botterill if you want to maybe lump him in too - Kunitz stuff, etc).

If anything I want Sundqvist to get his cup of tea this season, just to see what he's learned and see where Sullivan uses him. I was a big fan of him being sent to the AHL so he can grow his offensive side of his game, everyone here was up in arms about that, so happy to see him flourish there.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Well earned. I doubt that anyone will have much bad to say about this signing. He is a nearly perfect fit for the talent and temperment on this team.

The production he's gotten out of our stars alone is awesome. But yeah, if anything, I kind of want to see Sullivan when he has more of his guys in place. I think Martin is likely gone after this season.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
He's been the best Penguins coach in a long time, it's great to see. Hopefully he doesn't sour on the team like Therrien did, but he's a solid coach right now. The complaints about him are microscopic compared to Bylsma.

He's definitely the best coach we've had for 20 years.

I dunno. He is demanding and strict, but hopefully this core group understands the need for that after the country club Bylsma ran.

He is demanding and strict, but I also think he knows when to let guys go. He doesn't seem overbearing to me. He seems like a guy that has a real good feel for the room and knows when to press and when to let off.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Good. In spite of the line up gaffes, he's been great.

People that don't get the Guentzel thing are short sighted. Yeah the kid had moments where he shows he can be in the NHL, but he is still pretty raw and getting a taste and sending him back down and then recalling him a few more times before the season ends means this kid is going to be more hungry around the playoffs and next year, he'll have his spot.

The issue, of course, is that his raw worst is better than his competition's overcooked best.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
The only way a guy like Guentzel is going to grow is to be at the NHL level. Him racking up 3 points a game in the AHL is doing him no good.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Another crazy thing, I went to look at the points in the AHL. Kenny Agostino is leading the way. Jake Guentzel is #3, Oskar Sundqvist is #10, and Kaspari Kapanen is #17.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The issue, of course, is that his raw worst is better than his competition's overcooked best.

If treating Guentzel like a yo-yo gets the best out of him at play-off time and throughout his career, then that's more important as to whether Kunitz offers more than a burger made out of jerky.

That's assuming it does get the best out of him and that he is up at play-off time though.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
If treating Guentzel like a yo-yo gets the best out of him at play-off time and throughout his career, then that's more important as to whether Kunitz offers more than a burger made out of jerky.

That's assuming it does get the best out of him and that he is up at play-off time though.

Why the **** would it do that?

Play the best players. Period.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
The only way a guy like Guentzel is going to grow is to be at the NHL level. Him racking up 3 points a game in the AHL is doing him no good.

I'd say it's fine, FOR NOW.
It's good to see what exactly Sheary, Wilson and Kuhnackl really are before you toss em aside.

He'll most deffo be a full time NHL'er next season so not too worried about it.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
It's good to see what exactly Sheary, Wilson and Kuhnackl really are before you toss em aside.

Those are not the players who should be tossed aside.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Those are not the players who should be tossed aside.

:laugh: Yeah, I was wondering why those three are the names people think those who support Guentzel playing want him replacing.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Nice guarenteed pay day for him. Well deserved.
Probably makin' 2-3M a yr.

In the end JR+Sully may end up(or probably will end up) > than Shero+DB.
Time for JR to get to work.

That's what Freidman thinks. From Jan 10th, 30 thoughts.

"18. Coaches always like to see their salary bar raised. Word is Mike Sullivan’s extension took him into the $2M–$3M range. Well-deserved and another step up the ladder for NHL bench bosses. They were happy to hear that."

deathtouchtrample

May 5, 2014
That's what Freidman thinks. From Jan 10th, 30 thoughts.

"18. Coaches always like to see their salary bar raised. Word is Mike Sullivan’s extension took him into the $2M–$3M range. Well-deserved and another step up the ladder for NHL bench bosses. They were happy to hear that."

Is this implying most coaches make under that? I would assume that would be about average. Isn't babcock the highest paid at $5 mill?

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $400.00