Suggested Rule Change taken from NBA

TB1299

Apr 13, 2016
In the NBA you have a limited number of fouls a team can commit in each quarter. After 5 team fouls you go into the bonus which means each team foul/penalty turns into a shooting foul.

While very different. I would like to that concept applied with icings. Each team could be given 5 icings each period. After the fifth icing a team would receive a one minute penalty.

I think this would create more offense because of the obvious Powerplay but force teams to make a play in cases where they would just ice the puck which would create turnovers and just more excitement.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
The equivalent to that would be kind of like taking 5 penalties in on period and being down to 4 players the rest of the period. Not really but yours is even more off. This rule is lost in translation between the two leagues

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
...six replies so far and four of them are "lol nba" type posts. Somehow I'm not all that surprised.

I think it's an interesting concept to consider (the idea of something extra for "repeat offenders") but I'm not sure if I'd go for the rule as stated.

Miggus

Feb 8, 2011
Oh yes, because icings only occur when the other teams wants to relieve pressure on their end and ices the puck. Never when teams are actually trying to launch an offense with a long first pass that just misses its' target.

You're thinking resulting powerplays and turnovers. I'm thinking how this would change the game when teams would start to avoid icing the puck at any cost by gaining the red line first, which would then lead to the neutral zone trap. If you want a glimpse of how exciting this would be, watch the snoozefest that is team Finland in this year's World Championships.

HydroF

Mar 27, 2014
Vacaville
Interesting idea. I would be a bit concerned about the potential for controversy considering the refs have to make a judgement call on both first to the hash marks and more importantly did the other team make an effort to get the puck rather than let it go for icing. These too many icing penalties would be coming at the end of the period, potentially crucial moments of the game, with one team now having extra incentive to let the pucks go for icing and leaving it to the refs to decide if they actually tried or not sounds like a situation that is going to set up a lot of fans for more complaints about the refs.

May 17, 2009
Maine
I would rather see something like this applied to the delay of game penalty. I hate the over the glass rule because there are times where a guy is simply trying to play the puck out of danger but sails it -- stupid penalty in that situation. Give each team two 'over the glass' mulligans (per game) and then start handing out penalties.

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
Stretch passes often result in icings.

You'll be reducing the amount of breakaways, odd-man rushes, etc.

No thanks. Good thought though.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Not a bad rule idea.

But the problem is that refs intentionally don't call a lot of current rules.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
The league doesn't need to make such a fundamental change. Call the rule book. Call it in the playoffs. I don't care if there are a few games to start a season where there are 20 penalties. If the players are told, and the league grows a spine, they'll learn and adapt.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
A shot clock on the power play would work. Instead of passing it around all the time shoot the puck. A 10-15 second shot clock could work.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I worry this will result in a less penalties called. Something we don't need right now.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
A shot clock on the power play would work. Instead of passing it around all the time shoot the puck. A 10-15 second shot clock could work.
Umm that should just be on the coach / system. And plus it would ruin the excitement of hearing everyone constantly yelling shoot.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Nooooooooo

It's bad enough we have the arbitrary 'delay of game' penalty for putting the puck over the glass, the game doesn't need extra arbitrary power plays, the refs just need to actually start calling obstruction and interference and there will be enough PPs to go around

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad